PDA

View Full Version : re: Miss Janet!

DavidNH
12-08-2005, 22:24
Her name keeps coming up every where I turn..Miss Janet, we stayed with Miss Janet, everyone would stay with Miss Janet if they could etc etc etc.

I don't think there is a hostel on the trail as well known. I wonder if she cooks or bakes for hikers? hmmmm

So I need to ask.. who is this Miss Janet? Why such a wonderful reputation so far and wide?

Is her place a "must stop" on my northward trek? (if Miss Janet is reading this of course she will say it is, but what do you think)?

What makes her place different from any other hostel? and on subject..where exactly is Miss Janet's? is it on or very near the trail? any shuttle service?

I am hoping for unbiased feed back if that is possible..if not..well ok to go ahead and be biased http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif

David

orangebug
12-08-2005, 23:10
It will be impossible to get unbiased feedback on her. Too many of us have stayed with her and enjoyed her company, knowledge, shuttles and breakfast. She has a little semi-Victorian house on Oak street, across from the Methodist church and not far from the Sonic drive-in. Her place is actually a pretty good ways from the AT, but rides are easy to get as Erwin's reputation as a hiker-unfriendly town has died.

She has long been involved in hostel work, but opened her own establishment about 5 years ago. There have been some rough times for her, chiefly involving anger at her competition when hikers began walking past an older establishment very close to the trail.

Her place is very friendly, open and clean. She has made a number of improvements over the years, especially this past one. She will close for the season soon, and has plans for further repairs and improvment. Nothing really slows her down, as witnessed by the island she built in the middle of her kitchen just before T-Day.

Yet, there are many well known and respected hostels in the area. I suspect that Kincora is the only other that is as broadly known as Miss Janet's - at least in the Southern Appalachians. The Blueberry Patch is up there, also. Ron Havens, of Franklin, NC, is building a good reputation, also. Or should we call that "trail cred?" It is a real shame that Bill Bryson quit his hike without meeting these folks.

tiamalle
12-08-2005, 23:29
It will be impossible to get unbiased feedback on her. Too many of us have stayed with her and enjoyed her company, knowledge, shuttles and breakfast. She has a little semi-Victorian house on Oak street, across from the Methodist church and not far from the Sonic drive-in. Her place is actually a pretty good ways from the AT, but rides are easy to get as Erwin's reputation as a hiker-unfriendly town has died.

She has long been involved in hostel work, but opened her own establishment about 5 years ago. There have been some rough times for her, chiefly involving anger at her competition when hikers began walking past an older establishment very close to the trail.

Her place is very friendly, open and clean. She has made a number of improvements over the years, especially this past one. She will close for the season soon, and has plans for further repairs and improvment. Nothing really slows her down, as witnessed by the island she built in the middle of her kitchen just before T-Day.

Yet, there are many well known and respected hostels in the area. I suspect that Kincora is the only other that is as broadly known as Miss Janet's - at least in the Southern Appalachians. The Blueberry Patch is up there, also. Ron Havens, of Franklin, NC, is building a good reputation, also. Or should we call that "trail cred?" It is a real shame that Bill Bryson quit his hike without meeting these folks.thanks Orange Bug,I have met Miss Janet a few times and hundres of my friends and fellow hikers have stayed there and used her services,100% satisfaction,Ron

hungryhowie
12-09-2005, 02:51
first time: I was sick. She put me on the BRAT diet and helped me get over the stomach flu.
second time: My Girlfriend's feet were tornup. Ms. Janet lent us her own boots.

Thanks Miss Janet. You rock.

-Howie

Sly
12-09-2005, 10:08
Without visiting yourself, perhaps, your question is best answered in the photos, faces and smiles of the hikers that have visited...

http://www.missjanetshouse.com/

One Leg
12-09-2005, 10:15
David:

Janet Hensley, AKA "Miss Janet" isn't a person, a hostel, or anything. It's an experience that restores faith in mankind.

You hear about folk who claim to love the trail, love hikers, and want to help both. But most folks are full of hot air. Miss Janet puts feet to her words, and carries out on a daily basis what she holds near in her heart. Outside of Bob Peoples, I daresay you'd find a more dedicated person than Miss Janet. (We're speaking of the southern portion here. Even in the northern parts, people like her are few & far between.)

For many, she's the Mother Theresa of the A.T. To me, she's simply my friend.

