PDA

View Full Version : Rain gear choice discussion

mksapp
11-28-2015, 12:39
Im thinking about using The Packa along with Zpacks Challenger Rain pants.... possibly the Zpacks Challenger Rain Gaiters for my thru hike. What rain gear do you prefer and why?

Hikes in Rain
11-28-2015, 13:49
Campmor ultralight poncho. Sometimes rain pants (I don't remember the brand), if lots of rain is in the forecast (which it usually is when I hike). Covers the pack, and I have an extra tarp if needed.

JohnG10
11-29-2015, 00:28
I like a rain jacket and pants when it's chilly, and a poncho in the summer. The jackets are all too hot to hike in during the summer. The. Pants are too hot to hike in except when it's winter or the shoulder season.

capehiker
11-29-2015, 02:17
I use a first generation Zpacks rain jacket and their cuben rain kilt. 8 ounces of protection.

Ercoupe
11-29-2015, 08:15
I use the Precip Jacket and a light 55 gallon garbage bag with a duct taped shock cord waist, bag is surprising tough. I hike in cooler weather and the jacket works well as a wind break, as well as adds warmth on those cold morning. The light weight dri ducks worked well also, however very easy to tear, pants did not breathe at all.

HeartFire
11-29-2015, 08:36
LightHeart Gear (http://www.lightheartgear.com) rain wrap - on sale now - also a great rain jacket and rain pants are available. The Hoodie pack cover (http://lightheartgear.com/index.php/rain-gear/admin) is really great for summer time when you don't want a jacket, but want to keep the rain off your head and shoulders.

mksapp
11-29-2015, 16:29
I have heard of a lot of people using kilts or wraps and just going on with wet feet. I've been told no matter what I'm going to end up walking countless miles with wet feet. Personally how is your hiking affected and what do you do about your wet feet?

adamussg
11-29-2015, 18:23
I use a 1.50 Walmart poncho and a 4 dollar umbrella hat. Every raincoat I've had/tried I end up soaked in sweat anyway. The coat ends up stinking and being sent home and or thrown out. The poncho doubles as a windbreaker and costs next to nothing to replace.

mattjv89
11-29-2015, 18:48
I have heard of a lot of people using kilts or wraps and just going on with wet feet. I've been told no matter what I'm going to end up walking countless miles with wet feet. Personally how is your hiking affected and what do you do about your wet feet?

For the most part you are gonna have wet feet much of the time it rains. I did hike with one guy who wore waterproof mid top boots and calf length gaiters through the entire trail and I believe he was mostly successful at keeping his feet dry from rain, maybe not so much from sweat. I used a rain kilt and
just got my feet soaked all the time. My hiking wasn't affected much at all, if you've got a fit issue causing blisters or hot spots they'll probably be worse in the rain but that's about it. Your feet will look like ghostly raisins at the end of the day, a liberal helping of gold bond and dry sleeping socks before crawling into your bag makes it all better.

redseal
11-29-2015, 18:57
I used the Packa for years. I liked the all in one poncho and pack cover, but I never really fell in love with it. Now that I got my money's worth, I switched to a traditional pack cover and no rain clothes unless it is going to be cold out. Then I like the Patagonia Storm Racer jacket.

Snowcrash
11-29-2015, 22:06
Anybody ever used a Snugpak Patrol Poncho? Seems sort of like a cheap a** version of the Packa, but more ponchoish.

shelb
11-30-2015, 00:18
Hoodie pack cover (http://lightheartgear.com/index.php/rain-gear/admin) is really great for summer time when you don't want a jacket, but want to keep the rain off your head and shoulders.

In the summer, I only worry about my pack getting wet. My newest (and favorite!) pack did not come with a rain fly, so I pirated one from another pack. I think this Hoodie pack cover thing might work well as a pack cover. If I don't have the hoody up, does it ruin the pack cover affect?

CoconutTree
11-30-2015, 00:24
According to my notes, the zpacks rain pants are 3.8 oz at $165. The montbell rain pants are 3.3 oz and $50 (japanese version). American version of the montbell rain pants probably weigh a little more and cost a little more, but are still compelling. I believe the japanese version has a shorter inseam which results in a slightly lower weight, which is fine with me.

Most cases of hypothermia happen in rainy conditions, and i have had a my own experience with that, so despite my sub 8 pound summer base weight, i do carry some extra raingear. i have montbell rain jacket and pants, plus silnylon poncho, plus waterproof gloves, plus a hat that isn't waterproof, but keeps rain off my face. How much i wear depends on the temperature.

I noticed if you allow yourself to get cold enough for your hands to go numb and stop working, it isn't so easy to get warmed up again. Just putting on warm clothes is painfully slow.

HeartFire
11-30-2015, 06:32
I think this Hoodie pack cover thing might work well as a pack cover. If I don't have the hoody up, does it ruin the pack cover affect?

32825this is the Hoodie Pack Cover with the cape and hood tucked away

HeartFire
11-30-2015, 06:34
I think this Hoodie pack cover thing might work well as a pack cover. If I don't have the hoody up, does it ruin the pack cover affect?

3282532826this is the Hoodie Pack Cover with the cape and hood tucked away and deployed.

Puddlefish
11-30-2015, 18:52
Patagonia runner's wind/rain shirt, Liteflex umbrella, ugly homemade silnylon rain mitts and wrap around rain kilt with a basic velcro closure, and a few inches of stretchy elastic, to replace the trash bag I was using.

Lot's of ventilation options, not so great in high wind. The umbrella keeps the glasses clearer than a dedicated rain hat. The feet get wet during the day, and pampered at night.

JohnG10
11-30-2015, 23:33

I just let my feet get wet, but I wear thicker wool socks so that my feet stay warm. If it stops raining, I change into dry socks. I hate walking around with squishing feet. I seem to lose to much skin that way...

