PDA

View Full Version : sleeping pad R's

squeezebox
11-30-2015, 17:06
I know there was a thread recently about inflatable pads and CCFs for cold weather. So I have a Neoaire Xlite at 3.2 R. So how cold can I go with this until I need to suppliment. I do sleep cold. I bought a short and a long.
Please and thank you.

nsherry61
11-30-2015, 17:32
It depends on what you are sleeping on. You'll probably be okay on just the xLite pad on the ground down to below freezing at night, when sleeping on ground that was above freezing during the day. You can go colder on forest duff than on hard dirt. I always add a CCF pad if I am planning on sleeping on snow or on ground that has been frozen all day.

LoneStranger
11-30-2015, 17:42
I will use mine down into the 20s with no issue before the snow comes. On snow I find I'm happier if I put my Trail Pro down first.

CarlZ993
11-30-2015, 17:45
I've used mine down to about 15 deg (sleeping surface = elevated wooden shelter floor). I wasn't cold on the back side. The sleeping bag was rated to 15 deg as well.

If I was expecting lower temps, I'd either add a CCF pad to the X-Lite or possibly a use different Thermarest w/ a higher R-Value.

squeezebox
11-30-2015, 17:48
Thanks !! .......

adamfbomb
01-04-2016, 12:55
I used a similar pad down to freezing and was okay, but I would recommend getting something extra to put underneath if it if you're planning on being out for more than a night or two.

Franco
01-04-2016, 17:12
Reading comments from people that find their 20F sleeping bag cold at 30F and the like , most of the time the problem is not the sb but a below par mat.
To put it another way, often folk carry a far warmer SB than they need because their mat can't handle the temps.
That does not work well anyway because you can end up sweating on top and still cold at the bottom.
On snow I would not use less than an R5 (either solo or two combined mats )

MuddyWaters
01-04-2016, 17:18
Plan 30, consider 20 stretching it if sleep cold. Chart on the thermarest website as well. Depends on ground temp and your other insulation. Ive been ok in teens, feet cold.

sliverstorm
01-04-2016, 17:41
Just to share a point of reference, on snow, I've been uncomfortably cold when it was 15 degrees outside and I had a 15 degree bag and a combined R-value of 4.8

You might think the bag was the weak point, but I could feel the sleeping pad was "cool" to my body.

Still trying to decide how to change my setup, but I agree with the people who suggest minimum of combined R-value of 5 for winter camping on snow.