1 Corinthians 13:4-5 is Miss Janet personafied.

-Scott

veteran
12-09-2005, 11:04
http://www.trailcommunity.com/trailjournals/photos/trailgallery/1089/4%2D9missjanetshouse.jpg

restless
12-09-2005, 11:45
The last thing I am is unbiased when it comes to Miss J's. I echo all the previous comments but would also like to throw in my two cents worth. By the time most hikers get to Erwin, they are pretty much trail hardened. But some of them need to replace gear, repair their bodies, and rest for a bit and relax. Miss J provides all these services and more. She is not ashamed to say that she isn't a hiker but she has a good grip on the needs aqnd problems thru hikers face. One of the biggest things I see her do on a regular basis is to get hikers frame of mind straight. A lot of hikers are doing 20-30 mile days by the time they arrive in Erwin and Janet will try to encourage them to slow down and enjoy the journey. She offers a lot of practical advice to hikers and some heed her advice, some don't. Miss Janet keeps up with her alumni as much as possible and they are always welcome back. She does cook breakfast and occasionnally a dinner and her breakfast round table discussions are always a highlight for hikers before they hike out. She has also organized an annual AT summit for business owners and sevice providers in the Erwin area. Her passion for hikers and the trail itself has helped Erwin to become more of a hiker friendly town.
Miss Janet, unforunately offers all this help to hikers often at her own expense. Hikers come in to Erwin looking for shuttles, work for stay and a place to sleep. There are some predatory hikers out there who take advantage of her services and then leave without paying or lifting a finger to help out. Work for stay is not something that she can offer to every hiker. But there are hikers that feel that work for stay is a God given right. If hikers come in after 3-4 weeks on the trail looking for WFS, don't expect it. If money is a problem that early in the hike GO HOME. Miss Janet, Bob Peoples, Rusty and other hostel providers are not obligated to support a persons hike. If there is a legimate need, Miss J will make WFS available, but not toevery hiker that comes through. Likewise, she has offered shuttles in the past on a donation basis and it hasn't worked because, once again there are hikers that take advantage of a great situation. So if you drop by Miss Janets and need a shuttle, put gas in the van. It's that simple. Her van doesn't run on good vibes and kindness.
There are other places to stay in Erwin and most of them are fine establishments. But none offer the down home warmth and southern hospitality that Miss Janet and Erwin is known for.

Mouse
12-09-2005, 12:41
I LOVED my stay at Miss Janet's! I could go on and on and on, from the soft comfy feel of my fresh-laundered clothes to the family style meals on the long table in the back yard. She does things right! :jump

Brock
12-09-2005, 15:20
I can't say enough good things about Miss J's place, and most you have already read.
But, I do have to show you the opposite side to Miss J's place:

You cannot openly drink beer except inside her house and in her backyard.
You cannot swear.
These are because her neighbors are so close and she is trying to keep the peace.
She also has 2 daughters that live with her and are around frequently. They command the upstairs of her house.
She has 2 bedrooms with a total of 5 bunk beds which can sleep a total of 11 people. If more than 11 people are there, you sleep on the floor or front porch, and you still have to pay.
She does not let you tent in her back yard.
Her place is so far off the trail, it is hard to get in and out of Erwin quick if you stay there. Usually she shuttles you back to the trail and if it is busy season, you may be in the 2nd or 3rd car.

God, I hate saying bad things, but I feel we should tell the whole story. Those were all the negative things about staying at her place, which is really a small price to pay.

I stayed at her place for about 10 days total. She shuttled us up from Hot Springs to Damascus for Trail Days and back again for a very cheap fee.
I was tired of all the people and stayed in the Holiday Inn one time while I was there. I got sick that night along with 8 others. We all recupriated at Miss Js for a few days with her nursing us. Thanks a lot.
We all ate breakfast in her backyard at a huge table. Sometimes 20 of us were there and she forced us to all tell stories. It was nice.
Joker often comes around and tells, uh, jokes. He really should stay on his meds.
She will tell you the story of how Erwin became the only city in the world to prosecute an elephant and sentance it to death.
You have to watch Baltimore Jacks Bruce Springsteen videos.
She offers slack pack shuttles.

If I were to go back to Erwin and wanted to spend a zero there, I would go to Miss Js. But if I was just interested in a quick in and out, there are closer places.

Oh yeah, I forgot... the methodist church across the street has pot luck dinners that they invite Miss. Js guests for a free dinner. That was awesome.

bfitz
12-09-2005, 16:47
Janet Hensley, AKA "Miss Janet" isn't a person, a hostel, or anything. It's an experience that restores faith in mankind...........For many, she's the Mother Theresa of the A.T. To me, she's simply my friend.

1 Corinthians 13:4-5 is Miss Janet personafied.
Some concepts have places associated with them...like the summer of love and Haight/Ashbury for instance, a place where the spirit of the concept vibrates powerfully, attracts seekers like moths...that spirit is usually anchored there by a person or people who are powerfully connected to it and to people in general (say.... in a maternal way, for instance) unpretentiously, just being one of us, just another misfit monkey hurtling through space, they can sometimes be like a conduit between it and us (like during breakfast spreading trail "lore"). Its one of those places, she's one of those people. Her vibes reverberate up and down the trail....and the trail days crowd all cheer as she makes her grand entrance, just watch....
She even lets ol' restless hang out there as much as he wants!
And she can make a stove out of a beer can faster than you!

Jack Tarlin
12-09-2005, 18:42
Jeez, David, I wish you asked me this at Trashgiving.....me, Blister, Jester, and anyone else there could have told you around ninety Janet stories and we still would have forgot some of the best ones.

