PDA

View Full Version : Elliptical Machines and Virtual Hiking Videos

Paddlefoot
12-04-2015, 12:28
Okay...hope this isn't too off-topic.

The only kind of exercise I like is hiking or biking outside. I tried hard to learn to like to walk on the treadmill during winter in Wisconsin, but I find it SO boring. And as a result I get out of shape in the cold months.

Does anyone have an elliptical machine with any of those virtual hiking screens that you can put different videos of hikes on? I'm struggling figuring out if these legitimately work or a gimmick.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Save me from a cookie and donut induced coma!

QHShowoman
12-04-2015, 12:30
Can you just get a regular elliptical with an iPad and stream your favorite hiking films?

Also, if you can find a gym with a Versaclimber, that might be a fun way to spice up an indoor workout.

naturlred
12-04-2015, 13:06
Wow, from WI also, I can completely understand being from WI myself.

I love the elliptical and use my kindle to read, watch movies and such while exercising. Maybe try something like that.

Out of curiosity, where do you hike in WI? Any favorites?

I will admit, I am shocked to see another hiker that actually lives in WI....their are not many that is for sure.

naturalred.wordpress.com

bemental
12-04-2015, 13:11
Being from Maine I feel your pain. I'm currently getting my act together (physically) in preparation for a thru in 2016 but find it hard with the weather.

I find the biggest help in exercising is to have a specific goal you're trying to achieve. What that might be is up to you.

ChrisJackson
12-04-2015, 14:00
Heated indoor pool at the Y once or twice a week might break things up.

Dogwood
12-04-2015, 14:01
When on the elliptical or exercising in general I don't inspire myself just visually. I do it while listening to energetic music with positive lyrics or even inspiring energetic music with lyrics in another language that I don't know, creating an aroma I find stimulating(fresh pine scent, lemon, lavender, rosemary, bergamot, peppermint, frankincense, etc)/aromatherapy, adding tactility/touch(go barefoot, grip a studded dog like squeeze toy in my hand, working out in the falling rain/snow, sense the Vitamin D being made by the sun striking my exposed skin, feel the wind, etc), taste(chew gum, suck on a peppermint, eat those Ginger Chew candies, sip flavored water, etc), and THINK/VISUALIZE about things that make me smile, laugh, and feel good.

I get inspired by children's infectious laughter/curious playing so include my exercise outside to be around playgrounds. Laughter is great medicine. I get inspired to health by being around other people exercising with humility. I'm also so inspired by even unfit(over wt folks) that move to initiate exercise. I inspire myself to health by having and always adding to a visual collage on my wall I meditate on everyday of those that inspire me(fit athletes, fit celebrities, Thomas Edison, Albert Einstein, Mother Teresa, Mohatma Gandi, and many who achieve and are making contributions to a whole despite unsurmountable obstacles. I have inspirations sayings, golden nuggets of wisdom, and Bible verses that inspire me. I especially read and MEDITATE deeply from Proverbs. I respect all wisdom from any philosophy, religion, science, political/social/racial/national/economic/social back round when doing this. It makes me more tolerant which perhaps leads to greater appreciation which is inspirational too. Having a sense of gratitude, finding reasons to be ever grateful for, keeps me inspired! I get turned off by and avoid environments where folks are constantly being offended by something or complaining!

I feel pulled down emotionally, mentally, and spiritually, which I KNOW can lead to negatively influencing me physically, when in certain negative energy environments like Mickey Dees(many fast food joints), Wally World, selfish/self absorbed/only self concerned wasteful materialistic consume consume consume environments, gluttony inducing environments(buffets, shopping malls, etc), ignorance, in many situations with mass alcohol/drug intoxication, etc. I avoid these environments and guard my heart and mind if I find myself momentarily in these environments.

Consider combing hiking, the outdoors, and exercise by doing trail maintenance, volunteering, and/or picking up trash at nearby park!

Consider how you can accomplish hiking, biking, love of the outdoors, and exercising by including others. For example, volunteer at a Nature Center, with the Boy/Girl Scouts, volunteer or start a community garden(growing your own food in the outdoors helping others to do the same inspires me!), give an outdoorsy talk(kids and the elderly are GREAT audiences IF you inspire them possibly contributing to your own inspiration simultaneously), volunteer at a bike race or trail running event, hike/bike for a cause(helping others is helping yourself), check out volunteering with Habitat for Humanity, etc. THINK THINK THINK and then DO DO DO. LOTS of ways to accomplish not only something for yourself but others too.

