PDA

View Full Version : Spot gen 3 free

Roll Tide
12-01-2015, 18:41
Got my Bass Pro Shop sales catalog today. Has a SPOT Gen 3 for free after a $149.99 rebate and a Qualified Service Contract. Expires 12-31-15. Don't know if this is a bargain or not, just passing it along.

Snowleopard
12-01-2015, 19:06
It's not just Bass offering the rebate. Spot is itself offering a $149.99 mailin rebate -- i.e., the Spot itself is free. Retailers include EMS and REI. To use it you need an annual service plan: $99.99/year and up.
http://www.findmespot.com/en/
http://www.findmespot.com/en/index.php?cid=103

The alternative is a PLB, more reliable but less flexible; I don't know what these cost now, but no annual service plan is needed.

Tundracamper
12-01-2015, 22:12
I just purchased a ResQLink+ at West Marine for $255+tax. There is a $50 mail-in rebate. I wanted the best emergency communication option and am not concerned with messaging.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Venchka
12-01-2015, 23:11
I just purchased a ResQLink+ at West Marine for $255+tax. There is a $50 mail-in rebate. I wanted the best emergency communication option and am not concerned with messaging.

There it is. A 5 watt signal broadcast for 30 hours.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

Tundracamper
12-02-2015, 12:37
I'm wondering if Spot doesn't have some fancy new product sitting in the warehouse. Why would they give away the Gen 3 without some revolutionary new product to replace it?

Traveler
12-02-2015, 12:58
I'm wondering if Spot doesn't have some fancy new product sitting in the warehouse. Why would they give away the Gen 3 without some revolutionary new product to replace it?

Could be they are after service contract dollars.

Venchka
12-02-2015, 13:19

It's the Cell Phone Marketing Model: Give the hardware away. Sell the annual service contracts.
Not unlike the ink jet printer marketing model.

Wayne

Could be they are after service contract dollars.

cmoulder
12-02-2015, 14:29

Maybe something to compete with inReach? Give away the last few old units, get the service contract and then "upgrade" the service when the new product comes in... some customers will be PO'ed when the new model becomes available, but not nearly as much as if they'd also paid for the old unit.

PS if the 2-way texting for this speculative Spot product is much more user-friendly than inReach users report about that unit, I'd be tempted to get one.