PDA

View Full Version : Winter boots

md1486
12-01-2015, 10:50
Which type of boots do you use/recommend for winter hiking/snowshoeing, for conditions that we can encounter for exemple in the Whites in winter ? Thanks,

squeezebox
12-01-2015, 11:20
And what about gaitors?

LoneStranger
12-01-2015, 11:51
If you aren't going where you'll need crampons, go for comfortable, waterproof boots with gaiters to keep the snow out. Insulated are nice if you are out in really cold temps or for long periods, but so long as your feet have room for good blood circulation regular boots can be enough. Make sure to try out whatever you're using with both your snowshoes and your spikes before heading out into anything too serious so you know both will stay on when you need them.

As for the gaiters; I like the full height, heavy weight OR Crocs because they provide some shin protection. When you're breaking trail on snow with an ice crust, or worse yet, multiple crust layers, the extra weight is worth it :)

cmoulder
12-01-2015, 13:03
If you plan to spend time in an alpine zone where a hasty retreat back below treeline is not assured, seriously consider plastic or leather mountaineering double boots.

They're expensive, but toes are worth at least $40-$50 each, no?:o

Feral Bill
12-01-2015, 15:37
He old standard is the military Mickey Mouse boot, AKA Bunny Boot. Your feet will be warm, and wet.

squeezebox
12-01-2015, 16:23
So where can you get Micky Mouse boots? Army surplus?

May the lightness be with you! Well maybe not this time!

cmoulder
12-01-2015, 16:30
It boils down to 3 characteristics — cheap, light and warm. Pick any two.:)

Slo-go'en
12-01-2015, 19:00

I believe those were left over from the Korean war. Good luck finding any which are still serviceable. Plastic double boots with step in crampons and ice axe if you want to climb above tree line when it's -10 and 60 mph winds. Along with facemask, goggles and gortex suite.

If your staying lower down and just snowshoeing, pretty much any insulated boot will work .

rickb
12-01-2015, 22:07
For winter HIKING in the Whites Kahtoola Microspikes (or the Hillshound version) are almost more important than socks.

Feral Bill
12-01-2015, 22:28

May the lightness be with you! Well maybe not this time! Easy to find in surplus stores. They are still being used. And yes, not at all light.

Traveler
12-02-2015, 08:05
Which type of boots do you use/recommend for winter hiking/snowshoeing, for conditions that we can encounter for exemple in the Whites in winter ? Thanks,

For what its worth, I use the Asolo GPS 520 boots and treat them religiously every few months with Nikwax, which keeps them waterproof and really dry regardless of snow levels. A set of full length gaitors (OR) complete the protection for my feet. These boots are great for winter use and will take any crampon, microspikes, or snowshoes you want to use and can be used in most any winter (or other season) environment you may find.

If your activities in winter mostly above timberline and/or technical, you probably should look into mountaineering boots for the added protection they offer. Though pricey and are not real comfortable in moderate to easy trail walking, if you do a lot of technical mountaineering you'll be better served by them.

rafe
12-02-2015, 10:16
Sorel "Conquest". Heavy at 35 oz. apiece, but I have a pair of ancient Asolo leather boots that weigh as much. Nothing gets in. They're toasty and comfortable. If anything, feet will be wet from perspiration. They can be used with micro-spikes, Hillsound crampons or snowshoes.

kibs
12-02-2015, 10:42
I believe those were left over from the Korean war. Good luck finding any which are still serviceable. Plastic double boots with step in crampons and ice axe if you want to climb above tree line when it's -10 and 60 mph winds. Along with facemask, goggles and gortex suite.

If your staying lower down and just snowshoeing, pretty much any insulated boot will work .

I saw them on line thru Amazon. still available in Black or white--best boot for absolute warm feet!

Mooselook Marty
12-02-2015, 13:39
My friends and I frequently dayhike in the Whites in the winter. We all wear lightweight insulated boots that are rated in the -30F range with 400 grams of insulation (or equivalent) and they keep our feet warm, dry and comfortable. These boots typically are stiff enough for strap-on crampons. Salomon, Vasque, Garmont, Cabela's and Merrell all make boots of this type. Sorels are another option, but they are kind of floppy for me. We make sure the boots have ample room for mountaineering socks.

I would only use double plastics or leathers if you backpack.

