PDA

View Full Version : favorite hikes in the Poconos?

somers515
12-03-2015, 20:25
My last overnight hike was terrific and all thanks to you on Whiteblaze. Let's hope I'll get lucky again . . .

Ideally looking for a nice loop hike with good views and decent wilderness or remote tenting overnight spots in the Poconos of PA. What are your favorite hikes in the Poconos? Looking for suggestions besides the AT if possible.

somers515
12-04-2015, 17:32
Ok a swing and a miss . .

How about if I lower my qualifications to just what's your favorite hike with good views in the Poconos?

tdoczi
12-04-2015, 18:43
Ok a swing and a miss . .

How about if I lower my qualifications to just what's your favorite hike with good views in the Poconos?

i'm by no means even close to an expert, but living sort of near-ish the poconos myself ive looked at hiking there a little bit and at a cursory glance what i seemed to have found was there just isnt much hiking there at all outside of the AT. like the state parks that are there, the trails they have are like little 2 mile flat ground loops, etc.

anyways, maybe theres some hidden gem, but im guessing thats why your question was a "swing and a miss."

Wise Old Owl
12-04-2015, 21:03
One you never heard of and its a muscle cruncher... after this your legs will be "pinging" for three days...

Its a Thousand Steps, its not in the Poconos... but its the muscle cruncher of PA..Most likely I will not do this one again... its not the up - its the trip back.

hikerhobs
12-05-2015, 09:22
There's two trails I've hiked in the pocono area. The Pinchot trail, and the thunder swamp trail. Both are loops and are around 28 miles.

bobp
12-05-2015, 10:20
Just outside the Poconos, you can't go wrong with any of the trails at Rickett's Glen State Park. The park is adjacent to a number of State Game Lands, and the area has some old rail lines and quiet dirt roads for hiking or trail biking.

somers515
12-05-2015, 15:27
There's two trails I've hiked in the pocono area. The Pinchot trail, and the thunder swamp trail. Both are loops and are around 28 miles.

First of all - thank you to all who chimed in! I've heard good things about Ricketts Glen and also Bushkill Falls. Also heard for AT views hiking from the Blue Rocks Campground up to Pulpit Rock and Pinnacle or alternatively I know Lehigh Gap is nice but I was trying to look for something outside the AT.

The Pinchot trail and the Thunder Swamp trail loops seem to be ALMOST perfectly what I'm looking for. They appear to be nice loops, off the AT, in the Poconos, you can get permission to wilderness camp - they both just seem to be missing the mountain/ridge views department. Am I incorrect? Is there somewhere along either the Pinchot trail or the Thunder Swamp trail that you can get some nice rock outcropping with a view of a valley below?

hikerhobs
12-06-2015, 15:21
I don't think they have the views that you are looking for where you can see for miles and miles, But two really nice trails, Go hike them I think you will enjoy them.

somers515
12-06-2015, 18:59
I don't think they have the views that you are looking for where you can see for miles and miles, But two really nice trails, Go hike them I think you will enjoy them.

Gotcha Hikerhobs - thanks!

somers515
12-11-2015, 19:30
I got "Hiking the Poconos" by John L. Young from the Library. There's a chart in the book listing hikes with "great views". True to everyone's comments in this thread there weren't that many with great views checked off. The author said that many considered the view from Big Pocono State Park at the top of Camelback Mtn. to be the best view in the Poconos. It doesn't have camping opportunities though.

There were only two hikes in the book that had both "great views" and "for backpackers" checked off and that was 1) Mount Minsi (on the AT of course) and 2) Big Pine Hill (which i believe is either on or just off the Pinchot trail in Lackawanna State forest).

So I think I will drive up, check out the view from Camelback real quick and then spend a long weekend exploring the Pinchot trail. Thank you all for the suggestions. I also want to check out the Falls at Ricketts Glen and Glen Onoko at some point.

atbackpacker
12-11-2015, 20:57
my wife and i hiked the pinchot trail last november. the trail is a nice overnight loop with water and designated campsites. it wasn't crowded and had a nice view from the fire tower.
we were required to get a overnight permit from the ranger. (they didn't charge for the permit) additionally no campfires are permitted after october 31st.

rickett's glen and glen onoko are both good day hikes. rickett's glen is a beautiful seven mile loop. take your camera you'll want photos.

Malto
12-13-2015, 09:27
I did a long hike yesterday at Delaware water Gap NRA on the AT. plenty of views of the Poconos. I did an out and back but there may be some loopin to do there.

jmitchell
12-13-2015, 20:42
Best views- Eales Preserve at Moosic Mtn. Hike the Blueberry Trail. Near an urban area, but the views are excellent, 30-40 mile views.

Bruce Lake Natural Area- can do a 9 mile loop, Bruce Lake is very beautiful.

Bear Creek Preserve- Great hiking, Shades Creek is particularly gorgeous with pools and cascades.

https://natlands.org/preserves-to-visit/list-of-preserves/bear-creek-preserve/

Glen Onoko- views and waterfalls

Lehigh Gorge State Park- unofficial trails lead to awesome views of the gorge.