PDA

View Full Version : Training Hikes

Lifersol
12-09-2015, 14:58
Hello all, I'm a Dayhiker converting to the Darkside (Backpacking), better cookies. I have been wearing my pack with full load on some recent day hikes, now, I know I'm outta shape (not too horribly) and currently smoke (quitting on the trail), but I think that I'm alright, I just did Morse Mountain in Maine (Morse Mountain is a 3.5 mile out and back trail that ends on a beach) it has some pretty steep parts to it (1 hr 14 min), and I've done a couple of overnights on the AT (Spaulding Mountain and Pleasant Pond Shelter area). And I seem to be in okay shape I think. I'm thinking about just wearing my pack fully loaded and keep doing day hikes and was wondering if that will be sufficient?

FarmerChef
12-09-2015, 15:01
Are you intending to go for long section hikes or attempt a thru hike? Day hikes are great but if you can string them into a section hike (even for only 2 or 3 days, say, a long weekend) that will build up your stamina even better. I you are preparing to attempt a thru hike, I highly recommend getting out for at least one shakedown hike (a section hike) of around a week to 10 days to test out your gear, your stamina, deal with changing weather conditions, especially the rain.

Traveler
12-09-2015, 15:26
Hello all, I'm a Dayhiker converting to the Darkside (Backpacking), better cookies. I have been wearing my pack with full load on some recent day hikes, now, I know I'm outta shape (not too horribly) and currently smoke (quitting on the trail), but I think that I'm alright, I just did Morse Mountain in Maine (Morse Mountain is a 3.5 mile out and back trail that ends on a beach) it has some pretty steep parts to it (1 hr 14 min), and I've done a couple of overnights on the AT (Spaulding Mountain and Pleasant Pond Shelter area). And I seem to be in okay shape I think. I'm thinking about just wearing my pack fully loaded and keep doing day hikes and was wondering if that will be sufficient?

FWIW, I think it a decent starting strategy for conditioning. I liked what FarmerChef said about evolving into three day outings to get a good workout and test equipment and clothing. They act as shake down hikes where you can identify the things you don't use much if at all. That shaves some weight and gives you a better idea of what works well (stove, tent, bag, etc) and what needs improvement.

Lifersol
12-09-2015, 15:27
I wish that I could, the weather here is pretty nuts, but with the holiday's and what not, I've been doing the day hikes then setting up and tearing down my gear at home. I've been planning a thru-hike seriously for the last few months, and dreaming of it since High School. I did a couple of over nights for a shake down and had to change my pack and tent.

FarmerChef
12-09-2015, 15:39
I wish that I could, the weather here is pretty nuts, but with the holiday's and what not, I've been doing the day hikes then setting up and tearing down my gear at home. I've been planning a thru-hike seriously for the last few months, and dreaming of it since High School. I did a couple of over nights for a shake down and had to change my pack and tent.

Then keep at those day hikes for some conditioning. If you can get out everyday and do some walking with your pack on, even if it's on pavement, or do some stair climbing with your pack on or do any other cardio exercise that will help. But when it comes to a thru the key is to do what you can prior to the hike (shakedowns are critical to getting your gear and system down) and then taking it SLOW at the beginning. If you do a thru you have months to get in shape and your body will adapt quickly, all other things being equal. The key then is to not overdo it and get injured in the beginning. The rest of the hike is mental. Good luck!

Lifersol
12-09-2015, 15:41
Thanks FarmerChef.

Hosh
12-09-2015, 16:12
Nothing like the real thing, as they say "he's not yet in football shape". If time and weather are a constraint, a stair mill is a great option for exercising the lower body. It can also be used with a loaded pack. This is the approach I did for a Grand Canyon rim to rim hike with steep inclines littered with hi step up sections.

If a stair mill, circular belt with steps, is not available, then a stair-master is a good substitute

egilbe
12-09-2015, 16:42
I started doing day hikes and slowly moved over to overnight and extended weekends and slowly did most of the AT in Maine. I went from almost puking climbing Bradbury Mountain in Pownal to climbing Katahdin in the rain. In four months. Meanwhile, I kept climbing the same mountain, Streaked Mountain, every chance i got and adding more weight to my pack. What was once an hour long death march has become a 25 minute stroll that i do in the dark to catch the sunrise. There are so many hiking trails in Maine that you could spend years here, hiking different trails. Have fun and Enjoy yourself!

Tennessee Viking
12-09-2015, 23:46
It all depends on what type of hiker you are. There are some people that boldly start with no hiking experience and start out slow. Usually they pick up the pace when exiting GA (Nobo).

Some people day hike on a regular basis usually with a loaded pack or lots of water.

Other people will do a 2-4 day hike on another trail to get their thru legs before the hike. Ex. Art Loeb, short sections of the MST, Foothills, or Mt Rogers area

shelb
12-10-2015, 00:01
Keep doing as much as you can on the A.T. with a fully loaded pack. Hit the stairstepper at the gym for the other times. This will maximize your chance of being successful on a Thur (not that others haven't done it.... just makes it that much more likely for you!)

dervari
12-11-2015, 01:10
I go to Stone Mountain two or three times a week with my fully loaded pack. Is a 1 mile trail with an elevation gain of almost 700 feet.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

BirdBrain
12-11-2015, 01:50

Just down the road from you buddy. Morse Mountain was named after a distant relative of mine. Fairly easy walk. To get a better test of your ability to walk any distance in Maine, I would do an overnight at Tumbledown Pond (not this time of year mind you, but possibly a good shakedown in the spring). Put 30lbs on your back and take in Little Jackson before heading down to the pond. The up to little Jackson will provide a glimpse of what some of the more aggressive sections will be like. The exposure at the top is an eye opener as well. That walk will better assess your readiness. It is close enough to the road that if things go south you can bail.

egilbe
12-11-2015, 09:42
That one section up little Jackson is amost straight up. That was a "*** were they thinking when they built this trail." Moment. Most of the trail is pretty nice hike, though. Gf and I lost the cairns and hit a sub peak with some weather equipment on it, then went back and found the correct trail.

Mt Blue would be a decent hike for this time of year, Bald mountain on the way to MT Blue is nice. Bald mountain in Little Concord Pond state Park is fairly easy. So is Bald mountain in Oquossic.

Lifersol
12-11-2015, 10:53
I've been up there before, last summer actually, it was a lot of fun. Not the easiest climb, but it wasn't insanely horrible. I had roughly 20lbs on my back and it slowed me down a bit.

Lifersol
12-11-2015, 10:54
Little Jackson

BirdBrain
12-11-2015, 12:56
I've been up there before, last summer actually, it was a lot of fun. Not the easiest climb, but it wasn't insanely horrible. I had roughly 20lbs on my back and it slowed me down a bit.

Okay. I was a bit concerned when you mentioned Morse Mountain. That is a walk in the park. Little Jackson is a better benchmark. Build up your cardio. Loose weight as needed. Do a shakedown with full pack. Test your gear. Gather tidbits from discussions. After that, a long walk is just a series of short walks.

Lifersol
12-11-2015, 16:45
Okay. I was a bit concerned when you mentioned Morse Mountain. That is a walk in the park. Little Jackson is a better benchmark. Build up your cardio. Loose weight as needed. Do a shakedown with full pack. Test your gear. Gather tidbits from discussions. After that, a long walk is just a series of short walks.

No worries man, Morse Mountain is a cakewalk. I have a better place than that, that I've been going to daily. I'll 32941attach some pic's.

Lifersol
12-11-2015, 16:46
32942 This one isn't bad either.