PDA

View Full Version : Water at/near Hawk Mtn. Shelter Shelter

ATaBoy
12-05-2015, 08:52
Hawk Mtn Shelter water question here :I see from trail guide that shelter is .2 mile off trail and the water source is another .2 miles going same direction. How tough is that water source to find? Is it a stream? Creek? Rivulet? Spring? Appreciate any help you can offer-

Ronbo17
12-05-2015, 09:23
Its a great water source (stream), you should have no problems at any time of the year to get water. Facing the shelter, it's going to be at a 10:00 position, follow the blue blaze to the stream. Not hard at all, but requires you to look around a little to find the trail to it.

FatMan
12-05-2015, 10:54
Easy to find spring. Reliable year round water source unless in extreme drought. Most importantly, it is the last water source heading north bound until Justus Creek about 6 miles away. And a pretty tough 6 miles to boot.

MuddyWaters
12-05-2015, 13:47
Hawk Mtn Shelter water question here :I see from trail guide that shelter is .2 mile off trail and the water source is another .2 miles going same direction. How tough is that water source to find? Is it a stream? Creek? Rivulet? Spring? Appreciate any help you can offer-

You will figure out, that you dont need to know every detail.:)

Shelters generally have reliable water sources, thats part of the selection process for their sites. They generally are flowing something year round. Driest months are sept and oct. There are well trodden blue blazed trails to the water at shelters. They are often springs with pipes to make it easy to collect water.

In short, you really dont have to worry about it. This is one of the reasons the AT is easy to hike.

tiptoe
12-05-2015, 16:24
I didn't go to Hawk Mountain shelter; I hiked (southbound) past it and found a stream, maybe the same water source as at the shelter, right on the trail in one or two tenths of a mile. Last July the water was flowing nicely.