PDA

View Full Version : Gearing up

Lachlan
12-05-2015, 01:03
Am I the only one who loves gearing up for a long hike almost as much as the hike itself? Honestly, whats better that taking a trip to REI? Its like winning the lottery, except your poor afterwards...

bemental
12-05-2015, 09:19
I love to plan. And to get new gear.

It's a lot of fun to 'figure stuff out'.

Only difference for me is that we've got the LL Bean flagship store down the road from us, and I've an employee discount to said store. Way better than buying things at MSRP, and you can't beat that return policy.

Coffee
12-05-2015, 09:31
I hate shopping but love spreadsheets. Spreadsheets projecting mileage, spreadsheets planning my gear, spreadsheets planning my food, spreadsheets planning expenses. Almost ALL of it has become obsolete a few days into any longer hike but I persist anyway. It is fun for me!

bemental
12-05-2015, 09:40
I hate shopping but love spreadsheets. Spreadsheets projecting mileage, spreadsheets planning my gear, spreadsheets planning my food, spreadsheets planning expenses. Almost ALL of it has become obsolete a few days into any longer hike but I persist anyway. It is fun for me!

Absolutely agree with you.

Connie
12-05-2015, 10:22
I like "window shopping" online, sorting out gear before purchases.

Quite often, I find a great product and make-do with what I have by making modifications to the great features I find in great products online.

I purchased a Pfaff Hobby 300 portable sewing machine, at eBay, for $40.

I found out I can run a sewing machine.

I may even find out I can cut and tape cuben.

Sometimes, I save up for a big purchase "just because" it is so well-made and a great design I want to reward the maker. I know that can get "spendy" but if it is a well considered purchase, I don't mind.

bemental
12-05-2015, 11:17
I like "window shopping" online, sorting out gear before purchases.

Quite often, I find a great product and make-do with what I have by making modifications to the great features I find in great products online.

I purchased a Pfaff Hobby 300 portable sewing machine, at eBay, for $40.

I found out I can run a sewing machine.

I may even find out I can cut and tape cuben.

Sometimes, I save up for a big purchase "just because" it is so well-made and a great design I want to reward the maker. I know that can get "spendy" but if it is a well considered purchase, I don't mind.

I also enjoy supporting good businesses. That's the fun in buying stuff, ensuring said business sticks around!

squeezebox
12-05-2015, 18:22
I also enjoy supporting good businesses. That's the fun in buying stuff, ensuring said business sticks around!

I've been sewing off and on for at least 40+ years. My sewing skills are nowhere close to the Cottage industry folks, or even the larger companies. I'm not doing any thinking about DIY. Just my opinion.

Connie
12-05-2015, 22:12
Absolutely, so many of their products are so well-made there is "no way" I am at that skill level.

For example, Hammock Gear Burrow 20 is so exquisite it is almost incomprehensible: it feels lighter than a feather, how can it be so warm and soft and light and beautiful.

I have had other down sleep systems, some highly reputable and did the job.

Nevertheless, I am happy to be a Hammock Gear customer.

MuddyWaters
12-05-2015, 22:18
Am I the only one who loves gearing up for a long hike almost as much as the hike itself? Honestly, whats better that taking a trip to REI? Its like winning the lottery, except your poor afterwards...

I dont go to REI, or any other big box store, there is virtualy nothing I want or need there.

But the planning stage is enjoyable nonetheless. Gives me something to do at work, when I dont feel like working. Which is more often than it should be.

Heliotrope
12-06-2015, 00:15
I dont go to REI, or any other big box store, there is virtualy nothing I want or need there.

But the planning stage is enjoyable nonetheless. Gives me something to do at work, when I dont feel like working. Which is more often than it should be.

I buy most of my gear from cottage manufacturers and sew some myself. Going to outdoor gear stores has lost its' appeal. [emoji23] Though I do love the planning process and making spreadsheets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gbolt
12-06-2015, 00:19
I have backbacked my entire life. Yet, a little over 5 years ago, I started reading AT Thru Hiking Books. I decided to set the goal of a Thru Hike when I finally retire from work. Since then, much like MuddyWaters, I have revamped my entire Gear Load Out - Top to Bottom. At first my wife said that I had gone insane. Finally, she admitted that I have been much more relaxed and inspired during this process. This past fall, she even asked if I need to go "test" some new item because I seem to be a little more "on edge" then normal. Then stated that even if I never stepped foot on the AT; all this Gearing Up, and test hikes have made me a better partner. I agree, planning is an important part of it all.

squeezebox
12-06-2015, 00:21
What spreadsheets do you use because I'm a spreadsheet idiot. Help me get started.
Please & Thank you!

coastwatcher42
12-06-2015, 18:41
I am a self-professed "gear wh*re and can't even go on a day hike without getting a new piece of gear. Also, I've never seen the need or had the desire to make a spreadsheet.

Heliotrope
12-06-2015, 19:05
What spreadsheets do you use because I'm a spreadsheet idiot. Help me get started.
Please & Thank you!

I use "numbers" on my iPhone. This has the added benefit of giving me something interesting to do when:

1. The wife is shopping and I am bored out of my mind

2. I am waiting in a long line somewhere

3. There is a lull at work.

4. I escape to the men's room for a respite from the in-laws

The list goes on.

True geeks will probably like something more sophisticated but I like the convenience of it on my phone. One way to make the list is put all of your gear on one list. Then you can check only the items you plan to bring on a given trip. Each item can be given a value say for weight. Weigh each item with your kitchen scale. Measuring in grams is the most obsessive way. I use ounces. Once entered the program will tally the total weight of all checked items. I like having multiple spread sheets for mid summer, shoulder season and winter hikes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Connie
12-06-2015, 21:34
I use the gear lists to look at weighed gear.

geargrams makes it "easy" to have a Master List or an everything-list to draw from for the working lists.

I have arrived, again, at two backpacks: hike-out camp minimum UL and hike to camp LW.

This weighing gear items leads to looking at every item of gear.

Since I like looking a gear, this is "a good thing".

life scout
12-06-2015, 23:52
Don't let the addiction get the best of you. Keep safety first.

Keep cutting weight. But please be safe.

Connie
12-07-2015, 05:37
My over 100-page no ads website is completely about being safe.

In fact, it is almost 2016, I should get in there and update some things.

Coffee
12-07-2015, 10:59
Please & Thank you!

Excel 2007 (never felt a need to upgrade)