PDA

View Full Version : Husband,Wife, Friend or Alone?

naturlred
12-03-2015, 10:53
Out of curiosity, do most of you wish your husband/wife would hike with you?

Or do you prefer a friend over your husband/wife?

Or do you prefer alone?

Gambit McCrae
12-03-2015, 11:03
I have tried the whole "girlfriend wants to hike" thing. NO.

If you marry a woman and she ALREADY has hiking boots? She likes to hike.

If you marry a woman and have to buy her a kit? She'se doing it because she knows you like to do it, (9/10) and that isn't fun for anyone.
Everyone needs a break from their second half, and for me my outdoor life provides that, as well for her.

I can hike alone, but really only enjoy it when there are social people on the trail, when its December and you don't see anyone, I loose interest.

A friend is my best choice, one that doesn't have to be babysat and can hike at their own pace and just regroup 3-4 times a day to make sure everyone is good to go.

saltysack
12-03-2015, 11:16
I'm happily married with 2 kids. I enjoy hiking alone with my dog. That said my son has started to join me a few times a year as he's now 9. The solitude of being out alone during the winter is my favorite time. I have no desire to camp around others.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rafe
12-03-2015, 11:18
My wife isn't much of a hiker, she prefers ballet which isn't my thing.

I'll hike alone or with a friend, either way has its pros and cons. The old "Can't live with 'em, can't live without 'em" problem.

Hiking alone I get to move at exactly the pace I want, walk exactly as far as I want to, stop and start when I want to, etc. But nobody to share the highs and lows with. Start feeling like Tom Hanks in Cast Away.

Add just one more person to the mix and now there's give-and-take and compromise involved, but it can be a whole lot of fun.

Gambit McCrae
12-03-2015, 11:30
I loved this spring just falling in with a group of thrus on my Georgia hike, I was the only section hiker I saw in the park, had a 12 lbs full pack, and got, up first every morning. Got some comical remarks about my pack weight and really out experienced a lot of the green thru hikers. Had a great time

Studlintsean
12-03-2015, 12:03
My wife likes day hikes but not over-nighters. I have tried to convince her to come on an overnight hike (again) but she really isn't interested. I normally go with one of my four brothers or a friend but I have gone alone. I am a social person so I prefer to have someone else out there but I can manage on my own just fine.

cneill13
12-03-2015, 12:06
Better alone in your room than with another on the trail. Not sure where I read that. Camping doesn't count.

Carl

Shutterbug
12-03-2015, 12:34

Or do you prefer alone?

I hiked alone or with a friend for 40 years before my wife discovered that she likes to hike too. She does two or three multi-day hikes a year with me. The rest I do alone or with a friend. I would say that I enjoy the ones where she is along more.

OCDave
12-03-2015, 12:41
While 90% of my hiking is solo, I would prefer company; specific company.

I have 2 sons. The best hiking trips are when I can share the outdoors experience with either or both of them. Finding cool, hidden waterfalls or getting to the top of a challenging climb is WAY more satisfying if they are part of it.

If I want solitary time, I can fall back a bit on the trail. That also gives them a bit of a thrill to think they can out hike their aging dad.

Getting my wife on the trail is a bit tougher. Hiking with her is enjoyable but, the biggest benefit is that it makes the relationship at home better.

Outside of spouse or sons, I prefer hiking alone.

swisscross
12-03-2015, 12:51
Married with two girls.
Wife camped once and said she would never go again.
Oldest daughter is not interested.
Youngest has started to show a little interest but not enough to commit.

My wife walks an average of 12 miles a day.
I would never be able to keep up with her.
My pace is my pace and I need my self time....I prefer to hike alone.

illabelle
12-03-2015, 12:55

Or do you prefer alone?

I've done plenty of dayhiking without my husband, but on overnight adventures, we always go together. Sometimes we get on each other's nerves, but we're never out much more than a week, so it's bearable - sort of. Conflict... Compromise...

It helps that we're different in certain respects. For example, I have all of 2016 backpacking planned out and on the calendar. He doesn't try to involve himself in the planning, so he just accepts whatever I've arranged. If we were both trying to plan, it wouldn't work too well.