Janet's been helping out hikers in Erwin for years, first, on a very informal basis (picking up hitch-hikers, etc.) She briefly worked as a shuttler for another hiker establishment, but soon after this, she decided to open up her own place. With her family's encouragement, she made the remarkable decision to turn her own home in the center of Erwin into a hiker hostel, with the whole downstairs essentially devoted to hikers. And not just thru-hikers....sectioners, weekenders, everyone's welcome at Janet's. In a few short years, her hospitality has become legendary, and this is one of the best-known, and best loved hiker facilities on the entire Trail.

Direct answers to your questions:

1. Yes, she cooks for hikers. A wonderful breakfast is included with your stay, and she's a great cook. Sometimes, (like when I'm there), the hikers present will get together and have a communal dinner, cookout, or other meal as well.

2. Yes, she offers shuttles.....as part of your stay, she'll take you on short-distance town errands (supermarket, etc). as well as getting you a ride back to the Trail. Other longer distance shuttles (to the Outfitter in nearby Johnson City, or a slackpack) are available on request at very reasonable rates. Note: Janet's daily gas costs are ridiculous and her van will need major work or replacement soon. Hikers that get rides from Janet should, WITHOUT EXCEPTION, make a gas donation, and should make sure their friends do likewise, even if it's only a few dollars for a short ride. Every little bit helps. Even if you think your stay "entitles" you to free town shuttles, pitch in. Vans don't run on air.

3. Yes, she's near the Trail, in the center of Erwin, which is a very easy hitch from the Trailhead. You won't have to worry about getting back to the Trail as she'll drive you there.

4. Is it a must stop? No, it isn't. You can certaily choose to skip Miss Janets, if you're no fun; have no personality; and have no wish to enjoy one of the friendliest and most unique places on the whole Trail. There's no such thing as a "must stop" on the Trail but you'd be crazy not to stay here.

Burn
12-09-2005, 19:49
I stopped for all of the above and more....3 or 4 timez....but even when i worked for stay, i paid full donations, cause yes, many more hurt hikers are taken care of or pointed in the right direction than need to be...oh, and Jack....#5, some serious trail magic happens thru Miss Janet's that is impossible to accomplish without her loving support....folks just flock there, and may feed or shuttle you cause Janet is so busy with hikers, more than likely someone else does the side work for her.

This year while i was hiking, i called for a shuttle and Janet says, so-n-so is gonna be coming from damascus, do you mind if they pick you up....sure Janet....20 mins later, circuit rider and friends drop by, we are at janet's within 45 mins. Janet wasn't there for me to thank her, but a lot of folks have found, a little karma from Janet has made more than a many a hike...day, section, or thru.

Miss Janet
12-09-2005, 23:45
Hi Brock! Thanks for your post. You gave me a way to address several very important things. I know you were trying to show that things are not always so "rosey" around here and you are right... Sometimes it is a little chaotic!! ...but I don't remember any complaints from you when you were here???

First of all,there is open container law in Erwin and in Tennessee, which of course is the BUCKLE of the bible belt. That law and good common sense is why you are not allowed to drink in my front yard or on my front porch. Do you drink in your Mom's front yard in your own neighborhood??

No, you should not swear here. It makes you sound cheap and uneducated and besides... you should always mind your manners!! I need to buy some more Dr. Bronners... it comes in handy for you nasty mouthed hoodlums! What would your Mom say??

Yes, I have 5 bunk bed units... 8 singles and 2 doubles... bed space for 12. And, yes, there are often a few extra bodies around... and yes, if you are silly enough to want to stay here when I am full, when there are well over 300other hotel beds available in Erwin... then YES, you should pay to sleep on my couch!! Or maybe I should charge those extra hikers double??

"She does not let you tent in her back yard." I am inside the city limits and I am not allowed to let hikers tent in my yard. I jave a nice back yard and I would not mind at all but... it is just one of those rules.

"Her place is so far off the trail, it is hard to get in and out of Erwin quick if you stay there."

This is true. If you are on a speed hike of the AT then please pass me up!.
I am almost 4 miles from the trailhead closest to town. If you do not need to buy any groceries, you do not want to go to a restaurant or you do not need the post office, etc... then you may be happy to stay on the trail or at the trailhead. There is a perfectly fine hostel there. If you stay here at my house... you may have to be patient for your ride back to the trail... or you might have to "gulp", HITCH! Get used to it. The hostels in many towns on the AT are much farther from the trailhead than I am. Pearisburg, Waynesboro and Palmerton all come to mind. But most of them do not have the Post Office, Sonic, the Burrito, the Elms,a movie theatre and a major grocery all with in a few blocks!!

But David, I wish I could answer your question about WHY everyone wants to come here to stay. It is really silly and sometimes just a lot of work... but it is almost always just incredibly AWESOME!! Some people just don't get it. I am blessed to have all of you in my home and at my breakfast table. Sometimes the most amazing magic happens when you least expect it!! Thanks to all of you who "get it"! Love ya!

