PDA

View Full Version : Dog Lost Along AT near Unicoi Gap

SRosePennState
12-02-2015, 22:36
Hi Everyone,

A friend of mine lost her dog along the AT near Unicoi Gap (actually...her dog-sitter lost the dog while taking her for a hike). Since this forum was helpful for me when I was hiking the AT I'm hoping we can come together and help her find her sweet Belle. Thanks.

LOST DOG: Australian Shepherd female 8 mo. red/white coloring with green eyes, medium size. She is sweet and shy, her name is Belle. Last seen Unicoi Gap Trailhead parking lot outside of Helen Ga hwy 17/75 near Hiawassee Ga, Towns County call 770-654-2217 or 706-949-6778. Offering reward

https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xtf1/v/t1.0-9/12342624_1099094433436359_5101616870269858383_n.jp g?oh=ab3490d526779e7343d1ee22aa5ac05c&oe=56E2F2C0

Gambit McCrae
12-03-2015, 08:56
Call Ron Brown - He is a shuttler in the area that is shuttling 24/7 He might see her

Ktaadn
12-03-2015, 09:21
What color was the leash?

Spacelord
12-03-2015, 10:58
Why ? Are you going to look for it ?

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

SouthMark
12-03-2015, 14:50
Why ? Are you going to look for it ?

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

Thanks. You took the words right out of my mouth.

squeezebox
12-03-2015, 15:04
It's just a shame that's there's a lost dog out there when a simple leash would have prevented the problem.

Sarcasm the elf
12-03-2015, 15:35

It's just a shame that's there's a lost dog out there when a simple leash would have prevented the problem.

This is a person looking for help. Quit trolling, it is neither helpful nor appropriate.

dervari
12-03-2015, 15:35
No matter how well behaved or trained people may think their dog it, they have to remember that it's still an animal and has basic instincts. So sad when something like this happens due to ignorance.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Studlintsean
12-03-2015, 15:39

No matter how well behaved or trained people may think their dog it, they have to remember that it's still an animal and has basic instincts. So sad when something like this happens due to ignorance.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Did I miss the part that said the dog was off it's leash?

Gambit McCrae
12-03-2015, 15:59

IF SAID LEASH IS IN HAND, AND HELD FIRMLY, IT WORKS PRETTY WELL.

I hear the red ones are the strongest. The clear ones? not so much.

That being said, Ol' Ward decided to wonder off 2-3 trips ago at Chestnut Ridge. Of course he is leash trained but for 1500 miles of trail he has been very good about not wandering off, but needless to say as soon as I was 100% confident he wouldn't, he did run off, was gone an hour and mozied on back up the ridge very ashamed of himself. Some would say shame on me because I was in the process of snapping his pack onto my pack when I turned around to see him walking back up the ridge, I was preparing to hike on. Ward is also six and has ID info on his tag, at the worst it probably would have meant driving back up to Atkins the next weekend to pick him up when he was found. BUT, a 8 month old shep? Tisk Tisk, that's like letting a 3rd grader loose in a mall!

Studlintsean
12-03-2015, 16:05
IF SAID LEASH IS IN HAND, AND HELD FIRMLY, IT WORKS PRETTY WELL.

I hear the red ones are the strongest. The clear ones? not so much.

That being said, Ol' Ward decided to wonder off 2-3 trips ago at Chestnut Ridge. Of course he is leash trained but for 1500 miles of trail he has been very good about not wandering off, but needless to say as soon as I was 100% confident he wouldn't, he did run off, was gone an hour and mozied on back up the ridge very ashamed of himself. Some would say shame on me because I was in the process of snapping his pack onto my pack when I turned around to see him walking back up the ridge, I was preparing to hike on. Ward is also six and has ID info on his tag, at the worst it probably would have meant driving back up to Atkins the next weekend to pick him up when he was found. BUT, a 8 month old shep? Tisk Tisk, that's like letting a 3rd grader loose in a mall!

Accidents do happen. I have had dogs pretty much my whole life and work with dogs a good amount in my spare time. People step on the leash for a second to tie their shoes, put on wrist to take a piss, etc. Let's not jump to conclusions.

I hope the dog is found safe.

4eyedbuzzard
12-03-2015, 16:09
The OP stated the owner's dog sitter had the dog when it got lost.
The OP made no mention of the dog being on leash - or not being on one. So we don't really know, do we?
Anyone who has ever owned a dog has probably had an ACCIDENTAL situation where their animal got loose.
The dog could have broken the leash, pulled it out of the sitter's hand, slipped the collar or harness, etc. There are a myriad of ways a dog can ACCIDENTALLY get loose.
Cut the OP and owner some slack. All we know is that the dog is lost.

