PDA

View Full Version : Is there a hammock for the husky male?

bbanker
12-08-2005, 09:28
Do you guys know of a hammock for those above approaching 250. I'm thinking of moving toward this type of shelter, and this seems to be the max weight for alteast the hennessy. I yo-yo between 230 and 250, and if you add some gear, clothes and a sleeping bag, could easliy end up with a suprise trip to the ground and a useless trashed 300 piece of equipment. Any suggstions?

neo
12-08-2005, 10:08
Do you guys know of a hammock for those above approaching 250. I'm thinking of moving toward this type of shelter, and this seems to be the max weight for alteast the hennessy. I yo-yo between 230 and 250, and if you add some gear, clothes and a sleeping bag, could easliy end up with a suprise trip to the ground and a useless trashed 300 piece of equipment. Any suggstions?

the hennessey hammock has several models that are 250 to 350 lb rated:cool: neo

http://www.hennessyhammock.com/catalogue.htm

tlbj6142
12-08-2005, 10:11
Note that Hennessy's hammocks assume you'll have 25# of gear as well. So, a 200# rated hammock is really rated at 225#. IOW, use your naked weight when buying a hammock.

Just Jeff
12-08-2005, 10:12
Speer 8.5C

www.speerhammocks.com

jlb2012
12-08-2005, 11:46
I'm happy with my HH Explorer Deluxe

I'm a lot less happy with my Speer 8.5C.

I weigh about 20 lbs more than you do BBanker.

hammock engineer
12-08-2005, 12:22
I have the HH altralight. I weight around 220. It holds up really well. I think the cords have a tendency to streach the first few times you use it. Other than that mine seems really solid. I think as said before they put a certain saftey factor into them. I would fell safe in mine with around 275 in it. Just a felling though, no data to back it up.

Youngblood
12-08-2005, 12:29
I just want to point out that hammocks need to be inspected from time to time for excessive wear and potential failures. Ropes get stressed quite a bit and the part of the suspension that attaches to the trees is subject to a fair amount of abrasion as well. Use common sense and treat them as if your backside depended on them... because, well, it does.

Lumberjack
12-08-2005, 14:25
I use the ul-asym model rated at 200. I run around 250 these days. No signs of stress anywhere on the hammock after many uses... Space inside seems more the issue then weight to me.

Auntie Mame
12-08-2005, 19:55
Look into the Clark Jungle Hammock, "North American." Its for the big guys, super stable, all the bells and whistles. My husband has one and its beautifully made. He's sold. 6'2, 210-220#.

FatMan
12-08-2005, 20:15
I use the HH Explorer Deluxe and love it. I'm 6'2" / 265lbs and share it with my 45-50lb dog.

TooTall
12-08-2005, 20:34
I'm 6'7" and 300lbs and have no trouble with the Hennessy Hammock Explorer Deluxe:

http://www.hennessyhammock.com/sp-tall.htm

Too Tall Paul

bbanker
12-08-2005, 23:02
Thanks all.

swear bear
12-16-2005, 10:59
try the h. h. safari deluxe, i'm 6'5 235 and still have plenty of room to move.

newhampshire camper
01-08-2006, 13:05
bbanker, I would suggest the HH Safari model. I own one not because I am big but because I wanted to be able to bring gear into the hammock if the elements got really bad and still be able to be comfortable. It can hold the weight NO PROBLEM.....between my wife and I we weigh about 360 and we both were able to lay in it for a short time with no problems. My .02

nyushka42
01-20-2006, 15:59
Since so many of you have the Hennessy Hammock Explorer Deluxe, figure I'll ask here... Mine hasn't arrived in the mail yet (ordered it a few days ago), and I've never even set up a hammock (considering I live in an apartment, it might be a while before I can try it out). Anyway, my question is...
How warm is the HED without blankets/sleeping bags? I'll be hiking May through July, and I'm wondering, do I need the extra weight of a blanket?

hogn8r
01-21-2006, 00:02
My no cover temp is about 70 deg. Anything below that and I take insulation, at least for the bottom. However, a lot depends on what other cold gear you plan to bring. You could just as well sleep in all your clothing as bring a blanket or CCF pad, depending on the temps of course. There is tons of info for staying warm and what temps require what insulation. Just look around on here:
http://www.tothewoods.net/JeffsHikingPage.html
Jeff's pages, the all encompassing Hammock how to web-site :)
Lot's of good info.

minnesotasmith
01-21-2006, 02:02
Is a hammock being built to be level when in use. The impression I have about hiking-weight hammocks is that they all curve when under load to an extent they would absolutely kill my back, if I slept in one.

Just Jeff
01-21-2006, 11:21
Hrm. Then maybe you should sleep in one and find out. You can get almost completely flat...it actually feels flat even though it's not totally flat.

Think about this - are you really flat when you sleep in your bed? You have a pillow lifting your head, some folks have a pillow under the knees to relieve back strain, and nearly everyone changes positions throughout the night to relieve those pressure points caused from laying completely flat. Hammocks resolve many of these issues.

But it's not for everybody. You may not like it, but it's definitely worth finding out for sure, IMO. Or you can keep sleeping on the rocks and roots if that's more comfortable to you! :p