PDA

View Full Version : User friendly sawyer gravity system

krshome
12-07-2015, 13:58
Hi all, I love the sawyer filters but I hate squeezing those darn bags and gravity systems seemed heavy and bulky. I wanted a system that was simple. I wanted the filter to easily disconnect for freezing conditions and I wanted the bags to have a quick connect that sealed so I didn't need extra caps. Lastly back flushing I didn't want more parts (aka syringe or even a smart water sport cap) that added extra weight and bulk. I think I have a great set up as of now! The bags I use for dirty water are a 2 liter bag with my quick connect cap for solo trips and if I have two or more people I will use a Platypus 4 liter dirty bag. The gravity hose is silicone 3/16"id x 5/16"od tubing with a male connector on one end and a Sawyer male inline adapter on the other end. For controlling the flow I use a pinch clamp on the hose. I have been using a pre filter in the sawyer inline adapter from an old Frontier filter and it fits perfect (not needed though). The filter I use for short solo trips is a Sawyer Mini, but long distance hikes and group trips I swap out to a full size Sawyer Squeeze. The set up is meant for camp but while hiking I can still unscrew the filter from the hose and attach it to a bottle for on the go filtering. The weight for the Solo set up is 5.5 oz for a 2 liter system. I filter into any type of bottle but water bottles with matching threads allow me to back flush the Mini filter but the Sawyer Squeeze still needs the sports cap :(. For those that have not seen my Mini filter here is a quick breakdown. It is actually 2 Mini's that made into one. I carefully removed the dirty end cap off one and put it on another on the clean end. The point of this was to back flush and connecting to a bottle when filling. The nipple on the dirty end was also removed as to add the pre filter inline adapter and to disconnect it from the gravity system.
32889328903289132892328933289432895328963289732898 32899

squeezebox
12-07-2015, 14:30
On mine I use the larger filter. The input on the filter screws onto the dirty water bag, so that's okay. I did buy a sweetwater prefilter. I had to put about 2" of 1/4 plastic hose on each end. Went to Rei got 1/4 hose to thread adapters, Female on top, male on the bottom. Wt of that almost 2 oz. I really don't think I'll need that on the AT, but will bring it to the Ozarks. But the output of the filter is a problem . It's male thread so is the threads on the bladder. I took a couple of water bottle caps drilled a hole through the center of both. A little silicone before I bolted them together with a rustproof bolt, then a few extra holes for water, and the filter output screws onto the bladder. No need for any more gravity height than the dirty bag, filter, clean bag. You might get a 20cc syringe with the proper end on it, just maybe a 10cc.
Anyway that's what I did.