PDA

View Full Version : Pack cover

sethd513
12-02-2015, 18:17
Other then making my own, is there any cover out there that would fit what looks to be about a 36"h x 22"w x 20"d loaded pack. Everything that needs to be dry is wrapped up in a 3 mil contractor bag other then my ccf mat on top. I haven't found anything that seams to fit the size and not want to blow off or cinch down right. I want something durable as it is a winter load out. Anything to point me in the right direction would be great. Thank you

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/12/02/cfc969bf31950ab4ac0570a825e1d31b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jcreamer
12-02-2015, 18:27
I have the cf pack cover from z packs. It is excellent quality buy I'm not sure it will be big enough for your load. However, I was given a Dutchwear pack cover as a gift and it is huge. It is made from sil but is top quality workmanship and I think the price is reasonable. I have only used it a couple of times but was satisfied with it's performance. I also saw a kid at Philmont using a kelty pack cover that looked like it could double as a small tent! That's the largest pack cover I have ever seen.
Good luck with your search.
JC

HeartFire
12-02-2015, 18:48
LightHeart Gear (http://lightheartgear.com/index.php/rain-gear/admin)

squeezebox
12-03-2015, 12:25
Sounds like a custom job, or a good beginners DIY job Can the snowshoes and snow shovel go outside the pack cover in some way?
I've heard of pack covers blowing off of packs. I'm gonna hook mine the pack with a mini carabiner in some fashion.

Mountain Bluebird
12-03-2015, 13:11
Since you already have stuff in the pack's insides in a contractor's bag, why not just put a smaller plastic bag over the sleeping pad? I suggest this because it looks like the other stuff on the outside of the pack does not need to stay dry. Mike Clelland (Ultralight Backpackin' Tips) says pack covers don't work. He's right.

sethd513
12-03-2015, 18:01
My thought is walking through forest with trees full of snow. Knocking the snow down in front of you is a given but sometimes it just happens. My bag is very full and I'm hopping to keep all snow out if possible. I've never delt with a frozen bag. I'm going to try and repack it with the pad inside.

sethd513
12-03-2015, 18:07
I like that thought about packing the snow shoes on the outside of the bag. It will keep the cover tight while allowing me to still get into the top. And it shouldn't blow away. Thanks for the pointers

cmoulder
12-03-2015, 23:53
If you're hiking in snow and cold and expect the temperatures to remain below freezing, there's no need for a pack cover of any kind.

Looking at your photo, I would have only a few suggestions. 1) You could live without the shovel unless you're planning to make a snow shelter or dig somebody out of an avalanche. 2) Depending upon where you're hiking, you might want to figure out a way to attach that sleep mat vertically on the back of the pack because if you're walking through areas with blowdowns and spruce limbs sticking out, they'll shred the ends of the pad. 3) Maybe some sort of stuff sack for the items in the front mesh panel. However, if it stays really cold you don't need even that because any snow that gets on the stuff stowed there will shake right off.

sethd513
12-04-2015, 02:07
Our first trip this year will be the end of this month in the whites. The way the temperatures are I'm looking at worse case between 34 and....I'd rather have more then not. I carry for two people while my wife carries her sleep system and food with a few other small items.

1) if we are running into a 2 foot snow base making our tent spot flat and even will be easier with a shovel. Also burring sticks for guy lines is easier with a shovel then ice axe

2) I'm going to try and put the ccf pad inside the bag. that was my second attempt packing that bag as I just purchased it. I'm planning on sowing a few things on to make the lid close to my liking.

3) I'd like to hang my down coat outside my bag in a dry bag with those items but have yet to configure it.