PDA

View Full Version : 2 nights at Savage Gulf, which loop?

Tundracamper
12-01-2015, 21:51
I am looking for a 2 night - 0.75 day/1 day/0.5 day loop at Savage Gulf.

I see the North Rim, Connector, Stagecoach Historic, and South Rim loop would probably work. However, in looking at a video on youtube, the Suter Falls area looks spectacular, near the Collins West access point. Would the Collins Gulf and Stagecoach Historic with a side-trip to Stone Door also be a viable option? I'm not sure a side trip to Stone Door with the NR and SR trails would be doable in that time frame. I don't want to hike too fast (8-10 miles on a full day, max) as I like to stop and take photos and the days are short this time of year. This will be my first trip to Savage Gulf. So, any suggestions are welcome.

Ashepabst
12-03-2015, 17:56
the Collins Loop is my favorite, but that's really only a one-nighter. but yeah.... you could hike out to Stone Door and back from Sawmill, and just spend a second night there. be advised the Connector Trail is rough... not necessarily big elevation change but long stretches of boulder fields kind of tough.

also, they've made some changes to the permit system recently. i don't know if they're in effect yet, but you should check beforehand. i think they were talking about requiring reservations, and maybe closing Collins East for example.
another important thing to remember is that water is not a given down in the canyon... streams flow underground for long stretches where you might assume there is water. Schwoon Spring is definitely reliable, though, and i think one of the coolest features in the Gulf.