August W.
12-03-2015, 14:03

Or do you prefer alone?

All of the above, at varying times. My wife was already into backpacking when we met several years ago but now prefers day hiking only, and that works out pretty well as we both enjoy occasional time apart.
I have friends I enjoy hiking and backpacking with, and we do more backpacking than day hiking.
On most occasions, whether it's hiking or backpacking, friends or spouse, my dog goes with me. He is my favorite hiking partner.

LoneStranger
12-03-2015, 14:29
First choice would be to go with my wife, but these days that means bringing our daughter along. She's been on trail for two years now, but not yet five years old her mileage is very limited. We go together when we can, but very different trips with limited elevation change. Still, time on trail with those two is very rewarding. They both love backpacking because their fathers raised them well.

Second choice would be to go alone. It is easier to hear the breeze blowing through the trees with only one set of footsteps. Easier to hear yourself think as well which is why lot of folks bring a person or a dog to talk to in order to keep themselves preoccupied.

I do go with friends and visiting family at least once a year and enjoy that as well. I am always happy to have any excuse to get out there.

slbirdnerd
12-03-2015, 14:30
I believe all have their merits. I have hiked alone most and love the challenge, sense of accomplishment, solitude, ability to HYOH but also the chance to meet and hike/camp with new people--you don't usually get that when you're already with someone. I've also hiked with friends, from 1 on an AT trip to a group of 26 on a planned outing. Both were fun for different reasons, and you go into each knowing you'll get something different out of it. It's just a different kind of trip. I've also hiked with a significant other, which wasn't all that great, so I'm not sure I'd do that again unless we knew each other much better.

The only thing I miss when I go out alone is someone to be there when I see something amazing and utter out loud "Look at that!" and no one is there to share it. Hoping one day to run across the right mountain man on the trail to be that kind of partner... ;)

MuddyWaters
12-03-2015, 15:15
Wife? No

I prefer my son if im going to hike with someone.

Most others are okay for short time, but i dont want to be attached to them for weeks.

I really prefer solo.

Stick999
12-03-2015, 15:52
The wife and kids like to day hike, They show no interest in backpacking hikes.
I prefer solo, set your pace for the trip.

bigcranky
12-03-2015, 16:51
#1 choice is my wife. I enjoy her company and we make a good hiking team.

(This isn't really new - we've been doing the occasional weekend backpacking trip for twenty five years, but the long distance part is new - our Long Trail E2E was a terrific experience and we're planning more and longer trips in the future.)

I've had two great non-spouse hiking partners over the years. The first one was my best friend, and he up and died on us about ten years ago (brain cancer, left a wife and four year old son). The second was a close friend at work -- we did as many weekends as we could, and one week a year for five or six years, but his life is in a place now where he just doesn't have the time.

My daughter loved to hike when she was, I dunno, 7 or so, but not anymore. She'll tolerate a weekend overnight, maybe.

For a few years I was doing a week or two solo in early June, but haven't been able to get away the last couple of years. I like solo hiking, but given the choice I'd much rather spend that time with my wife.

Tundracamper
12-03-2015, 16:58
Wife - uh, no. She would never go.

I do enjoy going with friends. But, being middle-aged and with families, it's hard to coordinate a trip. As a result, I don't let that stop me from going alone. The solitude and self-pace is quite enjoyable.

I basically announce to my buddies when I'm going, or give them some time window options, and then just go whether they go or not.

Had some great experiences both ways.

Ashepabst
12-03-2015, 17:30
friend trips are always fun, but folks get married and have kids, get bogged down in careers, and the weekends become harder to find. wife trips are fun too but she's not as in to as she used to be.

I've been dong solo trips since I started backpacking back in my college days, but I feel like I appreciate them more than I once did.

tflaris
12-03-2015, 18:12
Definitely my Wife. We work well together.

