PDA

View Full Version : Iron mtn gap to Sams gap shuttle recs?

saltysack
12-01-2015, 10:23
Planning my February 40-50 mile section. Looking at iron mtn gap south to maybe Sams gap? Looks to be around 45 miles prob 2.5-3.5 days weather depending. Is there safe parking at sams gap or does any where alittle farther or shorter have better parking and shuttle/trail access? I'd plan to get dropped at iron mtn gap and hike south to my truck. I did iron mtn gap to 19e a few winters back.....cold but fun! I used mountain Harbour for shuttle but figured it would be lil far for them. Any advice appreciated...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tennessee Viking
12-01-2015, 12:32
http://www.hikershuttles.com/

Sams Gap in February...anything can happen. I-26 and old US23 can shut down if it is snowing or has icy conditions.

Old US 23/Flag Pond Road has developed parking. I-26 only has foot access through a cattle gate. I haven't heard of any problems.

saltysack
12-01-2015, 13:42
http://www.hikershuttles.com/

Sams Gap in February...anything can happen. I-26 and old US23 can shut down if it is snowing or has icy conditions.

Old US 23/Flag Pond Road has developed parking. I-26 only has foot access through a cattle gate. I haven't heard of any problems.

Thx just spoke with them....is that 10-k? I just looked at the parking lot on google earth...appears decent. He said hasn't heard any issues there. Thx again

hayeskw
12-02-2015, 17:32
We've parked overnight and all day at Sam's gap numerous times without trouble.

Sent from my XT1019 using Tapatalk

saltysack
12-02-2015, 19:57
Thx...thoughts on this section? Views? Terrain etc?

hayeskw
12-03-2015, 19:29
Big bald and beauty spot have nice views. Unaka mtn has my favorite forest in this section. Terrain from iron to unaka is fairly tame, though of course you will be climbing from Cherry gap shelter (which typically has great water) to unaka. After crossing spivey gap (19W) you will be climbing climbing climbing as you get up to big bald, although there are a few flat stretches to rest your legs.

Sent from my XT1019 using Tapatalk

Emerson Bigills
12-03-2015, 21:44
Unaka Mtn is very underrated. That place reminds me of the enchanted forest. I imagine it might be a challenge to follow the trail through there if the ground was snow covered. I agree with Hayeskw, I don't recall a forest in the south that is as unique as that mountain top.

MuddyWaters
12-03-2015, 21:45
wolf laurel ski area is on the east flank of big bald. You ski?

I wouldnt mind seeing big bald again, but on clear day. I was there in fog. They did good job spacing the marker poles, you could just see the next one.

saltysack
12-03-2015, 21:52
wolf laurel ski area is on the east flank of big bald. You ski?

Ha...funny you mentioned wolf laurel. My folks bought a lot there. Their friend already has a cabin up there. He often cleans up at the shelter and replaces journal. I've never been there but his place is just off the AT....he's offered up his place many times but if I'm in NC I'd rather be sleeping in my solong6 on the trail. Hope they get some snow!