Studlintsean
12-03-2015, 16:10
The OP stated the owner's dog sitter had the dog when it got lost.
The OP made no mention of the dog being on leash - or not being on one. So we don't really know, do we?
Anyone who has ever owned a dog has probably had an ACCIDENTAL situation where their animal got loose.
The dog could have broken the leash, pulled it out of the sitter's hand, slipped the collar or harness, etc. There are a myriad of ways a dog can ACCIDENTALLY get loose.
Cut the OP and owner some slack. All we know is that the dog is lost.

Thanks. My point exactly.

Alligator
12-03-2015, 16:43
Somebody came to the site to look for help with a lost pet. What the hell us wrong with some of you people? A person can be as careful as careful can be and still miss clipping into the harness on the dog. Or any other innocent reason. If you can't help, show some common decency and don't post negative comments.

KDogg
12-03-2015, 17:39
Somebody came to the site to look for help with a lost pet. What the hell us wrong with some of you people? A person can be as careful as careful can be and still miss clipping into the harness on the dog. Or any other innocent reason. If you can't help, show some common decency and don't post negative comments.

No Kidding!! This site seems to be going downhill with some of the negative posts and thread hijacks. Getting really old. I'm finding less and less useful information here.

Spacelord
12-03-2015, 20:13
No doubt. I hope I'm around when some of these same folks have a crisis

Water Rat
12-03-2015, 21:35
Hi Everyone,

A friend of mine lost her dog along the AT near Unicoi Gap (actually...her dog-sitter lost the dog while taking her for a hike). Since this forum was helpful for me when I was hiking the AT I'm hoping we can come together and help her find her sweet Belle. Thanks.

LOST DOG: Australian Shepherd female 8 mo. red/white coloring with green eyes, medium size. She is sweet and shy, her name is Belle. Last seen Unicoi Gap Trailhead parking lot outside of Helen Ga hwy 17/75 near Hiawassee Ga, Towns County call 770-654-2217 or 706-949-6778. Offering reward

https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xtf1/v/t1.0-9/12342624_1099094433436359_5101616870269858383_n.jp g?oh=ab3490d526779e7343d1ee22aa5ac05c&oe=56E2F2C0

I wish your friend all the best in getting her pup home safe! I know how I would feel if one of my dogs was lost. :(

Have there been any updates/leads/sightings of Belle? Does she have a favorite blanket? If she does, then maybe have your friend put it near the last spot Belle was seen. Belle may sniff it out and recognize that as a safe place and return to it. This trick has worked for other lost dogs - Maybe it will work for your friend's dog.

Emerson Bigills
12-03-2015, 21:40
Good luck finding your dog. I would be distraught if I was in your situation. Don't mind the Legions of the Miserable. Most folks really are pulling for you.

SouthMark
12-03-2015, 23:40
Yes as an owner of 5 rescues I am pulling for the safe return of the dog. No one plans on loosing their dog. I have had dogs escape while leashed before. I drive rescue dog transport and we always double leash with one being a slip lead as you can never be 100% sure. It can be easy for some dogs to back out of their collar or even a harness.

Gambit McCrae
12-04-2015, 10:04

My comment was out of line, "Somebody came to the site to look for help with a lost pet" made me upset with myself.

Here is the number for Charles Smithgall animal shelter I believe it is probably the closest to Unicoi gap: (706) 865-4135

Top of Georgia Hostel is pretty close too: (706) 982-3252

White County, Ga Sherriff Department, they Might know where to look for her if she was picked up: (706) 865-5177

Also check out and post in Facebook group: Appalachian Trail Section Hikers there are thousands of active members there

Again, Sorry for the comment earlier it was useless.

Gambit McCrae
12-07-2015, 09:36
Has the dog been found?

saltysack
12-15-2015, 15:44

Thought you were moving over seas!! Please do!! Any time someone needs help with a dog you open your d$$$ S@@@@@!! Enough!! I hope you get mauled by a leashed dog!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mtsman
12-16-2015, 00:14
Thought you were moving over seas!! Please do!! Any time someone needs help with a dog you open your d$$$ S@@@@@!! Enough!! I hope you get mauled by a leashed dog!

Wow, was this really necessary? I hope you guys know each other and this is a personal joke I just missed...

Kookork
12-16-2015, 00:31
Wow, was this really necessary? I hope you guys know each other and this is a personal joke I just missed...

When a dog is lost, no matter the reason behind it, it does not sound kind to talk about the mistake that has been lead to dog being lost.

It is kind of like telling to a mother who has lost her kid to a shooting incident that she had not been in this situation if she had brought up her kid better. Right message in a wrong time.

