PDA

View Full Version : Trekker or Lunar Solo....Go

FloydBanks
12-05-2015, 11:05
Ok. Been giving myself headaches over the past few months about What tent to buy. Originally was between the TT Notch/Rainbow or the Lunar Solo. With the deals going on right now I have decided to go with a SMD rather than TT. Just more cost effective for me for roughly the same weight.

So the issue I have now is the Solo or the Trekker. Originally was leaning Solo but have started to pull a 180. The Solo seems to be the more popular of the 2 and I am not sure why. Same listed weight. I am 6'3 200lbs and the trekker seems to offer more head room with the 2 pole system. Ability to open up both sides is really appealing. Smaller footprint than the Solo but with less "wasted" Space. Only thing holding me back is perceived vestibule space. I know the trekker has 2 vs the Solo's 1 but in the pics and videos I have looked at the Lunars one seems to be a bit more useable.

I think I have made my choice. Just looking for a little nudge in the direction maybe. Anybody have experience with both they can offer an opinion.

Sorry if I am beating a dead horse with this one but just need a little help to pull the trigger. Thanks.

B.j. Clark
12-05-2015, 13:27
Lunar Solo: Larger inside if you want gear in tent with you.
Easy 1 pole setup.
Larger footprint can make finding space to pitch a little harder.
Low back wall means sleeping in the front half of the tent.
Large vestibule.
Your head can end up pretty close to a wall.
I like this shelter but I can see the advantage of two vestibules that can be pulled back in warm weather. I think the Trekker vestibules are plenty big enough to store gear. Two entries give you more pitching options as well. I also like the idea of no solid tent wall too close to my face as I am a side sleeper.

Vegan Packer
12-05-2015, 17:02
Some footage on the Trekker that may help you in making your decision. (BTW, there is a chance that I will be selling mine, but I won't know for about a month or so about that. If you are looking to pick this up for a great price, I'll be ready to sell after the holidays, if I am going to do it.)

3:10 - 3:31 Setting up.
4:08 - 5:01 Shows inside height room with me sitting up.
16:18 - 19:39 Tour of the tent and gear storage. Examples of open fly options.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWtlSbaAY7o

Rmcpeak
12-05-2015, 18:31
Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the Trekker may be bigger, or at least longer. I know that I chose it for myself because it was long and I'm 6'4''. I really like it. The two poles make it feel roomy too me and I love the dual entry/vestibule. I can pitch mine in 2 minutes. I like that it only requires 5 stakes. I like that it's a tent with a floor and bug net all in one. Easy.

B.j. Clark
12-05-2015, 19:57
You are right about the length. The Trekker is 13" longer albeit it goes to a point at the head end. The Lunar Solo is 90" long.

ryjohnson09
12-05-2015, 21:12
I don't have any experience with the trekker but I recently purchased and used a Lunar Solo...check out my review

https://microhiking.wordpress.com/2015/08/12/six-moon-design-lunar-solo-le-review-and-setup-2015/

FloydBanks
12-07-2015, 08:46
Thanks for the input. Pulled the trigger on the Trekker. Will post some comments once I test it out.