PDA

View Full Version : Don't try that at home!

rocketsocks
12-09-2015, 07:31
Vegetarian Chili

1 lb pinto beans
1 lb. black beans
1 bag frozen white corn nibs
2 Jalapeños
2 turnips
2 rutabagas
2 parsnips
6 small carrots
1 yellow onion
4 Roma tomatoes
1 small bulb of garlic
5 beef bullion cubes
chili powder

cube all root veggies into 1/2" pieces. Roast tomatoes, garlic, jelapenos, and onion. Process the rest like your making chili.

this stuff is damn good, damn good....until you decide to dehydrate some.

So now we get to the "don't try this at home" part. Woke this morning to the whole house smelling like the crack of a horses arse, it's really bad does not even begin to convey...I took the whole mess out to the porch stabbed it a dozen times looking for signs of life, then cussed it hard and stabbed it some more, came inside lit a pine scent Christmas candle, made some coffee and am scratching my head as to why this smelled so bad. Anyway, it's a no go for my likin' you've been warned. But again I ant say enough good things about it as a chili, pretty damn good and I'd make it again!

This is why we experiment folks.

rocketsocks
12-09-2015, 07:37
Oops, forgot the Cumin, and black pepper.

Kookork
12-09-2015, 08:16
do you add salt or the salt in the beans is enough?

rocketsocks
12-09-2015, 09:01
do you add salt or the salt in the beans is enough?been trying to cut down on salt myself, but there is sodium in the 5 bullion cubes, and it seemed to be enough for my taste. I also forgot to say add water, but I guess most would figure that out, it really is very tasty, and 1/5 of the price to make vs. beef top round or the like @ $6-7 dollars a pound.

WingedMonkey
12-09-2015, 09:04
2 turnips
2 rutabagas
2 parsnips

In chili???????? Mixed with beans?????

No wonder you crap in your pants.

:eek:

rocketsocks
12-09-2015, 09:05
Also you need a really huge pot for this or use 2 big pots that's what I did, lots of volume using all these roots, normal pot of chili just cut the root ingredient in half.

rocketsocks
12-09-2015, 09:06
In chili???????? Mixed with beans?????

No wonder you crap in your pants.

:eek:
I know right right, I'm tellin' monkey, even a ole sour head like you would like this, it's that damn good!

rocketsocks
12-09-2015, 09:09
Here's what it looks like with no pulse...

rocketsocks
12-09-2015, 09:11
I'm gonna bury later after it gasses out a bit, still freaking stinks so bad...So bad! Wooooo

Venchka
12-09-2015, 09:13
You would be flogged for trying to pass that mess off as chili in Texas.

Wayne

rocketsocks
12-09-2015, 09:20
You would be flogged for trying to pass that mess off as chili in Texas.

Wayne
I hear ya, I felt a little duped when my Mother invited us over for chili a couple years ago, alls I can say is try it, I was shocked just how tasty it was, so savory!

illabelle
12-09-2015, 10:11
I ain't never made chili from scratch, but if I was gonna, this looks like an interesting recipe.
A couple of notes:
For those of us who are vegetarian, the "beef bouillon cubes" need to be substituted with a vegetarian product.
As to the root vegetables, they look like a fantastic addition. And yes, I've lived in Texas, but not among the floggers. ;)

Gambit McCrae
12-09-2015, 10:52
Questions...
The raw roots and such, did you blanch them?

And is that metal tray?

Why did it turn white on top?

Im thinkin it the roots weren't blanched first they might have somewhat burned on the outside and soft in center still, which would make it smell bad, as well, I believe for dehydrating, taking a potato peeler and making shavings of these roots would be better then cubing, for dehydration purposes.

Kookork
12-09-2015, 12:30
been trying to cut down on salt myself, but there is sodium in the 5 bullion cubes, and it seemed to be enough for my taste. I also forgot to say add water, but I guess most would figure that out, it really is very tasty, and 1/5 of the price to make vs. beef top round or the like @ $6-7 dollars a pound.

My brother is one of the leading expert about Salt consumption around the world and because of respect for my brother ( and my body)I started to cut down my already low salt diet and now I can really say with low salt diet the foods taste better and I feel healthier.

sfdoc
12-09-2015, 14:52
Sorry, but I'm still laughing (for about an hour) of the wake-up shock rocketsocks experienced. However, the recipe looks good (not dehydrated).

bikebum1975
12-09-2015, 14:56
Sounds interesting for sure but damn this could be a deadly mix. Worse than real chili lol. Possible new meaning to slick trail step aside from the brown goo

good laughs to

rocketsocks
12-09-2015, 15:32
My brother is one of the leading expert about Salt consumption around the world and because of respect for my brother ( and my body)I started to cut down my already low salt diet and now I can really say with low salt diet the foods taste better and I feel healthier.good deal, I'm just starting to pay attention to this.

rocketsocks
12-09-2015, 15:33
The deed is done, it's burried and never to see the light of day again.

rocketsocks
12-09-2015, 15:39
Questions...
The raw roots and such, did you blanch them?

