PDA

View Full Version : New Tactical Flashlight

rocketsocks
12-01-2015, 22:20
New Tactical flashlight, anybody have one?

http://you-should-know.com/product-reviews/G700-Tactical-Flashlight/?voluumdata=vid..00000001-47e3-4198-8000-000000000000__vpid..64e75000-9898-11e5-89ae-64dfe055bef2__caid..acdd135b-7c0a-4a22-b24c-dabf6539cc84__rt..R__lid..9b5d627a-f183-43aa-a4da-b0dbbaf3014e__oid1..ec96b368-5bb1-4a66-9fb4-a862b820fd8d__var1..%7Bthumbnail%7D__var2..%7Btitl e%7D__var3..%7Bsite%7D__var4..%7Btaboola%7D__rd..t rc%5C.%5Ctaboola%5C.%5Ccom__aid..__sid..&utm_thumbnail=%7Bthumbnail%7D&utm_title=%7Btitle%7D&utm_medium=%7Bsite%7D&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=%7Btaboola%7D&utm_source=taboola

rickb
12-01-2015, 22:26
Why? Looks heavy and only 700 Lumens.

I do have one of these, however. Comes in at 960 and not all that heavy.

http://www.rei.com/product/881922/fenix-pd35-flashlight

Sarcasm the elf
12-01-2015, 22:29
I assume that a tactical flashlight is one that you are meant to beat people over the head with? I'll take the good old six D cell maglight in that case. :eek:

rocketsocks
12-01-2015, 22:37
I assume that a tactical flashlight is one that you are meant to beat people over the head with? I'll take the good old six D cell maglight in that case. :eek:got ole thumper sittin' right next to me, mine only has 4 D's though

rocketsocks
12-01-2015, 22:44
Why? Looks heavy and only 700 Lumens.

I do have one of these, however. Comes in at 960 and not all that heavy.

http://www.rei.com/product/881922/fenix-pd35-flashlightis that 960 lumens in strobe mode only?

rickb
12-01-2015, 22:50
is that 960 lumens in strobe mode only?

If by strobe you mean "flashing" like you might select if you were raiding another's tent for unauthorized Little Debbies, I don't think so.

The light is incredidibly bright (as in you can light up the opposite shore of a small pond) on full blast, bit you can dim it WAY down to be camp friendly.

rocketsocks
12-02-2015, 00:56
If by strobe you mean "flashing" like you might select if you were raiding another's tent for unauthorized Little Debbies, I don't think so.

The light is incredidibly bright (as in you can light up the opposite shore of a small pond) on full blast, bit you can dim it WAY down to be camp friendly.either way that's a lot of lumens.

atraildreamer
12-02-2015, 18:11
got ole thumper sittin' right next to me, mine only has 4 D's though

I used the 3 D-battery model when doing security work. When you put the heavier alkaline batteries in, the weight is enough to get a good swing going at a miscreant. I converted my Maglite to LED and haven't had to change the batteries in 3 years. If you break the Maglite while apprehending a subject, they will replace the light for free!

The smaller tactical light would make a good backup light. If you have ever had a bulb burn out at 2 AM in the middle of a dark warehouse, you will get my point.

Just as you should have 3 ways to make a fire, you should have at least 2 sources of light.

rocketsocks
12-02-2015, 21:24
I used the 3 D-battery model when doing security work. When you put the heavier alkaline batteries in, the weight is enough to get a good swing going at a miscreant. I converted my Maglite to LED and haven't had to change the batteries in 3 years. If you break the Maglite while apprehending a subject, they will replace the light for free!

The smaller tactical light would make a good backup light. If you have ever had a bulb burn out at 2 AM in the middle of a dark warehouse, you will get my point.

Just as you should have 3 ways to make a fire, you should have at least 2 sources of light.yup, I don't sweat redundancy, not really a big deal.

Pedaling Fool
12-03-2015, 07:57
got ole thumper sittin' right next to me, mine only has 4 D's thoughWhen I was 15 I got a good ol' thumpin' by a nightstick-sized flashlight. When the cops took me to the hospital they reported that I fell off the roof. There is such a thing as police brutality...but I probably deserved it:D

egilbe
12-03-2015, 09:04
When I was 15 I got a good ol' thumpin' by a nightstick-sized flashlight. When the cops took me to the hospital they reported that I fell off the roof. There is such a thing as police brutality...but I probably deserved it:D

There was a newspaper article of a suspect who jumped off a three story roof to escape pursuit. Months later i found out that the suspect was apprehended on the roof, cuffed and the suspect spit in the cops face. Suspect was uncuffed and thrown from the roof. The real story never made the papers. ;)

Traveler
12-03-2015, 09:22
There was a newspaper article of a suspect who jumped off a three story roof to escape pursuit. Months later i found out that the suspect was apprehended on the roof, cuffed and the suspect spit in the cops face. Suspect was uncuffed and thrown from the roof. The real story never made the papers. ;)

A shame, getting away with murder is quite literal in some instances.

cmoulder
12-03-2015, 10:56

How did you find out?

rocketsocks
12-03-2015, 14:06
How did you find out?he came out of his coma...sorry, had ta go advanced on ya egible. :D

atraildreamer
12-04-2015, 17:43
When I was 15 I got a good ol' thumpin' by a nightstick-sized flashlight. When the cops took me to the hospital they reported that I fell off the roof. There is such a thing as police brutality...but I probably deserved it:D

In Providence, at the old police station, the usual story was that the subject "fell down the stairs" going to the lockup. :rolleyes:

coastwatcher42
12-06-2015, 19:33

I joined the Sheriff's Department fresh out of college but stayed less than a year because of incidents like this. I was afraid that if some punk spit in my face he would not only jump off the roof, but would climb back up and do it again. I then chose the Army for my career and am now happily retired.

Alligator
12-07-2015, 09:56
Ok folks not the place for a discussion of police encounters.

cmoulder
12-07-2015, 15:30
Just curious, but for what purpose do you need a 700-lumen flashlight?

rickb
12-07-2015, 15:49
Just curious, but for what purpose do you need a 700-lumen flashlight?

Mine is actually 960 lumens, so I am not sure I can answer that.

In truth, mine gets the most use lighting up critters in the backyard -- but it did come in handy investigating some roosting spruce grouse just off the AT at Shoal pond this past summer.

I don't call in owls anymore (and wouldn't admit it if I did) but a good light helps for that.

In the end, if you hear some noises out side your tent at night, a good light can inspire you to get up and check things out, I think. Of course if you are thru hiking getting sleep is probably a greater priority and unless it has its nose inside the vestibule, probably no reason to bother.

But mostly because they are cool.

atraildreamer
12-10-2015, 17:52
...In the end, if you hear some noises out side your tent at night, a good light can inspire you to get up and check things out, I think. Of course if you are thru hiking getting sleep is probably a greater priority and unless it has its nose inside the vestibule, probably no reason to bother....

Are you sure you really want to know?