PDA

View Full Version : Trip Recommendations

The Solemates
12-08-2005, 14:34
I have 4.5 days before the SoRuck to go hiking and my plan is to hike into the NOC in time for the festivities (read: food) on Saturday morning (ie, less than 5 miles or so on Sat morning, which I labeled the "half day"). I have several thoughts on what trails I want to hike, but wanted some opinions as well. I am looking to hike 60-80 miles. I know I could just hike the AT, but what other options of trails that may or may not join the AT so as to hike into NOC would people suggest?

Also, I will need a ride back to my car from SoRuck on Sunday or Monday. I'd like to set something up in advance if possible, so as to take the guess work outta it. Any takers?

Sly
12-08-2005, 14:42
You could hike part of the Bartram Trail in NC...

http://www.ncbartramtrail.org/index.htm

There's bound to be someone going your way back towards your car on Sunday afternoon or Monday.

The Solemates
12-08-2005, 14:43
Ive already done the bartram, and I prefer to hike something I havent done before...

Sly
12-08-2005, 14:50
Ive already done the bartram, and I prefer to hike something I havent done before...

Now you tell me.

What about a section of the Benton MacKaye Trail, doesn't that cross the AT near there?

Nightwalker
12-08-2005, 14:51
Bushwhack from Fontana. That'll be new, one would hope! :eek:

Sly
12-08-2005, 14:57
Forget the BMT. It doesn't appear to come close to the NOC.

The Solemates
12-08-2005, 15:04
Now you tell me.

What about a section of the Benton MacKaye Trail, doesn't that cross the AT near there?

Yes and no. It crosses about 30 miles north of the NOC, inside the smokies. that means i would only have 2 days on the benton mackaye because 2 of them would be eaten up heading SOBO on the AT towards NOC.

Is there a way to get from the chunky gal trail closer to NOC without hiking all the way to muskrat creek? like a connector trail?

Hikerhead
12-08-2005, 15:09
Park somewhere around Slick Rock, Joyce Kilmer. Hike the BMT into the southern edge of the Smokies. Pick up the AT right above Fontana Dam and hike south back to the NOC. You shouldn't have a hard time finding someone at the Ruck to drive you back to your car. Not sure about the trail mileage but I would think this would be about a 4 or 5 day hike.

Sly
12-08-2005, 15:10
How about checking out getting on the BMT in the Smokies near Bryson City and hiking that to the AT south?

Or whitewater rafting into the Ruck from parts unknown? ;)

The Solemates
12-13-2005, 11:12
I think Ive decided Im just gonna do the Bartram, starting at the GA/NC line, hiking to Cheoah Bald, and then backtracking on the AT back to NOC for the Ruckus, about 75 miles. A few questions:

Has anyone got any ideas about how to "hike around" the 14-mile road walk? Any revelation on this in the past few years since Ive done it last? ..other than aqua blazing it.

Any options for resupply midway through?

Anyone wanna volunteer to take me back to my car after the ruckus?