And is that metal tray?

Why did it turn white on top?

Im thinkin it the roots weren't blanched first they might have somewhat burned on the outside and soft in center still, which would make it smell bad, as well, I believe for dehydrating, taking a potato peeler and making shavings of these roots would be better then cubing, for dehydration purposes.no metal tray, food grade polyethylene. No blanching, but for the 1 1/2 hours it cooked in water, so yeah kinda. The stars of the show rudabagas, turnips, parsnips are all whitish roots veggies, so I'm thinking that's why it took on a whitefish apearance, I didn't roast those those ahead of time. I did purée some (see pics) of it to thicken without using flour in the end.

atraildreamer
12-09-2015, 17:04
Try degassing the beans before cooking them and drying the chili. Degassing eliminates the stuff in beans that causes you to...well you know...:rolleyes:. This may what is causing the smell as the chili dehydrates.

This site has a good method to use:

http://drmirkin.com/recipes/degas.html
(http://drmirkin.com/recipes/degas.html)
"How to De-Gas Beans

If you’re bothered by gas when you eat beans, try this cooking method.

Put the beans in a large pot and cover them with water. Bring them to a boil and take them off the heat. This breaks the capsules surrounding the beans and allows stachyose, verbascose and raffinose, the gas-causing sugars, to escape into the water. Stir about half a teaspoon of baking soda into the soaking water (to make it more alkaline) and let the beans soak overnight.

Drain the soaking water off the beans and rinse them several times. Add fresh water or bouillon (http://drmirkin.com/recipes/stock.html) and proceed with your recipe to cook the beans.

Canned beans should not be a problem since they are prepared using a method similar to this. I often use canned beans in my healthful recipes (http://drmirkin.com/healthful-recipes); the choice is yours.

If you are just starting to add beans to your healthful diet, start out gradually and build up the amount you eat over several weeks. You will gradually build up colonies of healthful bacteria that help to break down the gas-causing sugars that are new to you."

rocketsocks
12-09-2015, 18:27
Try degassing the beans before cooking them and drying the chili. Degassing eliminates the stuff in beans that causes you to...well you know...:rolleyes:. This may what is causing the smell as the chili dehydrates.

This site has a good method to use:

http://drmirkin.com/recipes/degas.html
(http://drmirkin.com/recipes/degas.html)
"How to De-Gas Beans

If you’re bothered by gas when you eat beans, try this cooking method.

Put the beans in a large pot and cover them with water. Bring them to a boil and take them off the heat. This breaks the capsules surrounding the beans and allows stachyose, verbascose and raffinose, the gas-causing sugars, to escape into the water. Stir about half a teaspoon of baking soda into the soaking water (to make it more alkaline) and let the beans soak overnight.

Drain the soaking water off the beans and rinse them several times. Add fresh water or bouillon (http://drmirkin.com/recipes/stock.html) and proceed with your recipe to cook the beans.

Canned beans should not be a problem since they are prepared using a method similar to this. I often use canned beans in my healthful recipes (http://drmirkin.com/healthful-recipes); the choice is yours.

If you are just starting to add beans to your healthful diet, start out gradually and build up the amount you eat over several weeks. You will gradually build up colonies of healthful bacteria that help to break down the gas-causing sugars that are new to you."i cook beans at least once a week. And have dehydrated them many many times before, it's kinda a staple of my stored good, never ever smelled like this before, I'm here ta tell it was gawd awful. Thanks for that link though, I certainly will read it, just not thinking it's the beans, had to be the purée roots.

rocketsocks
12-09-2015, 18:30
PS I don't mind break in' wind, been practicing "give my regards to Broadway" and am currently hung up on Harold square...butt I'll get it one day

RangerZ
12-09-2015, 19:49
Socks, walk behind a lot of horses, do you?

RangerZ
12-09-2015, 19:52
......... ...........

egilbe
12-09-2015, 20:16
Most of that stuff doesnt smell good by itself. Mixed together i would imagine it smells like the soul of death.

rocketsocks
12-10-2015, 03:39
Socks, walk behind a lot of horses, do you?

my sweethearts the mule in the mine
my buddy without rein or line
on the bumper I sit, and tobacco I spit
all over my sweethearts behind

rocketsocks
12-10-2015, 03:40
Most of that stuff doesnt smell good by itself. Mixed together i would imagine it smells like the soul of death.worse, way worse

rocketsocks
12-10-2015, 03:43
I'd rather check Pepe LePu's prostate parts than pass that gas in the house again.