PDA

View Full Version : Spot/DeLorme data?

JohnHuth
12-01-2015, 19:32
I'm working on a project, trying to correlate walking speed with USGS terrain classification. I was hoping/wondering if anyone who has hiked substantial sections might have any Spot or DeLorme data from their hike (s).

If so, PM me.

Offshore
12-02-2015, 08:21
Project sounds interesting, just be aware that the tracking intervals on these devices can be pretty large and lead to pretty low resolution track logs. They tend to be good as far as location accuracy, but you'd need to evaluate the track log resolution and terrain variability and determine if the track log data resolution is high enough to allow you to draw any meaningful conclusions.

JohnHuth
12-02-2015, 13:45
They tend to be good as far as location accuracy, but you'd need to evaluate the track log resolution and terrain variability and determine if the track log data resolution is high enough to allow you to draw any meaningful conclusions.

Yes, I'm aware of that. Mainly this is a warm-up exercise to do something with finer time resolution. I'm also trying to correlate data with terrain classification. It's probably a no-brainer, but people slow down in the Whites and the Mahoosucs relative to, say, Virginia. There are terrain classification data that I am trying to use. As I said, this is more of a warm-up - if I do find something significant that's valid, I'll certainly share it.

PAFranklin
12-02-2015, 13:56
Temperature, weather, and altitude are also factors. At times significant. Are you accounting for those?

JohnHuth
12-04-2015, 19:09
Temperature, weather, and altitude are also factors. At times significant. Are you accounting for those?

Actually those are things I'll be looking at.

Wise Old Owl
12-04-2015, 20:48
Start with KML uploaded on Google Earth... The KML is on the ATC website. I am not sure how Spot data would be helpful.

Offshore
12-05-2015, 07:16
Start with KML uploaded on Google Earth... The KML is on the ATC website. I am not sure how Spot data would be helpful.

He's looking for walking speed data to correlate with terrain. The ATC KMLs aren't useful for that purpose in that they show only the route. OP needs tracklogs from hikes to determine how quickly that hiker traversed a particular route.

bemental
12-05-2015, 09:17

Ignorant comment. WOO, you obviously don't understand what OP is trying to do.