PDA

View Full Version : Coffee Mugs

SkeeterPee
12-06-2015, 12:46
Still learning the ropes but so far I have been making my coffee (instant) in a cup that fits inside my pot. It is a very hot cup so not that fun to use, but not bad when cold out as I have my gloves on.

Typical routine, wake up, make coffee. sip hot coffee while water boils for oatmeal or breakfast meal. let both sit while I break down camp. Finish coffee, eat, make second cup and let sit. use privy. pack rest of stuff up, but I can't completely pack until the coffee is gone. This means longer in camp than I need to. maybe in the summer when days are long, an extra 20 mins would be nice. but now I would prefer to be hiking.

I'm not sure I want the weight, but does anyone use a proper mug that won't spill? This would allow me to enjoy the coffee for an hour or so while hiking. Does anyone carry a 16-20 oz mug? Are their lightweight options?

SkeeterPee
12-06-2015, 12:49
by not spill I mean a mug I could put in one of the water pouches that I can reach without taking off the pack. that way I could stop take a swig, and continue. FYI, I have trekking poles in my hands so I can't just hold it.

shakey_snake
12-06-2015, 13:31
http://www.gsioutdoors.com/infinity-backpacker-mug.html

saltysack
12-06-2015, 15:45
I've gotten used to adding hot coco powder or instant breakfast powder, pack of trader joes instant coffee and a pack of via in a Gatorade bottle. Taste good with cold water and doesn't leak. Have your first cup hot while packing and make one of these to go...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KDogg
12-06-2015, 15:53
I second the GSI mug. Very light. Comes with a cozy that has a non-skid surface on the bottom. Top fits snug.

SkeeterPee
12-06-2015, 16:19
I've gotten used to adding hot coco powder or instant breakfast powder, pack of trader joes instant coffee and a pack of via in a Gatorade bottle. Taste good with cold water and doesn't leak. Have your first cup hot while packing and make one of these to go...

Are you saying you make your hot coffee in the Gatorade bottle? or the second cup in the Gatorade is made cold?

saltysack
12-06-2015, 16:23
No cold only....I only carry a SP 600 as pot and or mug...hot in mug only or a nalgene

donthaveoneyet
12-06-2015, 18:52

Assumes you aren't using trekking poles? I mean, who can hike and sip from a cup and use poles at the same time....?

juma
12-06-2015, 18:59
16.9 oz bottle, bustelo instant espresso, pack of hot choco mix, cold water, mix, shake, drink. get out of bag, pack and go. have another at 10am, at 12pm. continue the march....they hell with hot, thats for sissy and the day hikers.

or, if you are a potential ranger, just eat a spoonful of expresso chrystals, tear a hole in the tent, and run off into the woods.

or get some caffinated fruit flavored drink mix and do that.

SkeeterPee
12-06-2015, 20:27

I don't think this would work. I can barely fit a Nalgene bottle in the pocket and retrieve it one handed. This is even wider then a Nalgene bottle.

nsherry61
12-06-2015, 20:59
The GSI infinity mug is water tight when closed, so you could just clip it on your shoulder strap and unclip it to drink? It's an awesome mug!

tflaris
12-06-2015, 21:14
It's not a walking cup but works for us.

http://www.rei.com/product/787278/sea-to-summit-x-mug

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SkeeterPee
12-06-2015, 21:19
The GSI infinity mug is water tight when closed, so you could just clip it on your shoulder strap and unclip it to drink? It's an awesome mug!

Thanks for that Idea, That would work as I have even clipped a litter Nalgene bottle there at times and then I would not use up a pocket where I normally have water.

Venchka
12-06-2015, 22:53
Zojirusi stainless steel 16 ounce mug.
Locking leakproof lid and one handed operation.
Keeps coffee hot for hours. Works even better if you warm it with hot water first.
I've used mine daily to take coffee to work for a couple years now. They also make a wide mouth version for food.

SM-KHE48

http://www.zojirushi.com/app/product/smkhe

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

daddytwosticks
12-07-2015, 08:17
Just my opinion, but a hot drink in the morning is part of my wake-up process. For me, this wake-up process should be done in a relaxed, non-rushed manner. Sipping from a mug while I'm trying to hike, hold trekking poles, and pant and gasp while climbing up hill is not for me. :)

colorado_rob
12-07-2015, 11:16
http://www.gsioutdoors.com/infinity-backpacker-mug.htmlUmmmmmm..... Hot coffee in the morning.... One of the great pleasures in life, and I sure enjoy it on the trail; thanks for this link, I might replace my current mug:

http://www.rei.com/product/794090/sea-to-summit-delta-insulmug

with that one, or even this one from the same site:

http://www.gsioutdoors.com/gourmet-nesting-mug-bowl.html?color=Green

I like the nesting thing for my occasional morning oatmeal. My current mug is around 4 ounces as I do not bother carrying the lid. Looks like I can save nearly an ounce.

BTW, someone asked: Easy to temporarily place one trekking pole under ones armpit (same arm as is holding other pole) to free up one hand while hiking. I do this all the time. Still, I'd rather sit and enjoy my morning 2 cups of coffee; I'm not in that much of a hurry most mornings.

cmoulder
12-07-2015, 15:15
I really like that GSI mug. Gotta have a lotta hot coffee in the morning, and the neoprene cozy really keeps it hot for a while, even down to 0F and below. Not bad for something that holds 17 fluid oz and weighs ~3.5oz.

As for hiking while drinking coffee, it isn't that hard to stow one pole or to carry both poles in one hand for a while. Just slow the pace a little and it's no problem.

Photo of me drinking coffee from the GSI mug while hiking a hilly part of the Link Trail along Loyalsock Creek in PA.

egilbe
12-07-2015, 15:27
I bought mine at llbean. Holds two cups so doubles as a measuring cup when making padta sides.

