PDA

View Full Version : Need help with clothing list for 2016 Thru

FooFighter'12
12-02-2015, 18:28
Hello all. I will be thru hiking the trail starting the last week of June and ending around the end of July. I have been obsessing about my gear choices and would like some wisdom thrown my way. My main issue is with my clothing list. I tend to over pack on clothing but I don't want to go too light and be miserable out there either. I want to get this dialed in just in case I need to make a purchase. I am a thin guy so not much insulation.

Clothing worn: Icebreaker Tech T
OR Ferrosi pants
Icebreaker underwear
Smartwool socks
Cap of some sort(I typically wear trucker hats but understand I need sun protection)

Clothing packed: Icebreaker Bodyfit 200 shirt (for camp/sleeping/cold hiking)
Icebreaker Bodyfit 200 bottoms (same as above)
Extra pair of wool hiking socks
Smartwool Compression socks for camp
EMS Wind jacket
First Ascent Cloud layer fleece 1/4 zip (12 oz- 100 wt Polartec I think)
Montbell Superior Down Parka (2.5 oz fill weight)
Lukes Ultralight Silnylon rain jacket
Montbell Versalite rain pants
Wool Beanie
Light gloves (haven't purchased yet)

Here are some thoughts. Should I bring shorts? Did you experience many days over 80 degrees? That seems to be my comfort level with the OR pants.

Should I go with a heavier duty rain jacket? The jacket is not taped. I had to seam seal myself twice because the first time didn't seal so well. But, it did pass its first test on a rainy day hike a few days ago.

Could I save weight by replacing the First Ascent fleece with a lighter fleece and still be comfortable? Or going warmer, would a synthetic jacket like the Montbell Thermawrap be overkill with the Down parka? This is my biggest concern. I will only use the Down jacket around camp but may occasionally hike in my fleece/synthetic.

Some more info: I am carrying an EE Revelation 10 degree quilt. I will be breaking down camp quickly in the mornings but during the evenings may linger around the campsite for awhile before crawling in the tent.
Thanks!!

Coffee
12-02-2015, 18:58
I thru hiked the Colorado Trail last year about a month later than your planned dates (late July to late August) so the conditions will probably be slightly different - perhaps a bit warmer and you might escape much of the monsoonal moisture that I dealt with. Still, I would strongly recommend good rain gear for the Colorado Trail. My Outdoor Research Helium II was not up to the task despite treating it with McNett's prior to the trip. I have since switched to Dri Ducks for rain jacket and it is cheap and effective, although fragile.

I'm not familiar with some of the gear you've listed but I can tell you my system. I had a Smartwool Microweight (150) top for hiking and a separate top for sleeping. I used REI convertible pants the entire time and although I carried shorts, I only ended up using them in camp or in town, never for hiking. It was never really warm anywhere on my hike after I left the Denver area (sections 1 and 2).

I used a Montbell UL Down parka in camp every night. My sleeping bag was the Marmot Helium 15 degree. Both down pieces were adequate for the conditions I experienced.

I never hiked in anything heavier than my smartwool top and my rain jacket. I don't think I would have hiked in fleece even if I had carried it, although on a couple of occasions I was borderline hypothermic but this was due to the failure of my jacket (wetting out) rather than the temp alone. Still the fleece might have kept me warmer when my rain jacket wetted out but I think it would be unnecessary with good rain gear.

I'm sure you'll get many responses. Great trail - my most successful thru hike to date by far.

Hole-In-The-Hat
12-02-2015, 21:21
Shorts vs. pants: that's a personal choice, I guess. My schedule was similar to yours; I don't think there were many days that were 80 degrees or more, but there were plenty of times I was hot. For example when climbing 1200' with a full pack with the sun overhead. I personally find shorts to be much more comfortable for these conditions. You might consider convertible pants... not much weight penalty, and you get both.

Rain jacket: I don’t know that a “heavier” jacket is necessary if you take care of it. However, seams that aren’t taped sounds like trouble. I’d opt for a light jacket with taped seams - either waterproof, or waterproof-breathable.

Fleece: I would consider the fleece as somewhat optional given that you have a long-sleeve shirt and a down jacket. I had a short-sleeve and long-sleeve jersey, rain jacket and light down jacket - worked out fine for me.

