PDA

View Full Version : Updated atweather.org for 2016

zepphead80
12-02-2015, 16:51
Good afternoon. For those of you who don't know me (which is probably almost everyone!) my trail name is Zen. I thru-hiked in 2015, but even more importantly developed a website called www.atweather.org. (http://www.atweather.org/)

Over the course of the 2015 season, lots of people found it useful and I just want to publicize it here. The functioning of the site is extremely simple: pick your location from the drop-down lists, and a text weather forecast from NOAA for that point on the trail will appear. No messing with zip codes or nearest towns.

Please feel free to reach out and ask any questions. Congratulations on your decision to hike the trail and good luck!

Regards,

Pat ("Zen" 2015)

climbingbear
12-03-2015, 13:56
Good afternoon. For those of you who don't know me (which is probably almost everyone!) my trail name is Zen. I thru-hiked in 2015, but even more importantly developed a website called www.atweather.org. (http://www.atweather.org/)

Over the course of the 2015 season, lots of people found it useful and I just want to publicize it here. The functioning of the site is extremely simple: pick your location from the drop-down lists, and a text weather forecast from NOAA for that point on the trail will appear. No messing with zip codes or nearest towns.

Please feel free to reach out and ask any questions. Congratulations on your decision to hike the trail and good luck!

Regards,

Pat ("Zen" 2015)
I've been using it, thanks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

slbirdnerd
12-03-2015, 14:04
Wow, I've been using your site all season and THANK YOU! It's terrific! I share the link often on the Section Hiker's FB page.

Lauriep
12-03-2015, 14:50
Thanks for developing this helpful resource for A.T. hikers!

Dogwood
12-04-2015, 01:08
I asked questions on your other similar thread.

ChrisJackson
12-04-2015, 14:17
I really like your site. Every time I use weather.com to get the local Atlanta forecast during the week...I wish it was more like yours...they are so...bloated. Good job, man...and Thanks!

Starchild
12-04-2015, 15:28
More info then the AT weather site I had been using which yours is really more useful, but both have their place as this one gives the entire trail at a glance: http://www.sophiaknows.com/atdb/weather.php

HeartWalker
12-05-2015, 05:42
This is great. Thanks so much.

hikeyours
12-07-2015, 20:07
Very cool thanks!

AlyontheAT2016
12-10-2015, 18:44
This is super useful and easy to access on mobile. Thanks!

zepphead80
12-12-2015, 10:26
More info then the AT weather site I had been using which yours is really more useful, but both have their place as this one gives the entire trail at a glance: http://www.sophiaknows.com/atdb/weather.php

I think that sophiaknows is a great resource as well...in fact I'm pretty sure that I pulled the list of locations in the drop down list from there.

Goatgas
12-22-2015, 22:06
FYI, having an issue with changing locations. example: pick a state then try to look at another state, the site locations stay at previous state.

zepphead80
12-22-2015, 22:25
Thanks for reporting the problem, but I'm not experiencing this. Is there a particular combination of states that you are experiencing this problem with?

Goatgas
12-22-2015, 23:21
looked at GA, then switched to Maine Ga locations wouldn't change so I could look at Maine locations. will try again

Goatgas
12-22-2015, 23:23
Thanks for reporting the problem, but I'm not experiencing this. Is there a particular combination of states that you are experiencing this problem with?

tried again, same issue.

Mtsman
12-23-2015, 00:45
tried again, same issue.

just tried out of curiosity, i do not experience this problem either. I am on FF 38.4 Win 7

OHHH tried it on my IE 11.0.96 version and I am experiencing possibly the same thing. When I select GA > Springer then select Maine the second drop down list still shows GA locations.

zepphead80
01-13-2016, 10:52
Hi all,

Sorry for not replying to this sooner. It sounds like it could be an Internet Explorer specific issue. If I have the time at some point then I'll look into it, but with IE users coming in at around 7% of my total traffic it will not be a high-priority fix right now. The site does still appear to function on IE except that the state filtering isn't working.

Thanks for making me aware of this. I should have properly tested it with IE before releasing it.

Best,

Pat

Boots and Backpacks
01-13-2016, 11:11
Here's (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.atweather)a Droid app with all the same information. We used this a ton this past year while thru-hiking.