TF

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Spirit Walker
12-03-2015, 18:26
I love hiking with my husband. We met while thruhiking the AT 23 years ago. I've only done one trip solo since we met. It was good, but not as good as hiking with him. Before we met, all my hikes were solo and I sometimes got lonely, especially when the trail got interesting. It's hard when you finally reach the peak, look around at all the glory around and have no one to share it with.

daveiniowa
12-03-2015, 18:47
Love to hike alone and end up getting in the same pace as others with my pace. Not really hiking together but seeing the same people a few times a day for a few days then you wonder what ever happened to that person because all of a sudden they are gone. Probably hiked way past me and I will never catch up.

My last hike went alone and not many people on the trail. I felt a little lonely.

Love to camp and day hike with my wife but would not want her on the trail over night with me.

Most of my friends wonder why I hike.. I don't find I need to explain that at all when I am on the trail...

rocketsocks
12-03-2015, 18:55
Don't matter, wife and friends are fine, solo hiking is where it's at though, you learn a lot about yourself your style and just how to be alone with your thoughts.

donthaveoneyet
12-03-2015, 19:43
Alone.

My wife and daughter (13) will do 1 or 2 nights, no more, and only with short hikes. My son (11) is now getting more into it. We were out for a week this summer, camping in northern Maine, and several long weekends. Hikes up to 8 miles, but not likely for more than a couple of days at a time. I consider this mostly family time, which is extremely important to me. But I hike for solitude. I'm happiest if I don't see a single other person. ... That said, I haven't done a thru-hike, I can see that being a different thing (having friends to hike with off and on over time).

elray
12-03-2015, 20:13
I was married very young so we learned to love hiking together. I've sectioned most of the AT without her but only because her job didn't offer as much vacation time as mine. She was very understanding during those years but when the time came to attempt a thru she was not about to let me go alone. We had a great time and truthfully she adapted to the long distance hiking much better than I did. We were unable to finish but for five weeks we were "thru hikers" and will always treasure that time on the Trail. One heart valve diagnosis for me and a hip replacement for her later we'll be back on the path this Spring for a long section where we left off at Erwin. We have decided not to attempt another thru but will be very content to be long section hikers as long as our aging bodies will allow. She's hands down the best hiking partner a guy could ever ask for!

TexasBob
12-03-2015, 20:16
I love hiking with my husband. We met while thruhiking the AT 23 years ago. I've only done one trip solo since we met. It was good, but not as good as hiking with him. Before we met, all my hikes were solo and I sometimes got lonely, especially when the trail got interesting. It's hard when you finally reach the peak, look around at all the glory around and have no one to share it with.

You and your husband are lucky to have each other. I hope you share many trails together. I would love it if my wife would go backpacking with me but her idea of camping is a Holiday Inn.

donthaveoneyet
12-03-2015, 20:25
You and your husband are lucky to have each other. I hope you share many trails together. I would love it if my wife would go backpacking with me but her idea of camping is a Holiday Inn.

Consider yourself lucky. Mine will accept nothing less than The Four Seasons.

saltysack
12-03-2015, 20:32

Lucky you....my wife thinks she's roughing it is when the Ritz Carlton runs out of ice![emoji12]

paule
12-03-2015, 20:44
Alone,no waiting,no trying to keep up,no feeding some one that didn't bring enough food with them,the woods are crowded you will meet someone,,,,,,if you want to.

Sandy of PA
12-03-2015, 21:21
Alone, my husband prefers the Hampton Inn or better. We both enjoy some "me time" when I am hiking. I have met a few people going my speed over the years and we have camped together but hike alone.

BonBon
12-03-2015, 21:46
I like hiking alone and meeting people on the trail. You tend to meet up with people who hike similar pace and mileage as you do.
When i did the AT last year, sometimes I hiked with people, sometimes I didn't. I met some really great folks who are still friends. I did get lonely sometimes, but it was really nice to be responsible for only myself. But- my husband says he wants to do it when he retires, so maybe I'll join him-unless he wants to be alone:}

LIhikers
12-03-2015, 23:00
My wife and I do almost all of our hiking with each other. That includes day hikes and backpacking trips up to a couple of weeks.
But both of us have been out solo also.
I've enjoyed it both ways and so has she.

archie
12-03-2015, 23:17
I have never invited my wife backpacking, though we do day hikestogether.

I enjoy hiking with my son, but he has mostly moved on to other things.