I know Brock was trying to make a point... but if he was so unhappy when he was here for 10 days... he should have got a free ride from me to any of the hotels in the area... and then stayed there when he got sick!

orangebug
12-09-2005, 23:55
Brock was simply trying to stop the gushing testimonials and make something that sounded like an "unbiased" appraisal of your fair abode. He lets readers know that this ain't "Alice's Restaurant" and that you have some rules/etiquette. Pretty much every hostel (at least the ones that stay open) have similar rules or more of the same.

I doubt anyone would avoid Miss Janet's for those few rules, especially when you care 10 days for ill hikers.

Nean
12-10-2005, 00:02
Sounds like you could give Brock a million dollars and he would point out that some of the bills are turned backwards. Good Grief :datz

DavidNH
12-10-2005, 00:24
WOW..

I am gonna track down Miss Janet when I am hiking through this Spring and try to stay there..sounds like a must stay to me.. (yes I know there is no such things as a must stay..but there are surely those not to be missed spots!). Jack sorry... I didnt ask it all at trashgiving..but that occassion was the inspiration for my post here. No way am I speed hiking the trail..I wanna enjoy every aspect I can!!

Miss Janet.. Surely sounds like this must be something you do as an act of love...and surely doesnt get you rich! are your rates comperable to average hostels along the trail? I would assume most would not shuttle folks around like you do!

Hmmm...the buckle of the bible belt. This might be interesting. It will be the first time ever for this native new Englander to be traveling through the south..save for Florida which is not really southern anyway (Hola!). Some one at trashgiving was mentioning some friend who would hike north up to the mason dixon line and not go further. Odd. I am not that sort of person. No cultural or national border will stop me from hiking where there is good hiking to be found!! And to hike the AT end to end one must relate to boths sides! perhaps the AT might serve as a cultural bridge??

DavidNH

smokymtnsteve
12-10-2005, 00:37
doesn't our friend actually take a couple steps over the mason-dixson line for "personal reasons" :-?

Skeemer
12-10-2005, 08:04
I can tell you about another hostel that was a "must stay" that everyone loved. It was in the countryside, far from town where no one worried about the law.

Unfortunately, the host, in an effort to please his guests, did not enforce any rules (if he had any to begin with.)...drinking and partying by everyone until the wee hours of the morning. The inevitable took place...a tragic event and it was downhill from there.

Both hosts loved their hikers, one is just a lot smarter than the other.

BTW, IMHO, for what you get, the requested donation is a bargain by any standard.

general
12-10-2005, 10:17
No, you should not swear here. It makes you sound cheap and uneducated and besides... you should always mind your manners!! I need to buy some more Dr. Bronners... it comes in handy for you nasty mouthed hoodlums! What would your Mom say??

Love you Miss Janet. i know i'm subject to the potty mouth, especially when drinkin', but i came up with an idea. Would one drop of Dr. Bronners in each beer a perminant cure for hoodlum's disease?

Jaybird
12-10-2005, 10:53
Her name keeps coming up every where I turn..Miss Janet, we stayed with Miss Janet, everyone would stay with Miss Janet if they could etc etc etc.I don't think there is a hostel on the trail as well known. I wonder if she cooks or bakes for hikers? hmmmm
So I need to ask.. who is this Miss Janet? Why such a wonderful reputation so far and wide?.....etc,etc,etc,...........................D avid

Yo DavidNH

MISS JANET HENSLEY is a "REAL" person...one of the kindest people you'll ever meet. She knows the trail & trail people...thats why she knows what they "NEED".

She operates (as you've already heard) one of the best & probably one of the best known hostels close to the A.T.

She does provide shuttles (donations, please) & help with just about anything else...from directions, to laundry, to Internet access...&

one of the best breakfasts you'll ever eat while out on the trail (darn, i missed it...but had a breakfast pizza to go!)

www.missjanetshouse.com (http://www.missjanetshouse.com)

In other words...as you can tell from these previous posts....you have to "EXPERIENCE the EXPERIENCE".

good luck with your hike!:D

hopefulhiker
12-10-2005, 11:00
Miss Janet does cook and bake for hikers! When I was there she fixed up a huge thing of lasagna for breakfast! There were about 15 people there. Tapeworm, Phoenix, Pirate, Feather and Sugaree, Rigortortoise and others. It was glorious! Hikers and other Trail angels gravitate towards her place. Circuit Rider and Phoenix both shuttled hikers around town when I was there. Pirate was there taking videos. She has three computers there with high speed connections. Miss Janet's is one of the subcultural centers of the whole AT. She put Erwin on the map.She is truely one of the legends of the trail.

Mouse
12-10-2005, 11:26
Miss Janet's is one of the subcultural centers of the whole AT. She put Erwin on the map.She is truely one of the legends of the trail.

I think that captures it very nicely. :)

lobster
12-10-2005, 15:07
Miss Janet,

Wow, did you read the last of what Brock wrote? He might not have understood why certain things are the way they are, but he certainly gave you kudos later in his post.