Mtsman
12-16-2015, 00:45
When a dog is lost, no matter the reason behind it, it does not sound kind to talk about the mistake that has been lead to dog being lost.

It is kind of like telling to a mother who has lost her kid to a shooting incident that she had not been in this situation if she had brought up her kid better. Right message in a wrong time.

I completely understand the generally accepted (although vastly overused), politically correct thought process you are using here. But just because someone made a poor comment (in your judgement) does that warrant a death threat and name calling by another? Isn't that the pot calling the kettle black?

Kookork
12-16-2015, 01:19
I completely understand the generally accepted (although vastly overused), politically correct thought process you are using here. But just because someone made a poor comment (in your judgement) does that warrant a death threat and name calling by another? Isn't that the pot calling the kettle black?

You are right. saltysack's comment was harsh and equally unwarranted. It seems to me that this dog issue will never be solved at least in this site .
I guess the squeezbox was the last straw that broke the camels back. I guess squeezbox has been commenting frequently against dogs on trail or things like that before.

He did not wish him dead BTW. mauling is not death wish.:)

But again, you are right.

The right message in wrong time ruins the truth behind the right message most of the times.

Mtsman
12-16-2015, 01:28
You are right. saltysack's comment was harsh and equally unwarranted. It seems to me that this dog issue will never be solved at least in this site .
I guess the squeezbox was the last straw that broke the camels back. I guess squeezbox has been commenting frequently against dogs on trail or things like that before.

He did not wish him dead BTW. mauling is not death wish.:)

But again, you are right.

The right message in wrong time ruins the truth behind the right message most of the times.

You got me there! I should have said physical harm +1 for you.

Ktaadn
12-16-2015, 10:36

You are comparing a lost animal to a dead child?

I will never understand the love that people have for dogs. I have a dog. He is a great dog. I love him. But, compared to my child? If I had the choice of throwing my dog in a burning pit a million times versus having my daughter scratch her knee, the dog is going in the pit.

OK, maybe I went to far there. You get the idea though.

Uncle Joe
12-16-2015, 11:07
Didn't see this thread. The dog was found. When I came off the trail some folks found it and called the owner.

saltysack
12-16-2015, 11:14

Yea maybe lil harsh...BUT...anytime someone asks for help with a lost dog...he is the first grill and lecture about a dam leash...this has happened time and time again....Just get tired of the anti dog people's crap..especially when it's on a hiking with your dog forum....

Sarcasm the elf
12-16-2015, 11:18
Didn't see this thread. The dog was found. When I came off the trail some folks found it and called the owner.

Hi Jpolk, I appreciate the update, very glad to hear it turned out well.

saltysack
12-16-2015, 11:27

Thx glad it was found safe!

saltysack
12-16-2015, 11:33

Thx glad it was found safe!

Pedaling Fool
12-16-2015, 12:07
...The dog was found...
That's irrelevant when it pertains to a thread about lost dogs:D

gpburdelljr
12-16-2015, 13:19
That's irrelevant when it pertains to a thread about lost dogs:D

The thread isn't about lost dogs, it is about a specific lost dog that the OP asked for help in finding.

Old Grouse
12-16-2015, 13:57
PF was plainly being ironic.

adamkrz
12-16-2015, 14:24
Some Folks on Whitebaze have to realize dogs are family, My adult kids and wife have made my life really tough - I have a dog that I adopted from my 33 year old son that has given much pleasure to my life when I needed it most. We hike and camp often and no leash is needed ( I can't get him to leave my ankles ).

When I see bumper stickers that say ( who saved who ) - it hit's close to home..

4eyedbuzzard
12-16-2015, 17:20
Finally, a dog thread on WB with a happy ending. :)

Kookork
12-16-2015, 18:46
You are comparing a lost animal to a dead child?

I will never understand the love that people have for dogs. I have a dog. He is a great dog. I love him. But, compared to my child? If I had the choice of throwing my dog in a burning pit a million times versus having my daughter scratch her knee, the dog is going in the pit.

OK, maybe I went to far there. You get the idea though.

We have a saying in Persian that says: Do not nit pick about the example one uses for the sake of argument.

But if I am accused of using an extreme example , then you are in the same boat with me and we both drown:).

PS: I am a fan of yours and read your comments and enjoy reading them but for the this one, lets agree to disagree.

Uncle Joe
12-16-2015, 19:02
FWIW, the closing minute of this video shows accounts the reunion.

https://youtu.be/ocBw1TqpKc4

saltysack
12-16-2015, 20:30
FWIW, the closing minute of this video shows accounts the reunion.

https://youtu.be/ocBw1TqpKc4

Thx for posting...

FatMan
12-17-2015, 08:57
Great news!