I have a few friends I occasionally hike with but I usally hike alone and I LOVE it.

I really hope my wife and son don't read this but I prefer to hike alone, yeah with nobody else

Heliotrope
12-04-2015, 20:39
I enjoy backpacking with others. The wife and I day hike all the time. But our first backpack was a disaster. It was about 6 months after having a baby. And she was pissed that I picked such a challenging trail. On another occasion we had a rip roaring fight right on the AT. Hope none of you guys heard us! She took off running down the trail with a full pack and gave me concern that she would injure herself. The rest of that trip went pretty smooth. However, I am hesitant to put myself into another backcountry drama with her.

Casey & Gina
12-05-2015, 08:00
The only thing I do apart from my wife (because there's no option otherwise) is work. We hike together. :)

Jake2c
12-05-2015, 10:12
I love spending time with my wife and daughter. I would love them to hike the AT with me. I like doing things alone but I think this experience would be better shared. Reality is my daughters schooling and my wife's health will not support it though I hope they can join me for a short few days here and there, and at least finish with me on the last day if I complete my thru hike. My wife though is very supportive and will be part of my supply line. She has custom made things to support this effort and I can not say enough good about her. In a way, she will be with me on the hike, most the pictures and videos I take along the way will be with her in mind, the things I want to share with her. She is tough, strong, very capable and I would trust no one more in any situation, more than worth slowing down or carrying extra stuff if she could go but it just isn't possible. My daughter is a mechanical engineer/biomedical engineer on her home stretch in pursuit of her PhD in biomedical engineering. Not something easy to take 6 months off of and then come back and complete. We raised her to be strong and someone who completes things so no surprise there. Guess I digressed, I am fine alone and my wife and I have always given each other time to pursue guy/gal stuff on our own but on bigger adventures, we like to share them and would if not for the issues above.

Uncle Joe
12-05-2015, 12:34
I hope to find a wife to hike with. My wife took a hike but that's different. :rolleyes:

Kookork
12-05-2015, 13:38
I discovered the depth of my love for hiking when I started to hike solo. The things that I discovered about myself in 40 days solo hiking was equal to 40 years of real life. Actually I discovered I did not know myself too well before my solo hiking era.

Odd Man Out
12-05-2015, 16:54
My problem is that my wife would love to go backpacking but is physically unable to do so anymore so when I go on my own without her, she feels bad and I feel guilty. I tried hiking with friend last summer. It was a great trip, but he was the most inefficient backpacker, I spent the entire 4 day trip watching him pack and unpack his gear. So unless I can find a compatible hiker, I'm stuck on my own, which is OK with me. Since I only can get out a couple times a year, if I paired up with a competent hiker, I'm afraid I would be the one slowing him down.

egilbe
12-05-2015, 17:01
I hike with my GF. Its more fun hiking with her, than without her. She's nice and quiet, a little slower than I am, but I don't mind waiting for her on the downhills. Its actually her dream to hike the AT because of a crush she had on a neighbor in high school. I said I would go hike the AT with her and so we are. We both enjoy going out and hiking quietly, together. I'm trying to get her to do some Winter overnights with me, but she is kind of balking at that idea. She's afraid she's going to die :D

LoneStranger
12-05-2015, 17:53
... I'm trying to get her to do some Winter overnights with me, but she is kind of balking at that idea. She's afraid she's going to die :D

We're all going to die. She should be more afraid of not living first. Few things can make a person feel alive like winter camping.

My wife would love to go snow camping with me, but our 5 year old doesn't have enough meat on her bones to have her out there for days at a time. Hmmm, maybe your wife can babysit while the three of us go :)

squeezebox
12-05-2015, 18:12
Several other folks have said that camp not too far from the trailhead, so if your partner panics, it's not too hard to bail out.

egilbe
12-05-2015, 19:24
We're all going to die. She should be more afraid of not living first. Few things can make a person feel alive like winter camping.

