PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know about this BUG

canoe
11-28-2015, 00:02
Just read about this crazy bug. Just something else to think about
http://www.syracuse.com/us-news/index.ssf/2015/11/deadly_kissing_bug_in_half_of_us_states_triatomine .html

imscotty
11-28-2015, 01:40
Chagas is a serious infection. It can lie dormant for years and most people who have it may not know. It is a significant problem, especially among the poor of Central America. The 'Kissing Bug' is not something you would want to see migrating north.

AtWokman
11-28-2015, 08:42
Can cause heart failure 10-30 years later... Sounds like marriage.

Old Hiker
11-28-2015, 12:24
Actually had an all caps headline on Facebook: CALL 911 IF YOU SEE THIS BUG !! As if 911 can do anything about it.

I'll take my chances here in FL with the other invasives.

jdc5294
11-28-2015, 13:35
Aren't they also called assassin bugs? I'm almost positive I used to see them in Pennsylvania.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ryjohnson09
11-28-2015, 16:31
Aren't they also called assassin bugs? I'm almost positive I used to see them in Pennsylvania.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a brief intro into these bugs during my graduate studies...but i'm more of a bacteria kinda guy. Anywho, I think the "assassin bug" and "kissing bug" are phylogenetically similar (same Superfamily), but there differ slightly in there subgroupings. Very similar looking bugs though. Kissing bug gets it's name from it's bite which typically occurs on one's face when they are sleeping (like the bug is "kissing" you). The parasite comes from the bugs feces which is usually spread into the bite by humans when they touch their face.

While I do believe the migration of these bugs north (NOBO?) is a very bad thing in regards to public health...I think ticks will remain the most worrisome bug on the AT for years to come.

canoe
11-28-2015, 17:11
I

While I do believe the migration of these bugs north (NOBO?) is a very bad thing in regards to public health...I think ticks will remain the most worrisome bug on the AT for years to come.

You are probably right but this bug is plain nasty.

Cotton Terry
11-28-2015, 18:37
I think ticks will remain the most worrisome bug on the AT for years to come.

My wife is a clinical microbiologist and agrees.

shelb
11-28-2015, 22:44
I wonder why we haven't heard more about this....????

canoe
11-28-2015, 23:38
I wonder why we haven't heard more about this....???? I wonder the same thing

greentick
11-29-2015, 00:05
I wonder why we haven't heard more about this....????

Would it stop you from hiking?