Connie
12-03-2015, 08:13
If I think I need more warmth, I like the MontBell Thermawrap vest.

The sleeves are too much, if worn with the down jacket.

hikeandbike5
12-03-2015, 12:27
I think you should do a search and read some of the past threads on the subject- plenty more info there, and nothing has changed with CT since those threads were posted. Here are plenty on the subject: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/search.php?searchid=8717769

That said, your gear list looks fine. It's easy to switch out and buy new gear along the way- many/most of the resupply points have outfitters and other access to gear.

Also, I hiked the ct the same year as coffee (a few weeks after), and had much different experiences than him, so take anything that you read with a grain of salt and go with what you know and your gut over anything else.

FooFighter'12
12-03-2015, 14:41
Thanks for the suggestions. I am going to replace the rain jacket with one with taped seams. It just isn't worth the risk. Connie, I hadn't considered the vest until you mentioned it. I really like that idea. As one who has never worn vests in the back country I will definitely need to do a trial run or two to make sure I can dig it.

colorado_rob
12-12-2015, 11:08
Thanks for the suggestions. I am going to replace the rain jacket with one with taped seams. It just isn't worth the risk. Connie, I hadn't considered the vest until you mentioned it. I really like that idea. As one who has never worn vests in the back country I will definitely need to do a trial run or two to make sure I can dig it.Yeah, I'd definitely consider a solid hard shell jacket over the Helium or the Dri ducks. I used to be a huge Dri Duck fan, but have had a couple recent bad experiences. I own the Helium, and it's a fine jacket, but it can fail in a deluge, and we sure do get some big rains, in the CO high country. Thankfully, they are generally pretty brief.

I currently carry an Arctyrx Alpha SL, I think right at 11 ounces, and it is pretty bomber. I think the regular price is about $275, but you can usually find them for just over $200 somewhere, but might be a strange color...

Another option is a combination of the Helium II jacket and a dri ducks jacket, I think both jackets together maybe 11.5 or 12 ounces, gives you great flexibility plus a "backup" in a heavy rain if one jacket soaks through, you can put on the other, or simply use the Dri Ducks over the helium for two layers of wet protection.

I still like and always use the Dri ducks rain pants, sure they are goofy and tear easily, but both those shortcomings are a zero deal (who cares what they look like, and I always have a bit of duct tape).

BTW: A complete set of Dri Ducks are $20 or less and weight about 11 ounces total. I keep calling them Dri Ducks, but now they are actually Frog Toggs. I'm talking about the UL Rain Suit model.

My top layers are a 1/4 zip merino wool long sleeve shirt (Icebreaker is a great brand, or Smart Wool), a microfleece (cheap Columbia brand), a Mont Bell UL down "sweater", and the hard-shell jacket (or combo) mentioned above. For later in the year, like September, I'll include a down vest (UL, about 5 ounces, I think it's the "ghost" model).

I do own and use a Montbell thermawrap, but only use it in the winter when getting wet from sweat is more of a problem; it's easier to regulate your warmth in the summer, hence easier to not sweat, hence down works just fine.

For pants, I just use REI zip-offs, great pants, and most people like shorts during the day, but it get chilly at night and the mornings, hence the zip-on/off thing. I usually also carry silk long underwear from REI, 4 ounces, but mid summer, I might leave them at home as the Dri duck pants (or other rain pant) give generally enough warmth in the cold mornings (or nights) around camp.

I find that just a pair of cheap liner gloves are plenty, and a simple fleece beanie cap.

The 10 degree quilt is an excellent choice. I carry a 21 degree, and that's plenty for me, but a couple more ounces for the 10 degree is fine.

BTW: I've backpacked and climbed all over the CO mountains for about 35 years now. Enjoy our state!

colorado_rob
12-12-2015, 11:20
I forgot to mention shorts.... your first few sections (assuming you're going SWBO, your last few sections if NEBO) will be very, very warm as they are low elevation, and in mid summer you could easily be in the mid 80's or even 90's, plus you go through some burn areas in section 2-3, meaning no shade, so definitely bring shorts (better yet, zipoff's). It's not unusual to be over 100 in Waterton Canyon, your 1st 6 miles, but of course you could just go shirtless for those first miles. Once you climb out of the canyon at mile 7, no 100+ temps to worry about.