As someone else wrote, things were getting a little gushy. I think he wanted to point out things that might cause "certain" hikers to think twice about staying there. Some folks just have loose tongues and act in a more "redneck" way and might feel too restrained in that environment.

Since you housed him for 10 days, he could have started out with appreciation first and then eased into the rules he didn't necessarily enjoy.

All in all, I think you reacted from your heart instead of your head when you responded and this reaction of yours could very easily give off a negative impression.

Nean
12-11-2005, 03:36
Miss Janets "rules" are nothing more than the LAW, common sense and respect. Unfortunatly there are those few, who instead, EXPECT. Sorry Lobster, but those who saw Miss Janets reply as a reaction that could easily inspire a negative impression should probably stay down the road. Believe me when I say, They will not be missed.
I will admit that sometimes you can hear about a place so much that you will imagine it to be something it never was, but take it from an ol' hiker that has stayed a place or 2; Miss J is the real deal

Brock
12-20-2005, 12:48
Brock was simply trying to stop the gushing testimonials and make something that sounded like an "unbiased" appraisal of your fair abode. He lets readers know that this ain't "Alice's Restaurant" and that you have some rules/etiquette. Pretty much every hostel (at least the ones that stay open) have similar rules or more of the same.

I doubt anyone would avoid Miss Janet's for those few rules, especially when you care 10 days for ill hikers.

Thanks for sticking up for me.

Miss Janet, I'm sorry if you misinterpreted my post. I was just trying to give an unbiased view of your place. I really enjoyed your place and I was just trying to be fair. I did appreciate everything you did for me and all the other hikers.

And yes, if someone gave me $1 million dollars, I'd still find something to comment on, its just my nature. I'm a devils advocate that can see both sides to any story.

docllamacoy
12-22-2005, 14:30
Miss Janet is the best!! You can't skip staying there.

frieden
12-22-2005, 20:25
Brock DID start out with appreciation:

"I can't say enough good things about Miss J's place, and most you have already read."

Goodness sakes! I've never seen a more "touchy" group, finding any excuse to argue, than here.

Miss Janet, did Brock lie about anything? Is there a reason you don't want those points brought out to future hikers? I would think you would welcome that, so that someone who wants to party all night won't stop there. That was my first thought that this would be a great place, because it sounded like a safe atmosphere. I don't know how you would think Brock was unhappy with the experience.

I don't know about anybody else, but I don't have the luxury of nothing but fuzzy reviews. Miss Janet's is great? Wonderful! Now, give me all the details. "Rules" may sound bad to some people, but not if they create the atmosphere you want! His review made me want to stay there.

Miss Janet,

Wow, did you read the last of what Brock wrote? He might not have understood why certain things are the way they are, but he certainly gave you kudos later in his post.

As someone else wrote, things were getting a little gushy. I think he wanted to point out things that might cause "certain" hikers to think twice about staying there. Some folks just have loose tongues and act in a more "redneck" way and might feel too restrained in that environment.

Since you housed him for 10 days, he could have started out with appreciation first and then eased into the rules he didn't necessarily enjoy.

All in all, I think you reacted from your heart instead of your head when you responded and this reaction of yours could very easily give off a negative impression.

Jack Tarlin
12-22-2005, 20:57
No. Frieden, he didn't lie about anything, and Janet certainly isn't hiding anything.

And while I understand Brock's position, his original post was indelicate, to say the least, especially coming frpm someone who'd stayed there ten days.

Among his complaints, what he viewed as "bad things" were these.

*You can't swear there. Well, yup. Janet doesn't appreciate it, she's
got kids in the house, neighbors on both sides, and a church across the
street. Not being able to openly curse there doesn't seem like that much
of an imposition.

*You can't drink out front. That's right.....cuz it's illegal, plus it looks bad.
She's in a residential neighborhood. You can drink in the house or out
back assuming you're 21 and are reasonably responsible. Oh, and you can
drink on her porch if you use a Nalgene or glass. So what the hell is
Brock complaining about?

*You can't tent in her yard. Once again, this is a town ruling and not hers.
Deal with it.

*Brock mentions that Miss Janet's daughters are around frequently and
"command the upstairs of her house". Well, the upstairs is off-limits for non-
family members, so it seems to me it's OK for the residents to "command"
this one small part of the house. It is, after all, their house. And Brock thinks that it's a bad thing that Janet's kids are around frequently? Note to Brock: This is their house, and you're a guest. Got it? In that it's their house, and is where THEY happen to live, I guess it's OK if they're around frequently, capeesh? Got a problem with this? I'm sure her kids, who are great, will happily direct you to the front door.

*It is absolutely NOT difficult to hitch in and out of Erwin, which has become a very hiker-friendly place. And getting back to the Trailhead is a snap as Janet shuttles people out there around five times a day.

Frieden, if you've any other questions I urge you to contact Janet herself, who'd be happy to answer or address any of your questions. I'm sure she'd be happy to have you as a guest, assuming you don't want to tent out back, drink out front, use filthy speech, or object to the fact that she enjoys living with her kids.