Rmcpeak
12-04-2015, 14:12
I recommend a Concept 2 rowing machine and a few HBO serial dramas.

LoneStranger
12-04-2015, 14:24
I try to hit the basement bike trainer to do VO2 work a few times a week over the winter, but mostly I snowshoe which really keeps the legs in shape. It only takes half an hour to do some very evil things on the trainer so I just put on a CD and hit it. Snowshoeing not only is great for the legs, but the light reflecting off the snow does great things for the brain chemicals. Living this far from the equator you have to soak up that sunlight when you can or it makes for a very long winter.

Dogwood
12-04-2015, 14:34
When I resided full time in the Northeast I was surrounded by folks that complained about the weather. I got negative about it too sometimes using it as an excuse for not going outside or exercising. I ALLOWED myself to be unnecessarily influenced by people with that mindset. Maybe, misery does love company? Then, I started traveling during winter to Minnesota, Montana, Colorado, Utah, Maine, New Hampshire, Michigan's Upper Peninsula, upstate New York, and Vermont ALLOWING myself to be influenced by those who didn't let winter totally bring them indoors. I placed myself in a environment of JOYOUS outdoor winter enthusiasts. Changed my mindset. I now perceive winter as something to embrace with joy.

I took up snowshoeing, winter hiking, fat tire winter snow bicycling, snowboarding, ice fishing, hunting, winter climbing/ice climbing, seeking out iced up waterfalls, winter wildlife viewing, etc. Winter is MAGICAL. Winter is a GIFT. I will NOT ALLOW the outdoors to be ignored in winter anymore!

Now, I'm an expert on hot chocolate! :D

Pedaling Fool
12-04-2015, 14:49

The only kind of exercise I like is hiking or biking outside. I tried hard to learn to like to walk on the treadmill during winter in Wisconsin, but I find it SO boring. And as a result I get out of shape in the cold months.

Does anyone have an elliptical machine with any of those virtual hiking screens that you can put different videos of hikes on? I'm struggling figuring out if these legitimately work or a gimmick.

I need clarification. What are you wondering about possibly being a gimmick?

If you're asking about elliptical machines, than I do see them as not being the optimum piece of gear for prepping the body for a hike. In a cardio sense they are great machines, but hiking is not all about cardio fitness, actually the cardio aspect of hiking is one of the easiest things to build up. However, the body's musculoskeletal system is much tougher and time consuming to build up, not only build up, but to maintain as you age, especially bones and connective tissues. That is why you see so many people that must stop their hikes, has nothing to do with cardio, rather knee, hip, back, shoulder....problems.

As always I recommend things like weightlifting, followed by high-impact exercises, such as plyometrics and running http://www.artofmanliness.com/2010/05/21/beginners-guide-to-plyometrics/

Don't fall for the myth about the evils high-impact activities; life is high-impact, so is hiking. Best to prepare for it, the best way to start is thru lower-body weightlifting and then slowly start the other things.

When it comes to motivation, I have two things that I use to motivate me.

1. I always take note of old people, most of them are decrepit. Just walk around anywhere and you'll see them and most of those decrepit people aren't all that old, so you can imagine what they'll look like in 10+ years.

2. The other thing I do to motivate me is always coming up with new goals, whether it's on the bike or my runs or lifting or some type of gymnastic move. Never get into a routine.

Paddlefoot
12-04-2015, 14:58
I need clarification. What are you wondering about possibly being a gimmick?

I'm enjoying all the thoughtful feedback - but what I was asking about primarily is something like this:

http://www.vafitness.com/

I'm sort of wondering how effective these programs are - they seem to scroll ahead at the pace you are moving and one even mentioned the possibility of stimulating uphill travel?

Put me in the wilderness and my brain just switches on - I see the uphills as a challenge and the lure of new scenery eggs me on. But I HATE walking on a treadmill or being on a stationary bike and I live in a very rural area where health club membership isn't a viable option.

I though maybe I could fool my weak brain into thinking I was actually hiking!

Deadeye
12-04-2015, 15:03
...perceive winter as something to embrace with joy.

I took up snowshoeing, winter hiking, fat tire winter snow bicycling, snowboarding, ice fishing, hunting, winter climbing/ice climbing, seeking out iced up waterfalls, winter wildlife viewing, etc. Winter is MAGICAL. Winter is a GIFT. I will NOT ALLOW the outdoors to be ignored in winter anymore!

