PDA

View Full Version : Patagonia hiking ideas

Black Viper
12-07-2015, 19:01
Lucky enough to be going to Patagonia in a couple of weeks and looking for specific recommendations for dayhikes, both short and long. Will be in the Lake District (Bariloche) and in Torres Del Paine. Would love to hear ideas from anyone who's been.

QiWiz
12-08-2015, 18:22
Did the "O" circuit last February in TDP. Beautiful scenery. Glacier Grey was magnificent; Torres were very unique rock formations, best appreciated early or late in the day. "W" portion of circuit was very popular and camps were busy. Very windy place. Hard to get there and back but worth the trouble.

Black Viper
12-09-2015, 14:10
Thanks for the info. Wish we had more time to do the O or W, but I'll "settle" for any hiking in the area.

Dogwood
12-09-2015, 14:35
FWIW, although I've never been to Bariloche Argentina, it is one of my number one anticipated spots to do hikes from in Argentina with most of my hikes designed as multi nights though. All my hiking friends that have gone to Bariloche relate nothing but great hiking and paddling experiences in this highly scenic area. I've been told it's easy to get to most THs with public transportation from town. Lots of refugios(huts) so doing a multi night from hut to hut without being highly burdened down with food and gear may factor into faster hiking times than typical under a full compliment of gear. I suggest you consider using the huts to your advantage rather than electing coming back to Bariloche each night after only day hikes.

Dogwood
12-09-2015, 14:56
FWIW, and you didn't say what your goals are for your visit to Patagonia, I know I would want to take in lots of sights and culture around town but also do LOTS of hiking/outdoor activities. I'd stay at cheap hostel for a night or two upon arriving in Bariloche wandering along the lakes, renting a scooter, paddling, gardens, architecture, museums, etc on day excursions and mix in several multi nights hiking trips into the ahigher elevation mountainous hike that also included scenic valleys.

rocketsocks
12-09-2015, 16:15
Lucky enough to be going to Patagonia in a couple of weeks and looking for specific recommendations for dayhikes, both short and long. Will be in the Lake District (Bariloche) and in Torres Del Paine. Would love to hear ideas from anyone who's been.dress appropriately if kayaking on cold waters.

Black Viper
12-09-2015, 20:41
Thanks for the thoughts on this, Dogwood. We are definitely doing a mix of activities and have it pretty well planned out where we'll be staying (some cheap, some not).