PDA

View Full Version : compression bag for sleeping bag

Mouser999
11-29-2015, 15:34
Requesting suggestions for compression bag for 30 deg. Synthetic bag.

Thanks

MuddyWaters
11-29-2015, 15:39
double post

MuddyWaters
11-29-2015, 15:40
Over-compressing a synthetic is the absolute worst thing you can do for it.

People like sea2summit and granite gear however.

egilbe
11-29-2015, 15:43
I never use compression bags for synthetic sleeping bags. Just stuff it into the bottom of your pack.

4eyedbuzzard
11-29-2015, 15:45
For a 30° bag? I, and I think many others, will say none. Just use the stuff sack the manufacturer supplied. I can't offer any scientific proof, but over-compressing synthetic insulation generally isn't recommended - it tends to take a set and stay compressed more so than down. As it's a lightweight/lower loft bag to start with, you don't want to lose any of its loft by repeatedly squashing the doggie snot out of it.

cmoulder
11-29-2015, 18:16
For a 30° bag? I, and I think many others, will say none. Just use the stuff sack the manufacturer supplied. I can't offer any scientific proof, but over-compressing synthetic insulation generally isn't recommended - it tends to take a set and stay compressed more so than down. As it's a lightweight/lower loft bag to start with, you don't want to lose any of its loft by repeatedly squashing the doggie snot out of it.

+1

Don't compress synthetics. I put mine (EE Prodigy) in the bottom of the pack with no stuff sack whatsoever and let it fill up the space completely. Whatever compression it gets comes from the weight of the gear packed above it.

Franco
11-29-2015, 19:54
Generally you want to avoid over-compressing most things because you end up with space deficient bowling bowls and in the case of synthetic insulation you will shorten its life anyway.
If you want to protect the SB fabric , get a thin but largish sack so that , as suggested by several members, it can take at the bottom of your pack whatever shape is available there.

rustmd
11-29-2015, 21:50
i use a ULA Circuit backpack with a pack liner (i think z-pac?) and put my sleeping bag (Go-Lite down quilt, or Marmot Sawtooth down bag) into the pac liner, squish it down. . .i add whatever else i don't want to get wet on top, then roll close the pac liner, no more stuff sac for sleeping bag.

.com

Malto
11-29-2015, 21:55
Generally you want to avoid over-compressing most things because you end up with space deficient bowling bowls and in the case of synthetic insulation you will shorten its life anyway.
If you want to protect the SB fabric , get a thin but largish sack so that , as suggested by several members, it can take at the bottom of your pack whatever shape is available there.

This. It is counter intuitive but the not compressing into bowling balls allows more efficient packing.

pauly_j
11-30-2015, 04:55
I use a sea to summit e-vent for my synthetic bag. It's still a squeeze to get the compression bag in the sleeping bag compartment of my backpack (which is where I want it), so it makes no difference to me whether it is compressed in a bag or compressed loose. There is no lose space around it either way. Having it in a bag makes my life easier and keeps it dry.

Franco
11-30-2015, 05:17
If both your compression sack and your sleeping bag compartment in your backpack are of the exact same shape, it makes perfect sense.

Mouser999
11-30-2015, 09:50
Thanks for the assist, sorry there was a double post. Looks like I'll save some money and just shove it in its stuff sack then the pack

adamfbomb
01-04-2016, 12:54
You can use stuff sacks and put your knee on them to get all of the air out and then roll them up as well... You can find various sized stuff sacks as well, to better fit the space you're trying to fill.

HooKooDooKu
01-04-2016, 13:46
I can attest to over compressing quickly having a detrimental effect on synthetic.

I bought a North Face Tigger for my son when he started camping with me. Used a compression sack to help get all the gear to fit in his tiny little pack.
Within two or three years, I bought another Tigger and could readily see the difference in loft in the two bags after using the 1st one for only a couple of seasons of a half-dozen weekend trips.

BTW, the way I pack my sleeping bag is to stuff it in the stuff sack that came with it, and then fill in all the space around the bag and other gear with cloths.