In short, people that are looking for things that are wrong with this place have to look pretty hard, but of course, there are always other options.....there are plenty of fine places to stay in Erwin.

Nean
12-22-2005, 22:32
Well put Jack.
There is a difference between being fair/ honest and negative/ nasty.
And yes Broke, I believe you would find something to complain about if given a million dollars. Kinda says it all.....:rolleyes:
And you're right Frieden, people will jump if someone wants to paint common sense/courtesy as a negative at Miss Janets. Nobodys forming a lynch mob, just playing devils advocate w/ Brock;)

swift
12-22-2005, 22:34
It can be difficult to hike out of Erwin, as I found out this year. I started out of Miss janet's at 7 am thumb out the whole way and.. well I walked past the trail, got lost, etc. It could have been me, could have been the day, could have been bad luck but 2 hours on the asphalt, thumb out.

Miss Janet
12-22-2005, 22:37
NOW BOYS!! Stop it!

Everytime I go away for a few days and come back I find you all just bickering away!

Brock... I really wasn't upset with you. I even said that you gave me the chance to make a few points about my place and some of my rules. I enjoyed you being here and I hope you come back to visit. You were not wrong to point out that it is sometimes so busy here that it can be uncomfortable for some people. It is just that I have spent so many years defending what I do here that I get a little protective.

And as, always, I appreciate all of you coming to MY defense. It amazes me how supportive you all can be. I love you all. Now go wrap a Christmas present or something.

Miss Janet
12-22-2005, 22:45
It can be difficult to hike out of Erwin, as I found out this year. I started out of Miss janet's at 7 am thumb out the whole way and.. well I walked past the trail, got lost, etc. It could have been me, could have been the day, could have been bad luck but 2 hours on the asphalt, thumb out.

Breakfast is a very important part of what I do. I know that every now and then someone thinks they just HAVE to get in a few miles before 10 am... but taking the time for our sitdown breakfast has never kept anyone from making it to Maine.

But now I have a DREADFUL story to tell about the hiker that skipped my breakfast and thumbed for HOURS, in the rain, uphill, all day and was so SORRY he missed breakfast!!!

swift
12-22-2005, 23:50
WAHHHH! love you janet!

txulrich
12-23-2005, 09:55
NOW BOYS!! Stop it!

Everytime I go away for a few days and come back I find you all just bickering away!

Brock... I really wasn't upset with you. I even said that you gave me the chance to make a few points about my place and some of my rules. I enjoyed you being here and I hope you come back to visit. You were not wrong to point out that it is sometimes so busy here that it can be uncomfortable for some people. It is just that I have spent so many years defending what I do here that I get a little protective.

And as, always, I appreciate all of you coming to MY defense. It amazes me how supportive you all can be. I love you all. Now go wrap a Christmas present or something.

I love it. :D From this post alone, when I come by Erwin, I've got to stop and meet this woman.

Youngblood
12-23-2005, 09:56
I didn't see anything negative about Brock's post. It was very positive, he just included some things he thought was relative to staying there that others had overlooked. I know Miss Janet but have never stayed there so it helped me understand what a stay there was like, Brock just pointed out some of the rules and the 'lay of the land'. I think it is important to point out the drinking rules, that this is the home of young girls, that it is in town with certain rules pertaining to the town, etc.

I think some of you have beat up Brock for something he didn't do.

Nean
12-23-2005, 11:20
God, I hate saying bad things, but I feel we should tell the whole story. Those were all the negative things about staying at her place, which is really a small price to pay.

Brock informed us himself he was saying negative/ bad things. Some of us feel he could of been just as fair/ informative and a lot less negative. If pointing that out ("playing devils advocate") is beating poor ol Brock up then I think we have a double standard.:-?
I'm amused w/ Brock, not mad. I think he has a great career as a critic in his future. Backpacker magazine could probably use his services!:)
Just curious Brock, what did you end up paying for taking full advantage of Miss Janets hospitality? Whole story indeed.:rolleyes:

MOWGLI
12-23-2005, 11:35
Miss Janet blurs the lines between a trail business and a trail angel. That's part of the problem here. Folks should be able to speak candidly and honestly about any business along the trail. Miss Janet is such a good friend of so many hikers, any criticism of her hostel - justified or not - is going to elicit a quick & passionate response.

The fact that Brock spent 10 days there speaks volumes for Miss Janet's Hostel.

Merry Christmas Miss Janet.

