PDA

View Full Version : Tent foot print

Bubblehead
12-03-2015, 15:15
I am hiking the AT from Springer to HF beginning late April. Do I really need to bring a tent footprint with me? Trying to keep the weight down, and have heard both pros and cons of using a tent footprint. Any suggestions would be appreciated...:banana

squeezebox
12-03-2015, 15:55
You could always compromise and get the "polycro ?' shrink wrap stuff for windows. Very light and surprising durable from what I hear, easy to replace when necessary. I'm thinking of switching.

daddytwosticks
12-03-2015, 16:47
No, you don't really need a tent footprint if you are serious about saving weight. However, I do bring along the factory footprint for my free standing MSR Hubba tent. Why? Because it makes setting up/taking down the tent, fly first, in the rain so much easier. YMMV. :)

Franco
12-03-2015, 16:59
To my customers I suggest that if you can walk barefooted over your camp site, you don't need one.
So that depends on your ability to find an elevated and clean/grassy spot to set your tent up.
Some are particularly good at scanning the area and finding those spots others are just as good at finding water holes or seemingly good but full of pointed rocks areas.
As pointed out above, if your tent is one that sets up inner first but can use the factory groundsheet to make it fly first, then there is a benefit to have that footprint.
(At Tarptent we only make fly first/integral pitch tents...)

HooKooDooKu
12-03-2015, 17:05
You'll have to make your mind up as to whether the extra weight of the footprint is worth the pro's for your situation.

As an example: One of the pro's for using a footprint is that it keeps your tent clean. If you're always setting your tent up in grassy meadows, then you don't need a footprint because the grass will keep the tent clean. But in my situation, I do most of my camping in GSMNP where you may only camp in designated camp sites, meaning that you're almost always setting up your tent in dirt/mud.

Another example: If you are using an ultra-light tent like BA-Copper Spur, even the manufacturer recommends a footprint to improve the durability of the tent floor. Many times that I'm setting up my tent, I'm finding sharp twigs and seeds and therefore want to protect my investment in an expensive Copper Spur with a ground cloth. But if you are using a relative heavyweight tent like a Kelty tent... the floor is already made of a relatively thick material that doesn't need the extra protection.

Another Example: A ground cloth helps keep ground moisture from coming up thru your tent. It you're not using a 'footprint', then you might want to consider using a throw-away painters drop cloth. But then again, if you are camping in desert teritory, then ground moisture isn't an issue.

So beyond these generic examples, the only thing I can specifically recommend is that since your talking about camping in the humid south, you might want to consider a footprint if for no other reason than to help keep the bottom of your tent clean. But even then, you have a range of things you can use to accomplish this: Manufacturers matched ground cloth, tyvek, polycro, plastic painters tarp.

SkraM
12-03-2015, 17:22
No, you do not need the tent foot print. Many serious hikers manage without one. However, the benefits of having a vapor barrier between your tent floor and the moist ground may be worth the extra weight. A piece of Tyvek sheet for a solo tent will weigh around 4-5 oz. 5 oz that may extend the life of the tent (wear and tear from roots and rocks). If you get stuck in a shelter the footprint can be used to mark your territory and keep your sleep bag off the dirty shelter floor (extending the life of your bag). Want to take a midday break but there’s no dry place to sit – use the footprint.

When tent, I think the footprint is worth the weight.

HeartFire
12-03-2015, 18:15
A (tyvek or other) footprint is also useful as a ground sheet if sleeping in shelters on the AT - it keeps drafts out and your pad clean - rather than putting your pad on the shelter floor.

Also, I've seen my (LightHeart Gear) tents come in for repairs after a thru hike, I can tell if they didn't use a ground sheet - the floor has numerous abrasions, and tiny holes.

Colter
12-03-2015, 18:37
I never carry a footprint. For me it's a good example of leaving home something I don't need.