Puddlefish
01-13-2016, 14:37
I just made this my first bookmark this on my brand new "cutting edge" Iphone 4. Played around with it a bit, good stuff, thanks!

The Cleaner
01-13-2016, 17:17
I'd still rather depend on NOAA forecasts via a small radio with the NOAA weather bands.Cell reception is spotty in places and in areas where you can get a signal,weather systems with heavy rain,snow or cloud cover will block cell service.Batteries in a small radio will last a very long time compared to your cell phone's rechargeable battery.These days charging your device in crowded trail towns or hostels can be a problem.

Puddlefish
01-13-2016, 20:12
I'd still rather depend on NOAA forecasts via a small radio with the NOAA weather bands.Cell reception is spotty in places and in areas where you can get a signal,weather systems with heavy rain,snow or cloud cover will block cell service.Batteries in a small radio will last a very long time compared to your cell phone's rechargeable battery.These days charging your device in crowded trail towns or hostels can be a problem.

I'm a big fan of the NOAA website. No advertising, so they don't try to oversell the "giant death storm" drama! The website does require you input your town and state, which I could see as annoying if you aren't sure what town your near on the trail.

As for carrying a specific radio only to get NWR bands, not going to happen. Extra weight and have to listen for a number of minutes until they get around to discussing the weather in the area you're interested in. The advantage this app has is that I can turn on the phone for 15 seconds, dial in the point on the trail, get my information, and turn it back off. Minimal battery use.

MockingJay
01-14-2016, 13:56
Great job. Just bookmarked it. I like it much better than sophiaknows.com...much more detailed forecasts.

zepphead80
02-04-2016, 15:12
Good morning all,

I just want folks to know that I have been making some server side modifications to www.atweather.org (http://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.atweather.org%2F&h=FAQHLju1mAQHEme08uHlTwdfuTCGZtnjR7xKzHq0fLl4FhA&enc=AZNcGk8QXny4uODcg-Ro-pLKNN1XIOF-rDvppImtdolKaXFihIHB2OQQ6gV3xZf32Aa24huNQh3Sbz6vZI RfyvI8v9bppQMzPIh24QrePwLgocanPC9kRu45TxXk9DfpBSF7 DC6DdNIUeRu0Rm7rQvdGrmJTSGFDOTUAcd-eCCMVFQ&s=1) that won't impact how the page looks or functions, but will modify the URL structure of the site. If you had a specific location bookmarked before, it will break. You'll need to select the location again and re-bookmark it.

I do apologize for this. The site is going to continue evolving as I continue to learn about web development. My hope though is that once the current modifications are complete, it will remain unchanged through the 2016 hiking season. Thanks all for your support of the site!

Best,

Zen

dbright
02-04-2016, 19:51
I can not get the site to display Springer mountain it displays deep gap no matter what I pick

Goatgas
02-05-2016, 18:47
I can not get the site to display Springer mountain it displays deep gap no matter what I pick
also having same problem except first is a vt shelter with no state picked then when I try putting Georgia in it only goes to tray mountain shelter

zepphead80
02-05-2016, 19:22
Hi,

Yes, I am aware that the drop down boxes are behaving strangely; it is a result of some modifications that I have made to the website's code and I'm working on a fix. Having said that, when you make a selection, the forecast that results is for the location that was chosen even if the box is displaying something bogus.

I hope to have this resolved over the next few days. Thanks!

Pat

kenl
02-09-2016, 21:37
Checked it out this morning (snow possible across the entire trial, wow). Thanks for taking the time, it provides very useful concise information!

climbingbear
02-09-2016, 22:22
Thanks for your hard work. I'll be using your site this spring.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Gonecampn
02-09-2016, 22:46
Awesome! What a great tool to have while on the trail or planning your trip! Much thanks!

sswells4
02-19-2016, 09:13
This is EXACTLY what I've been looking for. All forecasts in one site. Fantastic job, thanks for the work you put in on this.

GreenBlaze
02-19-2016, 13:37
I really like your site. Every time I use weather.com to get the local Atlanta forecast during the week...I wish it was more like yours...they are so...bloated. Good job, man...and Thanks!

Weather dot com is perhaps the worst, most media-laden, weather information site on the net. I regularly use AccuWeather or NOAA, but a site like ATWeather.org is great for the trail.