Youngblood
12-23-2005, 12:10
Brock informed us himself he was saying negative/ bad things. Some of us feel he could of been just as fair/ informative and a lot less negative. If pointing that out ("playing devils advocate") is beating poor ol Brock up then I think we have a double standard.:-?
I'm amused w/ Brock, not mad. I think he has a great career as a critic in his future. Backpacker magazine could probably use his services!:)
Just curious Brock, what did you end up paying for taking full advantage of Miss Janets hospitality? Whole story indeed.:rolleyes:
Nean,

You and few others on here are taking things out of context to give it a different meaning... and very unfairly. I don't know Brock but this is what he said:

I can't say enough good things about Miss J's place, and most you have already read.
But, I do have to show you the opposite side to Miss J's place:

You cannot openly drink beer except inside her house and in her backyard.
You cannot swear.
These are because her neighbors are so close and she is trying to keep the peace.
She also has 2 daughters that live with her and are around frequently. They command the upstairs of her house.
She has 2 bedrooms with a total of 5 bunk beds which can sleep a total of 11 people. If more than 11 people are there, you sleep on the floor or front porch, and you still have to pay.
She does not let you tent in her back yard.
Her place is so far off the trail, it is hard to get in and out of Erwin quick if you stay there. Usually she shuttles you back to the trail and if it is busy season, you may be in the 2nd or 3rd car.

I stayed at her place for about 10 days total. She shuttled us up from Hot Springs to Damascus for Trail Days and back again for a very cheap fee.
I was tired of all the people and stayed in the Holiday Inn one time while I was there. I got sick that night along with 8 others. We all recupriated at Miss Js for a few days with her nursing us. Thanks a lot.
We all ate breakfast in her backyard at a huge table. Sometimes 20 of us were there and she forced us to all tell stories. It was nice.
Joker often comes around and tells, uh, jokes. He really should stay on his meds.
She will tell you the story of how Erwin became the only city in the world to prosecute an elephant and sentance it to death.
She offers slack pack shuttles.

If I were to go back to Erwin and wanted to spend a zero there, I would go to Miss Js. But if I was just interested in a quick in and out, there are closer places.

Oh yeah, I forgot... the methodist church across the street has pot luck dinners that they invite Miss. Js guests for a free dinner. That was awesome.
Sounds pretty postive to me, with a few rules thrown in for information purposes and basically describing the lay of land, so to speak. Now, if you wanted a place where you get sloppy drunk, curse like a sailor and act as disgusting and uncivilized as you please... then it might sound negative. Geez, he starts out with "I can't say enough good things about Miss J's place...", that should tell you how he feels about the place. The only thing negative or bad is that he chose those terms as a describe the rules and the lay of the land. Again, they didn't sound negative or bad to me or probably to anyone else. I think folks are too sensitive because of the previous history with another person and over reacted because Miss Janet was mentioned in the same post with words like 'negative' and 'bad'. Don't beat up Brock for something someone else did in the past.

Nean
12-23-2005, 12:49
My comments are not based on anything like that Yb; just Brocks comments. Its not so much what he said but how...and that is my point. Need an example? one of many: Brock "...she forced us to tell..." Nean: why not encourage or, persuade or, inspired us to tell...??? See what I'm saying? Disagreeing when Brock paints w/ a negative brush is not beating someone up. U give U git 'roundcheer;)
I'm still waiting for Brock to answer my last question in my last post:) then we'll see about a beating:rolleyes: :D

Burn
12-23-2005, 13:14
[QUOTE=Youngblood]Now, if you wanted a place where you get sloppy drunk, curse like a sailor and act as disgusting and uncivilized as you please... QUOTE]

oh, trail daze...great fun

lobster
12-23-2005, 15:03
What is the price of stay?

Is going to church required? Just kidding!

By the way, I don't drink, smoke, and seldom swear. Thus, none of her rules bother me in the least.

Also, the drinking rule seems pretty lenient actually! I'm sort of surprised drinking is allowed in the house and backyard.

Groucho
12-23-2005, 16:51

At least Mary got a trial in 1916. In 1903, Topsy was electrocuted in New York. They tried cyanide-laced carrots at first and then built a platform for hanging, but that was opposed by the SPCA. Edison stepped in with the equipment for electrocution, and that was the method that ended her life.
http://www.creativepreservation.org/media/nyt_topsy.htm

Forced to watch Springsteen videos? That is beyond the pale. I'd almost rather watch an episode of Charmed.:jump

Summer95
01-18-2006, 20:10
Staying at Miss Janet's house and having breakfast with her and the "extended family" is definitely on my list of "Top Ten". Right now it's in the number two slot. (Sorry Miss Janet, spending the night on Max Patch currently holds number one.) I'll be thru-hiking in 2007 and can't wait to meet Miss Janet and enjoy all the fellowship.

Twofiddy
02-22-2006, 11:35
Miss Janet,

I love you!!!:banana :banana :banana

fishinfred
02-22-2006, 13:15
I've had the pleasure of a stay at Miss Janets for 3 seasons in a row and NOBODY else does more or goes out of their way more than this #1 ANGEL of the AT does.If you are lucky enough to meet her (as she is ALWAYS running hikers too and fro) I think you too will agree that there's no kinder ,sweeter person out there that puts up with 'Hiker Stink'!
Love ya MissJ
Fishinfred
SEE YA SOON!