My wife would love to go snow camping with me, but our 5 year old doesn't have enough meat on her bones to have her out there for days at a time. Hmmm, maybe your wife can babysit while the three of us go :)

Haha, I read this and walked into the bedroom where she was doing needlepoint, sitting on the bed, wrapped up in my EE quilt and said "Nothing makes you feel alive as much as Winter camping"

She put down her needlepoint, looked at me over the top of her glasses and asked "Who's filling your head full of this nonsense?" She sighs deeply and asks, "When and where do you want to go"

She's in.

Jake2c
12-06-2015, 11:07
Egilbe, I laughed at your wife's response. When I first asked my wife to hike the AT with me, she asked how long it was (she is Korean and grew up there so not familiar with the AT). I said 2000 miles and change. She looked at me thoughtfully for a few moments and then said "I don't even want to drive 2000 miles". As noted, she has a couple of physical limitations that have come with age anyway, but the response was priceless.

squeezebox
12-06-2015, 11:20
Haha, I read this and walked into the bedroom where she was doing needlepoint, sitting on the bed, wrapped up in my EE quilt and said "Nothing makes you feel alive as much as Winter camping"

She put down her needlepoint, looked at me over the top of her glasses and asked "Who's filling your head full of this nonsense?" She sighs deeply and asks, "When and where do you want to go"

She's in.
Congratulations!!

Traffic Jam
12-06-2015, 20:22

She's in.

That is cool! Sorry to go OT but has she ever been backpacking? If not, winter might not be a good idea for a first trip. Women generally sleep much colder than men and being cold is miserable.

Deacon
12-06-2015, 20:31
I don't hike with anyone else because:
a) everyone I know thinks I'm crazy for going out in the woods alone for an extended period,

b) everyone I know won't go for fear of bears or of getting hurt, or they can't take a shower or flush a toilet.

c) everyone I know thinks I'm too old to go backpacking.

Maybe it time for some new friends?

egilbe
12-06-2015, 22:00
That is cool! Sorry to go OT but has she ever been backpacking? If not, winter might not be a good idea for a first trip. Women generally sleep much colder than men and being cold is miserable.

We've hiked most of the AT in Maine and take weekend backpacking trips every month. She draws the line at camping overnight on snow, although she was looking at ice axes today. Shes much more of a day hiker in the Winter. I've had her out overnight down into the teens. I had to give her a bottle of hot water to get her to sleep, but she was fine after that. She has snow shoes and cross country skis.

LittleRock
12-07-2015, 09:16

If you marry a woman and have to buy her a kit? She's doing it because she knows you like it.

This. Basically summarizes the entire thread.

Traffic Jam
12-07-2015, 09:30
We've hiked most of the AT in Maine and take weekend backpacking trips every month. She draws the line at camping overnight on snow, although she was looking at ice axes today. Shes much more of a day hiker in the Winter. I've had her out overnight down into the teens. I had to give her a bottle of hot water to get her to sleep, but she was fine after that. She has snow shoes and cross country skis.

Thats's awesome. :)

Wise Old Owl
12-11-2015, 22:49
We after years of marriage celebrate our differences... I never saw this coming as I enjoy hiking alone... now have a new partner...

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg275/MarkSwarbrick/DSCN0025sm_zpso3faliji.jpg

George
12-11-2015, 23:20
I hike with my GF. Its more fun hiking with her, than without her. She's nice and quiet, a little slower than I am, but I don't mind waiting for her on the downhills. Its actually her dream to hike the AT because of a crush she had on a neighbor in high school. I said I would go hike the AT with her and so we are. We both enjoy going out and hiking quietly, together. I'm trying to get her to do some Winter overnights with me, but she is kind of balking at that idea. She's afraid she's going to die :D

statically the chance of a random significant other being into winter distance is almost nil

out of 360 million in the US the number doing recreational distance hiking (say more than a long weekend) in any one year would be less than 36,000 - out of that maybe one in a hundred would be into winter conditions - so call it one in a million

JaketheFake
12-12-2015, 12:02
Ha! I like that "celebrate our differences"!!! That makes perfect sense as well. That is the secret to a marriage after 25 years. My wife has 0 desire for an overnight and certainly not a long distance hike, but she supports my goals, desires and intentions for my 2016 walk and that is really important!! I am grateful she supports my desire, I could not see it working any other way.