Thanks,
Marty

iio
12-03-2015, 01:07
Most of my winter hiking is out in western Alaska, so cold and snow is certainly part of the game. Currently I've been using a pair of Keen boots, model Warm. Don't know if they are still available, but they have been great! Light, warm and I don't seem to sweat too bad in them. I also always wear a pair of OR Croc gaiters that I love!
Also often wear Kahtoola micro spikes, totally the way to go in icy conditions!
Stay away from the "bunny boots", I have several pair of them and while they are the warmest boots out there, they are incredibly heavy!!! And as the sole wears they become pretty slippery! Great for snowmachining in sub-zero weather, but truly nasty for hiking!

md1486
12-03-2015, 10:29
Thanks guys for answers. I was thinking about the Vasque Snowburban UltraDry with 400g Thinsulate. Do someone have experience with them ? Would they be enough for hiking the White ? I have Vasque St-Elias for my summer hiking trip and really love them. I dont know if Vasque also make great winter boot though.

cmoulder
12-03-2015, 11:47
I have a similar boot, the Snowblime, and really like them. Get them large enough to wear with a thin liner sock and a winter sock such as Thorlo. Combined with OR Endurance gaiters, they make a fairly light set of winter boots. Work great with microspikes and snowshoes.

Mooselook Marty
12-03-2015, 14:27
Thanks guys for answers. I was thinking about the Vasque Snowburban UltraDry with 400g Thinsulate. Do someone have experience with them ? Would they be enough for hiking the White ? I have Vasque St-Elias for my summer hiking trip and really love them. I dont know if Vasque also make great winter boot though.

There are a couple people in Views From The Top that liked the Snowburbans: http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?55465-Winter-Boots&highlight=snowburban

Chiefmate Sam
12-08-2015, 22:33
Just my 2 cents - I have the Asolo TPS 520 GV boots, and when paired with thick wool socks, my feet have been warm on hikes in the Catskills down to a temp of -5 deg F. I've worn these boots snowshoeing, with crampons, microspikes, and bare booting in the winter. Love 'em. I also have a pair of plastic mountaineering boots that are WARM that I wear ice climbing. Not sure I'd want to hike several miles in them as their heavy. You can get leather mountaineering boots that are lighter, but expect to pay $300+ (got my plastic boots for $150 new on eBay). Side note on regular hiking boots with crampons - make sure you get a boot with a 3/4 shank in it, or you'll have some difficulty with crampons.

md1486
12-09-2015, 10:05
Thanks guy. Just bought insulated boots - Vasque Snowburban. Will try them soon on the mountain after the break-in period

nsherry61
12-09-2015, 11:22
Not meaning to be especially contrary, but I do most of my winter hiking/snowshoeing with my regular summer trail running shoes. The shoes are super comfortable, light, and have enough room in them for a thick pair of socks without cutting off circulation. I layer up with a liner sock, a plastic bag, then a heavy insulating sock and another plastic bag. Then I generally just use short gaiters, often my Dirty Girl gaiters, to seal off the top of my footwear. Frequently, the bottom of my pants get a bit damp with snow, but the thin nylon dries fast when I get back to the car or with a warm water bottle at my feet in my sleeping bag if camping. If I'm in lots of deep or crusty snow, I will occasionally use full height gators. When I'm skiing, I use my ski boots and some kind of gaitor. BUT, as long as I keep moving, my feet stay reliably warm down below 0*F. AND, I love the feeling of dancing in the snow with super light footwear instead of plodding along in boots (even relatively light boots).

I am amazed at how effectively my feet stay warm in really cold conditions, in light trail running shoes when using this vapor-barrier insulation technique.
Six layers of socks, bags, shoes and gaiters includes a bit of a fiddle factor, but, I think it's well worth it for light nimble feet.

Personally, I'm at a loss as to why plastic boots seem to be popular to wear for anyone unless they are climbing high angle ice or skiing with alpine touring gear. Heck, we used to hike in our approach shoes and carry our plastic boots so we didn't have to walk in them any more than necessary . . . okay, if I were traveling with a group of people in the back country where we were stopping all the time and standing around in below 0*F, I might want plastic boots too to keep my feet warm. And, maybe group hiking is where the popularity of plastic boots comes from. Personally, I'm still sticking with light footwear and will keep moving except for short rest and snack breaks.

If you haven't tried winter travel with this system, I'd encourage experimentation. Save your heavy expensive boots for the really extreme. YMMV

poolskaterx
12-17-2015, 21:31
If those don't work I will be the third to recommend the Asolo 520 boots. I snowshoe or snow hike with these in Northern Sierras and am on my second pair now. SUPER solid boot and nice and toasty. Not inexspesive but very nice boot. I DO NOT use them any more in the summer as they are pretty heavy but when I did they were always very comfortable.

12trysomething
12-18-2015, 01:17
I will offer my winter system for consideration.

https://youtu.be/vOSfwy0ZMAg

Duramax22
12-18-2015, 20:41
http://content.backcountry.com/images/items/900/LSP/LSP003A/BLA.jpg