SkeeterPee
12-07-2015, 23:07
Thanks for the ideas. I am going to check out the GSI one. While I might not be in a hurry in the summer, now the sun sets by 5pm. Also, if cold in the morning, I might just prefer to pack up quick and start walking and enjoy stopping and sipping the coffee as I go.

hikerhobs
12-07-2015, 23:23
Looks like I'll be asking Santa for a GSI mug this Christmas !

cmoulder
12-08-2015, 19:54
Well ol' Santa is getting off easy because it's only about $10! :D

rocketsocks
12-09-2015, 01:21
Got the older style (model from a couple years ago) GSI mug with the rubber wet suit material around it, pretty nice and holds a whole can of soup with some room for rough housing without spillin'

QiWiz
12-09-2015, 17:15
Still learning the ropes but so far I have been making my coffee (instant) in a cup that fits inside my pot. It is a very hot cup so not that fun to use, but not bad when cold out as I have my gloves on.

Typical routine, wake up, make coffee. sip hot coffee while water boils for oatmeal or breakfast meal. let both sit while I break down camp. Finish coffee, eat, make second cup and let sit. use privy. pack rest of stuff up, but I can't completely pack until the coffee is gone. This means longer in camp than I need to. maybe in the summer when days are long, an extra 20 mins would be nice. but now I would prefer to be hiking.

I'm not sure I want the weight, but does anyone use a proper mug that won't spill? This would allow me to enjoy the coffee for an hour or so while hiking. Does anyone carry a 16-20 oz mug? Are their lightweight options?

The lightest option I have found is to take a large aluminum beverage can and add a reflectix cozy and silicone wrist band at top to protect lips from hot aluminum. You can end up with a 16 to 20 ounce insulated mug that is about an ounce.

shakey_snake
12-09-2015, 19:58
Assumes you aren't using trekking poles? I mean, who can hike and sip from a cup and use poles at the same time....?

I just stow away 1 pole while I'm coffeeing. I get it back out after the coffee works it's magic and I poop. :P

I look like a day hiker using one pole, but when I prematurely deposit a couple pounds I feel like a thruhiker.

scrabbler
12-09-2015, 20:01
I went a completely different route. I thought about all the time and effort I was spending, and what my final goals were. What I came up with was that I wanted to get the caffeine, and the calories, and get out fast. So I resorted to this. I heat 12oz water, not to boiling, but warm, helps things mix, and easier to slug down than boiling hot. To that I add my premixed homemade smoothie contents - Ensure, Nido, instant espresso, chocolate milk mix. This gets me my coffee fix, and a little over 500 calories all in one quick to drink cup. Works for me.

middle to middle
12-10-2015, 13:30
Logically freez dried would be best for hike but I always went with cowboy coffee and ate the grinds with coffee. MAX EFFECT. Only thing wrong with hiking is lack of cafene and alcahol.

BirdBrain
12-10-2015, 13:47
My morning routine always exceeds the time it takes to sip down my coffee. The lid from my grease pot is enough to keep the coffee hot in between sips. The coffee is long gone before I am done with foot inspection, body glide application, getting dressed, getting water, making NUUN drinks for the morning part of the walk, taking out day's snacks, packing items in pack, looking at day's agenda/route, and eating oatmeal. I don't make my coffee last. It is made first.

saltysack
12-10-2015, 23:20
I went a completely different route. I thought about all the time and effort I was spending, and what my final goals were. What I came up with was that I wanted to get the caffeine, and the calories, and get out fast. So I resorted to this. I heat 12oz water, not to boiling, but warm, helps things mix, and easier to slug down than boiling hot. To that I add my premixed homemade smoothie contents - Ensure, Nido, instant espresso, chocolate milk mix. This gets me my coffee fix, and a little over 500 calories all in one quick to drink cup. Works for me.

Yep...carnation instant breakfast..add turbinado packet and instant cafe bustelo expresso packet is gooooood..works cold as well for mid morning drink.

MuddyWaters
12-11-2015, 07:33

Whats wrong with a styrofoam cup/lid from convenience store. The papwr or plastuc coated ones are strong, fraction of oz. Keep in pot to protect

donthaveoneyet
12-11-2015, 12:56
I just stow away 1 pole while I'm coffeeing. I get it back out after the coffee works it's magic and I poop. :P

I look like a day hiker using one pole, but when I prematurely deposit a couple pounds I feel like a thruhiker.

Thanks, I really appreciate that information. :(

LittleRock
12-11-2015, 14:43
I used to do coffee and oatmeal in the morning but it literally added an extra 30 minutes to my morning routine since I had to unpack my cooking gear, boil water, make breakfast, eat breakfast, clean and re-pack my cooking gear. Nowadays, I just pop a caffeine pill and eat a cold breakfast - and I'm most often the first one out on the trail.

saltysack
12-11-2015, 15:28
I used to do coffee and oatmeal in the morning but it literally added an extra 30 minutes to my morning routine since I had to unpack my cooking gear, boil water, make breakfast, eat breakfast, clean and re-pack my cooking gear. Nowadays, I just pop a caffeine pill and eat a cold breakfast - and I'm most often the first one out on the trail.

I feel the same way most times but still need my morning joe. Instant cafe bustelo and carnation instant breakfast cold fits the bill....tastes good too.

MuddyWaters
12-11-2015, 21:47

In warm weather im the first.
In cold, i wait for sun to come up , 730-8am works.

On a 17F morning at Thomas knob a few weeks back i was woke up by a hiker passing at 430 am. Like i said, in warm weather im that hiker. Not at 17F though with 3 season gear. Id be unpleasantly cold before i finished packing up.