BirdBrain
12-12-2015, 12:22
I hike alone, because no reasonable or sane person would ever agree to comply with the absurdly detailed and regimented schedule that I construct... and that even includes my wife who loves me more than anything else on the planet. Hiking is me time. It is the only time that I completely allow myself to do what I want to do without any regard or thought of an obligation or duty to someone else. Don't get me wrong. I am perfectly happy being an asset to many people. I enjoy being an asset to many people. I need to be an asset to others. I would be miserable if I was not an asset to others. I just need some me time once in a while. Me time took other forms in the past. It will take other forms in the future. It is a current form.

White Shimmer
12-12-2015, 12:31
Nailed. For me. Except for the dog companion part. I NEED alone-ness and wildness in my life.

I have tried the whole "girlfriend wants to hike" thing. NO.

If you marry a woman and have to buy her a kit? She'se doing it because she knows you like to do it, (9/10) and that isn't fun for anyone.
Everyone needs a break from their second half, and for me my outdoor life provides that, as well for her.

I can hike alone, but really only enjoy it when there are social people on the trail, when its December and you don't see anyone, I loose interest.

A friend is my best choice, one that doesn't have to be babysat and can hike at their own pace and just regroup 3-4 times a day to make sure everyone is good to go.

White Shimmer
12-12-2015, 12:34
Nailed. For me. Except for the dog companion part. I NEED alone-ness and wildness in my life.
QUALIFIER:

Oh yes- I also run and when I'm not, I am speed hiking. That weeds out almost anyone who might show an interest in being with me on the trail. And I want to go at my pace, no compromise and not someone else's when I am out for serious stuff like that. Leisurely occasions- yes, I will go with others and let them set the pace.

shelb
12-14-2015, 01:40
#1 = spouse
#2 = friend
Unfortunately, my spouse will not hike in the mountains, so it is my friend on the AT and my spouse in Michigan!

FlyFishNut
12-17-2015, 21:14
On another occasion we had a rip roaring fight right on the AT. Hope none of you guys heard us! She took off running down the trail with a full pack and gave me concern that she would injure herself. The rest of that trip went pretty smooth.

I gotta know. What was the huge row about??!

ChrisJackson
12-17-2015, 22:02
I'm usually solo and love it. Also enjoy hiking with my girlfriend. If I'm solo it's because she's either working or doing some high altitude ice climbing which just isn't appealing to me...at all.

Penn-J
12-18-2015, 17:08
I would love to find a wife that enjoys backpacking. Of course they are few and far between.
I've been jumping from girlfriend to girlfriend these past few years and feel that I can't totally commit to someone unless they enjoy the outdoors.

I keep asking myself the same question "Do I just settle down, get married even if she doesn't hike and just hike on my own time?"

Or, keep looking for the "one", the one that wants to hike all the time like me, to use all vacation time for backpacking?

My girlfriend want's to go to Disney World.....I don't want to use my vacation time for freaking Disney World...Grrr!!

Traveler
12-18-2015, 17:18
I would love to find a wife that enjoys backpacking. Of course they are few and far between.
I've been jumping from girlfriend to girlfriend these past few years and feel that I can't totally commit to someone unless they enjoy the outdoors.

I keep asking myself the same question "Do I just settle down, get married even if she doesn't hike and just hike on my own time?"

Or, keep looking for the "one", the one that wants to hike all the time like me, to use all vacation time for backpacking?

My girlfriend want's to go to Disney World.....I don't want to use my vacation time for freaking Disney World...Grrr!!

"Sometimes you've got to learn to live with what you can't rise above" B. Springsteen

sliverstorm
12-18-2015, 19:16

What's most important to you in a partner? How would you feel about someone who was perfect EXCEPT she didn't enjoy the outdoors? Is that a trainwreck because you spend every minute of spare time in the hills, or acceptable because the outdoors are an occasional outlet rather than your life?

Penn-J
12-18-2015, 19:56
What's most important to you in a partner? How would you feel about someone who was perfect EXCEPT she didn't enjoy the outdoors? Is that a trainwreck because you spend every minute of spare time in the hills, or acceptable because the outdoors are an occasional outlet rather than your life?