I don't rely on a tent floor to keep out pooled water. I think that's asking for trouble. I set up where water won't pool. Therefore any nicks or pinholes in a shelter floor aren't an issue with my style of camping/backpacking.

If someone wants to camp where water will pool, then yes, they should carry a footprint to protect their shelter's floor.

Since I often camp with floor-less shelters without a footprint, (using a closed cell pad) I have no need for both a floor and a footprint.

Slosteppin
12-03-2015, 21:40
I always used a footprint with my first tent, about 35 years ago. Since the first one I've probably used at least a dozen different tents but I have not used a footprint since the first one. I can remember two different times sitting in the tent during a hard storm and watching a stream run under the tent - nothing inside got wet. The first time was with a Tarptent Double Rainbow on Isle Royale. The second time I was in a Lightheart Gear Solo tent in Florida.

hikerhobs
12-13-2015, 14:25
I always use a footprint it will save your tents floor, how much weight are you really saving by not using one? Not much.

swjohnsey
12-13-2015, 15:07
I never use footprint, just extra weight Never had a tent floor wear out.

Hosh
12-13-2015, 15:37
You could always compromise and get the "polycro ?' shrink wrap stuff for windows. Very light and surprising durable from what I hear, easy to replace when necessary. I'm thinking of switching.

I've used polycro for several seasons. It's very light, tough and can serve multi-functions. I like to keep my stuff clean, so it protects the tent floor. I also use it as ground mat to lay out my stuff prior to packing up. It also serves as a temporary rain tarp for waiting out heavy rains.

The excess material can be used for making sleeves for silverware, tent stakes, and ditty bags.

hikerhobs
12-13-2015, 15:59
I do most of my backpacking in the winter months, So the footprint gives me one more layer of protection from the cold ground. I also put a thin tarp on the inside of my tent to protect the floor. Weight does not concern me.

Bubblehead
12-13-2015, 16:02
Thanks for all of the input in regards to using or not using a tent footprint. I believe I will use one; I have used one in the past and I believe it will give longer life to my tent and keep it cleaner without sacrificing a whole lot of weight. I've already gotten a sheet of tyvek, and will be making a footprint shortly. One question....how many inches in from the outer edge of the tent should I cut the footprint? 1 inch? 2 inches? more????? Thanks, Bubblehead

squeezebox
12-13-2015, 16:04
My guess is Lightheart knows what she is talking about, I'll go with her opinion.

Hosh
12-13-2015, 16:14
Thanks for all of the input in regards to using or not using a tent footprint. I believe I will use one; I have used one in the past and I believe it will give longer life to my tent and keep it cleaner without sacrificing a whole lot of weight. I've already gotten a sheet of tyvek, and will be making a footprint shortly. One question....how many inches in from the outer edge of the tent should I cut the footprint? 1 inch? 2 inches? more????? Thanks, Bubblehead

I would run the Tyvek sheet through several wash cycles before getting to a finished size. Washing will take out the stiffness and noise from the virgin material. You'll want the foot print inside the tent perimeter so it does not collect water off the fly. An inch or so should be plenty.

Vegan Packer
12-14-2015, 04:19

I can't remember for certain, but I think I did about one or two inches.

Traillium
12-14-2015, 10:06
I've long been puzzled by tent footprints …
I see how they protect the tent bottom from sharp objects. But I fail to see how they adequately keep the bottom clean, nor how they keep the contents dry.
As long-time wilderness canoeists, we've used a piece of construction plastic inside the tent, boated up 10–15cm on all sides. (I'll be switching to tyvec for my future trips.) True, the bottom of the tent now leaks, but with judicious use of duct tape, the plastic/tyvec is always waterproof, as are the contents of the tent. We do have to brush off the bottom of the tent before packing, but, then, who doesn't anyway?
I've seen mention of specifically constructed tyvec boats for under tarps. Why not use them inside tents as well?
(I'm now 'hanging' on backpacking trails, btw …)