Now, I'm an expert on hot chocolate! :D

There you go.

Pedaling Fool
12-04-2015, 15:08
I'm enjoying all the thoughtful feedback - but what I was asking about primarily is something like this:

I'm sort of wondering how effective these programs are - they seem to scroll ahead at the pace you are moving and one even mentioned the possibility of stimulating uphill travel?

Put me in the wilderness and my brain just switches on - I see the uphills as a challenge and the lure of new scenery eggs me on. But I HATE walking on a treadmill or being on a stationary bike and I live in a very rural area where health club membership isn't a viable option.

I though maybe I could fool my weak brain into thinking I was actually hiking!It's a gimmick. At my gym they have a cycling room with a huge screen where they play scenarios like that, but overtime, it's just like watching a large screen tv and becomes very boring. Cool in the beginning, but very quickly looses its edge -- total waste of money. True fitness is very cheap.

Stick with self motivation, like what I mentioned in post #10. You don't need a gym to at least get started, use your body weight.

daddytwosticks
12-04-2015, 16:21
Love the elliptical machines at our local wellness center. Hit it at least 3 - 4 times a week for at least 30 minutes of "hillclimb". Usually watch the TV's (cable news) and listen to the piped in music. That and usually leer at the scantily clad young ladies. That's all the encouragement I need. :) :)

squeezebox
12-04-2015, 18:56
Didn't a group from Germany do exactly what the OP is asking for? I wonder how hard it would be to contact them and let them know an English translation might work for them also?

Dogwood
12-04-2015, 19:03

I though maybe I could fool my weak brain into thinking I was actually hiking!

The program(s) you refer to absolutely CAN work but as they say in those 12 Step groups, "the program CAN work IF YOU work it." others CA NOT DO IT FOR YOU. YOU have to save yourself!

You don't absolutely need one of those elliptical machines, although I definitely enjoy them as a lower impact cardio, footwork, and mainly lower half workout, with a coordinated video screen to succeed at what you're seeking though. If you go to Google Earth or check out YouTube hiking vids you can find all sorts of runs and hikes on vids. Placing an elliptical or other such machine in front of your computer or TV screen playing these vids accomplishes the same thing.

I STRONGLY CAUTION overwhelming stats and studies indicate that IF one waits or is "SOLD ON" only NEEDING the latest greatest exercise machine or gimmick the VAST MAJORITY NEVER FOLLOW THROUGH to habitually include exercising in their lifestyles.

I totally agree with Pedaling Fool when he said exercising does not have to be complicated or expensive. BEGINNING where you are using what you have taking the initiative to take that first step and continuing to make exercise part of an active lifestyle is where it's at.

T.S.Kobzol
12-04-2015, 19:33
Just get snowshoes, bigger hat and go outside. As others pointed out: Winter hiking/snowshoeing, fat biking, xc/bc skiing, Nordic Skating on those lovely Wisconsin lakes...

Wise Old Owl
12-04-2015, 20:45
Well this post is on topic and relevant.

Some of you may have to fill in the blanks....A young man walks into a hunting store and sees the duck decoys that are paper and 2 Dimensional. So he asks the guy behind the counter about how well they work, it's just 2D right? The guy shoots back that young men have been looking at Playboy for years and it works....

Now I now that for most of you that's so wrong.

You cannot get off the trail fast enough - its real...
You can always hop off a treadmill of any kind...at any time... hence the 2D

Where's your dedication? Find it...My treadmill is now in the living room.

FYI...
Playboy just printed their last issue... 32861 She is an activist and a survivor - she just survived Hepatitis of the liver. She claim she is cured. I wish her well.

My hope is that most of you are ready for April.

Heliotrope
12-04-2015, 20:55
Just get snowshoes, bigger hat and go outside. As others pointed out: Winter hiking/snowshoeing, fat biking, xc/bc skiing, Nordic Skating on those lovely Wisconsin lakes...

Yes! Get outside. I live in Maine and do workout indoors with weights as well as jump rope to music (or watch screen if you prefer) A jump rope is super cheap! On the weekends get out in the snow!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ardency
12-13-2015, 11:44
Midwest winters can be magical wonderlands, except when they're not. Sometimes there isn't a snow base and lack of daylight makes exercising outside a challenge or unsafe. The local Y just installed equipment with VA. The videos are okay, they go by pretty quickly. For longer term success, I agree with the other posters: picture your goals and where You want to be. Good luck!!