I would like to think that someone who was perfect EXCEPT she didn't enjoy the outdoors would work for me but it just hasn't yet.

And the outdoors IS my life. Just because I'm not on a trail, doesn't mean I'm not moved by natural beauty, enjoying the wind, the rainy day, the sky, the coldness of winter. When I go for a bike ride, or go for a run, or just walking to my car sometimes, I'm still tapping into that "oneness with everything" feeling you get when thru hiking or weekend trips.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, how can I be with someone who doesn't feel that?

BirdBrain
12-18-2015, 20:10
I grew up hunting, fishing, trapping, running cross country, smoking dope, and drinking. I married a girl that had never hunted, fished, trapped, run cross country, smoked dope, or drank. When it came to the honeymoon planning, I wanted to go to Tahiti and she wanted to go to Disney World. We went to Disney World. My marriage is bliss. Coming up on 30 years. Today neither of us hunt or trap or drink or smoke pot. I took on a few of her interests and she took on a few of mine. I still do some things she will never do and vise versa. I would put her fishing skills up against any of you. Marry a person, not a list of activities. If the person is not more important than the activity, stay single.

MuddyWaters
12-18-2015, 20:12
Husband,Wife, Friend or Alone? (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/115571-Husband-Wife-Friend-or-Alone/page4)
Who are people we have sex with , Alex.

JohnHuth
12-19-2015, 12:29
My wife (of 32 years now) isn't fond of backpacking. She'll go canoeing - since most of the gear is just stowed. For portages, she'll make an exception to the "no gear on my back" rule. But, that's about it.

I hike, sea kayak, bike, snow shoe, and xc ski, but with friends, or solo. No problem

Tipi Walter
12-19-2015, 15:17
Naturlred needs to define his terms. "Hiking" with someone or solo is vastly different than "Backpacking". Many people consider hiking to be dayhiking, the bane of backpacking and its opposite.

There are Two Women we have to placate: Miss Nature and the Wife. Hope to god you found someone female and human who can put up with long periods of alone time while you're out in the woods. Hope she has family nearby. And hope to Odin that when you come back home after 3 weeks in the mountains she's still there and not in someone else's bed.

As for Miss Nature, well, she's a hungry jealous Woman of the Wind and will both love you when you sleep with her and end up crushing you and taking all your gear. Both are needed. You could say hello to Her on Day 1 with an eager countenance and come out on Day 21 with a ken doll crotch. She's the one we most need to impress but it's only because we're neanderthals at heart and have 200,000 years of sleeping with her. Even human wimmin are cro magnons at root---we are mammals and animals first.

Riding in cars as rolling couch potatoes and drooling over indoor thermostats and ad nauseam-tweeting while focusing on Kardashian's butt are all temporary modern constructs foreign to our paleolithic roots.

JohnHuth
12-19-2015, 18:11
Hope to god you found someone female and human who can put up with long periods of alone time while you're out in the woods.

She gets her innings. Two weeks of a yoga retreat in Jamaica while I'm dealing with endless blizzards in Boston.

poolskaterx
12-28-2015, 23:37
Day hikes with my Wife are great; multi-day packing with a friend or two is fun but solo works for me too. I like exploring.

AO2134
12-29-2015, 00:12
I like hiking solo or with a friend, but I like camping with a friend.

Mtsman
12-29-2015, 00:44
I hike alone most of the time. I have hiked with family and friends before but we are usually different hiking speeds (either I am too slow or they are) and that throws a wrench into everything. Especially if I feel they need attention while on the trail. I am a pretty independent guy when on the trail though so YMMV.

HYOH

Teacher & Snacktime
12-29-2015, 00:51
Hmmm....who do I like hiking with? :)

I can't help but notice child or grandchild is missing from the list of choices. So far I've backpacked with grandson, son, friends, and total strangers that became friends. I've hiked with grandsons, sons, friends and my husband. I've completely enjoyed it all - even with the occasional mishap (or business as usual). I look forward to my first solo backpacking soon, and then I hope "All of the above" will be my response.