Nean
02-22-2006, 15:34
I agree w/ you FF 100%; and I found out there is good reason Brock never answered my Question. In my book he (his buddies and people like him) are the scum that give hikers a bad name. F-ing freeloader:mad: :mad: or is thief the "positive" term to discribe that kind?

trine
02-22-2006, 16:25
I am totally excited and on my way to hopefully spend a day at Miss Janets, even though I do not need a zero day - it is simply part of the journey.
To be given such an opportunity to visit all these great legends such as Miss Janet and Bob & Pat Peoples etc. is just a blessing and is part of what makes the Appalachian Trail so special.
I have a feeling already now that it is because of the people that I have met out here that this will be the trip of a lifetime - Thank you, all you people out there who do not let "bad" hikers deter you from offering all your services, humor, and advice.
Red Dane:)

fishinfred
02-22-2006, 17:15
All I can say is.... if anyones ever had a 'Negitive' Experience' at Miss Janets House it wasnt because of her.All my stays were good ones but you can tell who the loafers are ,and they don't last long as Miss J only takes so much when it comes to "Negitive Types "and sends em on their way ,right quick!
Always a few bad seeds in the best crops!
FF

Nokia
02-22-2006, 17:52
Last year we had a guy that was accused of stealing several times. One time in Hot Springs he even bragged about stealing from another person's pack. Well it all came to a head. She was excellent in her handling of the situation. She gave him a time to speak and all the other hikers had thier time. Then she drove him to the bus station and GAVE him money to get a bus. FF is right on again.
I honestly can say that Miss Janet was what kept me on trail past Erwin this year. Mentally at that time my life outside of the AT really sucked. She threatened to bust my cell phone so I couldn't call my problem. Then sat me down, listened and gave me great, thoughtful advice. She is a very intelligent, thoughtful person that will set you straight in a heart beat.
Thousands of us owe Miss Janet something from our hikes, even if only great gratitude and respect.

crutch
03-07-2006, 22:00
I won't say that Miss Janets is a must stay......I will say that I'm glad I stayed there last year and am looking forward to being there again in a few weeks. She is just one of those people and once you meet her you'll understand why everyone wants to go back again. You rock Janet......see you soon.

Crutch

Red Hat
03-08-2006, 16:04
Did everyone see the thread about Miss Janet is going to be a grandmother? Waiting to see what the little one will name her!

Brock
03-09-2006, 11:34
I agree w/ you FF 100%; and I found out there is good reason Brock never answered my Question. In my book he (his buddies and people like him) are the scum that give hikers a bad name. F-ing freeloader:mad: :mad: or is thief the "positive" term to discribe that kind?

Wow. I don't know how to reply to this.

Please don't spread a bad rep around for me. Talk to me directly if you have a problem with me. How am I a freeloader and scum? I paid my dues at Miss Janets house and everywhere else I stayed. And yes, I found them extremely fair if not downright cheap. Miss J, if you do have a problem with what I paid, please contact me and we can discuss this. I have no problem paying my way and never have. Hell, I was going to bring you a house warming gift when I returned to the trail this year. Now I fear I may have to change my name to avoid a bad rep spread for an unknown reason.

Nean, I've had no problem with you in the past. I've even spent some time at your home and respected your request to keep the location private and the pictures of it and yourself off the internet. (unless this is a different Nean).

As for all the comments about my original post, I was not trying to be mean, but I guess it came off that way to some people (others did understand it though). All I was trying to do is draw an accurate picture of the Miss J experience. Half of the comments I made were meant to be a joke and were taken WAY out of context. Yes, Miss J will "force" you to tell stories in the morning. Some people understood this as a knock against her. I think this is one of the best things about Miss J and staying at her place. By her "forcing" stories out of you at breakfast, it brings everyone together like no other hostel I stayed at (or shelter for that matter).

Anyways, I could defend my words, but I'll choose to let you believe what you want about me. I've learned a lesson via this thread and in the future I'll keep my comments to myself.

Miss Janet
03-11-2006, 00:17
You and I are fine... don't worry about this... it is old stuff. Come and see me.

LEGS
03-11-2006, 03:04
HEY GIRL, HAVEN'T SEEN YOU IN ABOUT A YEAR, BUT YA KNOWS I LOVES YA!!! TAKE CARE AND I'M COMIN TO SEE YA REAL SOON. i'MA WALKIN' WITH SPRING. !!!! BYE NOW

LEGS!\PS. WILLIE I SORRY BUT I LOVES HER TOO!!!

Twofiddy
03-14-2006, 14:03
Breakfast is a very important part of what I do. I know that every now and then someone thinks they just HAVE to get in a few miles before 10 am... but taking the time for our sitdown breakfast has never kept anyone from making it to Maine.

But now I have a DREADFUL story to tell about the hiker that skipped my breakfast and thumbed for HOURS, in the rain, uphill, all day and was so SORRY he missed breakfast!!!

I would have never made it to Maine without breakfast at Miss Janets House. Actually all three breakfasts at Janets House. 1 Zero Day, 1 Slack Pack Day, then back hiking again.