I might also consider one more top, an ultralight short sleeve, light colored something. I have a 3.5 ounce OR top I use in mid summer for lower altitude hiking (<10,000'). Above 10-11K, which you are a good bit of the time later in the trail, generally a long sleeve 1/4 zip is cool enough.

lonehiker
12-12-2015, 13:15
You have 6 upper body layers which seems like a lot to me for 3 season hiking, even at elevation. I wouldn't carry both a wind jacket and a rain coat (I actually do, but my wind shirt is my insulating layer.) as the rain coat can perform both functions. You also are carrying 2 insulating layers, (3 if you count your extra T). I can't imagine too many situations where this would be necessary considering that you always have your rain coat to don as well if it is that cold. Remember the layering concept and that your clothing should perform as a system. Otherwise everything else looks ok. I rarely comment on specific brands/models as any given person may have different experiences with same pieces of gear/clothing.

FooFighter'12
12-15-2015, 11:37
You have 6 upper body layers which seems like a lot to me for 3 season hiking, even at elevation. I wouldn't carry both a wind jacket and a rain coat (I actually do, but my wind shirt is my insulating layer.) as the rain coat can perform both functions. You also are carrying 2 insulating layers, (3 if you count your extra T). I can't imagine too many situations where this would be necessary considering that you always have your rain coat to don as well if it is that cold. Remember the layering concept and that your clothing should perform as a system. Otherwise everything else looks ok. I rarely comment on specific brands/models as any given person may have different experiences with same pieces of gear/clothing.

So you think I will be safe with the following top layers?

Icebreaker Tech T
Icebreaker Crew 240
L/S synthetic shirt(very light)
Montbell Superior down parka
Fully taped bomber jacket such as the Arcteryx Alpha(used for wind as well)

colorado_rob
12-15-2015, 13:11
So you think I will be safe with the following top layers?

Icebreaker Tech T
Icebreaker Crew 240
L/S synthetic shirt(very light)
Montbell Superior down parka
Fully taped bomber jacket such as the Arcteryx Alpha(used for wind as well)I certainly do, FWIW. Three separate shirts seems a bit unusual to me, but you'll have nice layering options.

As far as the separate wind shirt goes, I personally have never used one, but my wife does and she swears by it, it's like 2.5 ounces, TNF brand, ridiculously light, extremely breathable, and she sure has it on a lot up high here is CO when it's relatively warm (meaning 50's up high) but windy and her Arteryx Alpha (we both have them) is too much. Just as Lonehiker says, that's her additional insulation layer, in lieu of the microfleece I carry. I'm looking for one of those 2.5 oz wind jackets in MY stocking here in about 10 days....

lonehiker
12-15-2015, 13:46
I think that you would be "safe" with that combination. But, I still feel that when you are finished with the trail, you will admit that you have carried one insulating layer too many. Personally I would ditch the down jacket as the other 2 items (Crew 240 and LS synthetic shirt) are more versatile (and insulate when wet). By that I mean I could envision myself wearing the crew 240 under my shirt or the LS over my shirt, while hiking. Whereas I don't see any weather condition for a July hike where I would be hiking with the down jacket (the layering of the other items would suffice if is that cold). Thus limiting the down coat to just an around camp article of clothing. But the other 2 items fulfill this function also.

I will make the observation that on all of the long trails I have been on (within the last decade or so) it seems as if about everyone breaks out their nice down jackets in camp at the end of the day. I am generally the oddball with my somewhat worn Frogg Togg rain jacket.....

bearcreek
12-15-2015, 15:47
I would keep the down jacket and ditch the Crew 240. I carry a Montbell X-Light jacket. The X-light is 2 ounces lighter than the Superior, but that is not much. This combo has worked for me on several long hikes (CT, CDT, and AZT). The down jacket is really useful - I sleep in it when it's cold, and it makes it possible to stay up a little later. You spend at least half of your time in camp so you might as well be comfortable.

FooFighter'12
12-15-2015, 16:09
Thanks for the suggestions! You guys rock!!

I'm definitely sticking with the down. I used it a ton on the AT around camp. But I will seriously consider dropping one more shirt. For some reason, I am being overly cautious as I have only done a few day hikes in that part of the country and somewhat intimidated by those mountains. It is a little over 6 months away and I am already excited.