If you want to keep your feet dry enough to minimize blisters in all-day rain for 3 days straight ---- then I'd recommend "going old school". I've hiked in week-long rains with 6" leather hiking boots that come up to just above the ankle bone (waterproofed with mink oil or snow seal), and a 1/4" thick rag wool sock + wicking liner sock combo - and not had my feet feel wet, or get pruny. My guess is that gortex boots would work the same way.

I think the 1/4" rag wool sock is the key - it has to be thick enough to absorb the sweat from your foot all day.

But now days, I prefer 1 lb hiking shoes over 3-4 lb boots more than I prefer dry feet.

In warmer weather, I also prefer the cool feeling of non gortex (breathable) shoes over the hot feeling of gortex shoes. It's not a huge problem either way though.

dudeijuststarted
12-01-2015, 00:19
Frogg Toggs / Dri Ducks. Excellent wind & rain protection as well as a wonderful shell layer to trap heat in camp. They wear out 1/2 way through a thru hike, and its only another $20 for a fresh suit. Bam.

daddytwosticks
12-01-2015, 08:17
I've not had a ton of experience hiking in prolonged rain. To me, keeping my pack dry and my core warm is key. Anything else is just a bonus. Your body will get wet from rain or sweat or both. :)

rafe
12-01-2015, 09:36
Frogg Toggs / Dri Ducks. Excellent wind & rain protection as well as a wonderful shell layer to trap heat in camp. They wear out 1/2 way through a thru hike, and its only another $20 for a fresh suit. Bam.

+1. They are bulky and ugly but they're breathable, keep out the rain, and add a bit of warmth which is often welcome in a cold rain. Also good around camp.

MuddyWaters
12-01-2015, 12:23
I usually have complete rainsuit in all but warmest weather. Doesnt matter if forecast is 0% chance of precip. Its an important piece of gear if somehow you are wet and its its windy. You can slip and fall in a puddle, it doesnt have to rain. Cover up and walk your clothes dry..ier.

Lyle
12-01-2015, 12:35
Brawny Gear silnylon rain jacket, ULA silnylon pack cover (modified to add two drain holes in the bottom), ULA silnylon rain skirt. Very light (about 8 oz for the three), packs extremely tiny, very versatile, effective, can keep pack covered at the same time I'm protected while getting water or setting up camp.

Been there, done that with ponchos: have to choose whether to protect you or the pack when you take the pack off, wind plays havoc with the poncho, difficult to get on by yourself.

Never used the Packa, I understand it addresses some of these issues, but you still must choose whether to protect you or the pack when you take the pack off - deal breaker for me.

mksapp
12-01-2015, 13:10
Thanks for all of the replies everyone! Sweat and having a dry back/dry pack straps is one of the main reasons I am leaning towards the Packa. As for Frogg Toggs I hate them with a passion. I can not even stand to hunt in Frogg Toggs for 3 hours let alone hike in them for days. I'd much rather have wet trail shoes than hike all day in bricks. I already have experience with wet feet as every spring I camp and trout fish in north Georgia on the Chatooga and spend the better part of 5 to 6 hours a day working my way up and down the river with wet trail shoes on. The only difference is i have dry SHOES to put on rather than just dry socks to squish back in wet shoes. I'm worried about the prolonged wet feet rubbing the skin of my feet.

Cedar Tree
12-01-2015, 23:06
I use rain pants with the Packa. Mine are some I got from Bass Pro Shop.... about $30 as I remember.

To Lyle: Never used the Packa, I understand it addresses some of these issues, but you still must choose whether to protect you or the pack when you take the pack off - deal breaker for me.

In all my years of hiking with a Packa, I can only remember one time I needed to be separated from my pack while it was raining. Then, I used my ground cloth from my tent to cover up my pack while I wore the packa. Now I carry my tarp in my pack's side pocket which I can reach through the Packa's pit zip without removing the packa. I can put it up and remove the packa from my pack and myself without getting wet.

Cedar Tree

redseal
12-06-2015, 19:27
Here is the Patagonia Storm Racer I just reviewed. I like it! http://www.backpackingengineer.com/gear-review-patagonia-storm-racer-jacket/

Connie
12-06-2015, 21:52
The only rain jacket I ever liked is the almost clear plastic type, that has mesh ventilation panels in place of the sideseams, made for bicyclists.

I would rather wear a belt around the outside of a poncho.

The way you use the Packa sounds good, to me.

I have admired ZPacks rain jacket. I just can't spend that because I have never before liked a rain jacket.

I really like the looks of the LightHeart Gear Rain Hoodie.

I am going over to look at ZPacks gaiters and rain kilt combination. I hadn't seen the gaiters and I have liked having gaiters for wet brush overgrowing the trail. If that cuben he has, I could shake off the excess water before stuffing in the mesh panel or hanging off the back of my backpack.

Christoph
12-06-2015, 22:53
On my attempt, I only used a frog toggs top. It is very light. I didn't go with rain pants or any type of gators. I found most of the time, my feet were wet anyway, either from rain out just plain sweat. What I did was swap socks every so often and let the others hang and dry (or wash in the rain). That's what worked for me so in my next attempt, I'll stick with that setup. Not much on having my legs covered unless I'm sitting around not doing anything.

Dogwood
12-07-2015, 00:40
... I'm worried about the prolonged wet feet rubbing the skin of my feet.

It's a concern but check out the discussion on Andrew Skurka's site on possible approaches to addressing the possible consequences of this.
http://andrewskurka.com/2012/minimizing-the-effects-and-aftermath-of-wet-feet/

hikerhobs
12-07-2015, 23:43
Campmor poncho, pack cover, and gaiters, I find I sweat with any rain gear I wear, but with the poncho I get some air up underneath.