Bruce Traillium

Traillium
12-14-2015, 10:12
I've long been puzzled by tent footprints …
I see how they protect the tent bottom from sharp objects. But I fail to see how they adequately keep the bottom clean, nor how they keep the contents dry.
As long-time wilderness canoeists, we've used a piece of construction plastic inside the tent, boated up 10–15cm on all sides. (I'll be switching to tyvec for my future trips.) True, the bottom of the tent now leaks, but with judicious use of duct tape, the plastic/tyvec is always waterproof, as are the contents of the tent. We do have to brush off the bottom of the tent before packing, but, then, who doesn't anyway?
I've seen mention of specifically constructed tyvec boats for under tarps. Why not use them inside tents as well?
(I'm now 'hanging' on backpacking trails, btw …)

Bruce Traillium

squeezebox
12-14-2015, 11:14
If you wash the Tyvek it becomes much softer and flexible. On each corner I made a loop in a piece of cord and tied the other end of the cord to the Tyvek. It functions the same as the grommet on the store bought ground sheet.

colorado_rob
12-14-2015, 11:34
I never use footprint, just extra weight Never had a tent floor wear out.Me too. I just don't get the footprint thing, and I've had tents last well 100 nights of use. If you absolutely must use one, for some reason, get a sheet of polycro and save weight over using the heavier tyvek. Polycro is roughly half the weight. Gossamer Gear two-packs of polycro, 6x10', are 10 bucks. cut to size a tad smaller than tent bottom.

poolskaterx
12-22-2015, 14:48
The extra 5 oz or so for a footprint for a solo tent is worth it to me; its multi use as a clean place to lay out your gear, protect your tent/sleeping bag from moisture, emergency pack cover, etc... I always bring one with me in my kit.

paule
12-22-2015, 20:12
I like having my footprint with my copper spur,,,that way I can set up the fly and footprint without the tent if I am so inclined.

v1k1ng1001
12-24-2015, 17:44
I would bring a footprint if you're not sure what kind of terrain you're pitching on. Less than five days...I'd cut a piece of polycro. More than five days...I'd opt for the tyvek.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

EVC
12-24-2015, 19:28
I've never bothered with one before because I normally use 2 person tents like my zPacks Duplex that have plenty of room for stowing gear inside out of the weather.

I recently purchased a single person Hilleberg Akto. After my first outing with it, I decided to get a footprint for it because its too small to bring my pack inside. I wanted a floor for the vestibule so my gear doesn't get muddy in wet weather.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

adamfbomb
01-04-2016, 12:44
Don't get polycro, it really offers you no advantage. It's thinner than a plastic bag and will not offer any protection to your tent. Just get a sheet of Tyvek and carry the extra 8 ounces if you really need a groundsheet.

Harrison Bergeron
01-05-2016, 11:24
I wouldn't be without one on the AT if you're planning to stay near the shelters (where the water and company is). The tent sites are limited and overused and therefore muddy when it rains. In fact, next time I'll take a bigger sheet of polycro, because in one rainstorm it rained so hard that the mud splashed under my tent fly and over the bathtub floor and made a mess of things. Fortunately, I had my poncho to cover up with, so it wasn't too bad. But with a bigger groundsheet that extended beyond the tent fly rather than just the floor, it would have just been water splashing in instead of mud.

Even when it's not raining, the ground on the AT is always a little moist. It's much easier to clean the gunk from the bottom of a groundsheet than a tent. You can fold it in half, wipe that side, fold again, and so on until it's small enough to pick up.

When it's raining and space is available, you'll probably choose to stay in the shelter, and then you'll want a groundsheet to keep your gear off the filthy floor. The rustling plastic also serves as a mouse invasion early-warning device.

And, no, polycro is NOT thinner or more fragile than plastic bag. It's actually a little stiff and very hard to puncture. It's much different stuff than a plastic drop cloth you might pick up at Home Depot. The groundsheet I used last year is still perfectly serviceable after a month on the trail.