PDA

View Full Version : Packing a sleeping bag and a liner together.

JaketheFake
12-10-2015, 14:37
I am starting my hike in early April. I have on my list an REI Igneo Long 20 Degree Bag (33.5 oz) plus a Sea to Summit Reactor Liner (14.1 oz). Aside from the fact I can not get over the liner weighs that much, the following are my questions....

1. Are there any cons NOT packing the liner?
2. If I should pack the liner, is there anything wrong with stuffing the bag and the liner in ONE waterproof bag when hiking. It's not so much about weight here as it is about the realization that everyday this stuff gets packed and unpacked.

I also plan to carry a Sea to Summit inflatable pillow. Can this be stuffed in with the bag and liner without consequences?

PAFranklin
12-10-2015, 15:04
I don't see a problem with stuffing them in the same bag assuming they are dried (at least aired out) out prior to stuffing. If one got wet I'd keep em separated until the wet one dried out. I wouldn't leave the liner in the bag as I think the liner might make if harder to compress the bag.

JaketheFake
12-10-2015, 15:52
I don't see a problem with stuffing them in the same bag assuming they are dried (at least aired out) out prior to stuffing. If one got wet I'd keep em separated until the wet one dried out. I wouldn't leave the liner in the bag as I think the liner might make if harder to compress the bag.

thank you. I should have clarified that I would remove the liner from the bag. Good point.

colorado_rob
12-10-2015, 15:58
I personally think that with a 20 degree bad, a liner would be way overkill. If you insist on a liner (like to keep you bag cleaner, you won't need it for warmth), get a 5 ounce silk liner.

RangerZ
12-10-2015, 16:23
I keep my s2s pillow in the Little pocket of my sleeping bag. Pack it feet first so that the pillow is near the top when compressing. No problems so far.

Coffee
12-10-2015, 16:32
I don't see any reason not to store them together.

You could find a liner that is much lighter. I have the Sea to Summit Silk Traveler liner that I used in hostels in Europe this summer. I used it as a sheet to not have to sleep on mattresses/dirty sheets. When I tried to actually use it as a liner inside my sleeping bag it got hopelessly tangled up. But it is light at around 5 ounces I believe.

Whatever you do, don't use powdered laundry detergent to wash a silk liner. I learned the hard way. My liner is kind of rough now. Use woolite and line dry.

Lyle
12-10-2015, 16:57
I always use a silk liner (4-5 oz) I stuff them separately. The reason I always use a liner is to keep my good down bag much cleaner. Stuffing them together, clean bag stuffed with the much stinkier liner all day, seems to defeat my purpose in my mind. Other than that, no problem packing them together.

Just Bill
12-10-2015, 17:17
I am starting my hike in early April. I have on my list an REI Igneo Long 20 Degree Bag (33.5 oz) plus a Sea to Summit Reactor Liner (14.1 oz). Aside from the fact I can not get over the liner weighs that much, the following are my questions....

1. Are there any cons NOT packing the liner?
2. If I should pack the liner, is there anything wrong with stuffing the bag and the liner in ONE waterproof bag when hiking. It's not so much about weight here as it is about the realization that everyday this stuff gets packed and unpacked.

I also plan to carry a Sea to Summit inflatable pillow. Can this be stuffed in with the bag and liner without consequences?

While I rarely do this... I can't seem to avoid it. Apologies.

Is this a real question?

Also- 14 ounces of baselayer(s) (cap 1 bottom and cap 1 top for example) would do far more for you than a 14 oz. liner. And you could pack them wherever you like, or even wear them if that suits you and skip that whole pesky packing piccadillo.

Hosh
12-10-2015, 17:26
If you haven't purchased the sleeping bag yet, consider an EE quilt, http://www.enlightenedequipment.com/revelation/

Save yourself some money, some pack volume, 14 ounces and a whole lot of versatility over a range of temperatures

JaketheFake
12-10-2015, 17:50
While I rarely do this... I can't seem to avoid it. Apologies.

Is this a real question?

Also- 14 ounces of baselayer(s) (cap 1 bottom and cap 1 top for example) would do far more for you than a 14 oz. liner. And you could pack them wherever you like, or even wear them if that suits you and skip that whole pesky packing piccadillo.

I might take insult to your reply if you do not normally have good replies. I felt it somewhat of an obvious question but it smoked out some better information including your thoughts on base layers. Thank you for your input brother.

JaketheFake
12-10-2015, 18:05
If you haven't purchased the sleeping bag yet, consider an EE quilt, http://www.enlightenedequipment.com/revelation/

Save yourself some money, some pack volume, 14 ounces and a whole lot of versatility over a range of temperatures

see... Ask a stupid question and get some good info. Say I switch to this I save 14 ounces PLUS if I scuttle the liner I save an additional 14 ounces to reallocate to base layers. Very cool.

HeartFire
12-10-2015, 19:08
I always pack my liner(usually separate from my sleeping bag). I have a Cocoon polyester liner. When it's REALLY cold, I'm in the liner, in the bag, when it's pretty warm, I'm in the liner and pull the bag over me as needed. When it's HOT, I put my neoair inside the liner and sleep on top of it - I don't like sleeping directly on the plastic of the neoair.

nsherry61
12-10-2015, 19:10
see... Ask a stupid question and get some good info. Say I switch to this I save 14 ounces PLUS if I scuttle the liner I save an additional 14 ounces to reallocate to base layers. Very cool.

You won't be getting an EE quilt at 14 oz in a long that is warm down to 20*F. But, you can still get an EE quilt that is long and some bit lighter than an Igneo that is warm to 20*F. I quite like my Igneo bag and frankly, most often unzip it and use it like a quilt, but not always. I agree with scuttling the liner and using base layers instead.

Just Bill
12-10-2015, 19:13

Those parts of yer question were good...
It was the packing sleeping gear with sleeping gear, which of course all gets packed in your pack anyhow part that was a bit confounding. ;)

JaketheFake
12-10-2015, 19:20
You won't be getting an EE quilt at 14 oz in a long that is warm down to 20*F. But, you can still get an EE quilt that is long and some bit lighter than an Igneo that is warm to 20*F. I quite like my Igneo bag and frankly, most often unzip it and use it like a quilt, but not always. I agree with scuttling the liner and using base layers instead.

I agree I'm showing my Igneo bag to be 35.5 and a long and wide EE to be to be about 23 ounces which is 12.5 less ounces. That's an eye-opener. That is what I was referring to 14 ounces on my previous post (the delta between Igneo and EE). Plus if I Scotto the liner that's an additional 14 ounces.

JaketheFake
12-10-2015, 19:22
Those parts of yer question were good...
It was the packing sleeping gear with sleeping gear, which of course all gets packed in your pack anyhow part that was a bit confounding. ;)

ya gotta ask brother, ya gotta ask. :). Like I said this has created a lot of good things for me to think about.

LAZ
12-10-2015, 19:57
This is close to a question I've had. I've been looking at silk liners, mainly to keep my bag, actually an EE 20dg quilt cleaner and also for that better nights sleep, as I prefer the feel of silk against my skin. But I keep thinking, why not just get silk long underwear, save weight, and also have that layer for other use. Is there any reason this isn't as effective for the purpose, something I'm not thinking about? Also, on silk undies, if I do this I'd want a top that can be worn on its own if necessary and I've seen silk that is too sheer to be worn by a woman that way. Any info on silk that isn't so sheer?
And for what it's worth, I agree with the EE quilt recommendation. It is my favorite piece of gear so far. One really nice thing about EE is how you customize your bag. As a shorter person, a side sleeper, and someone who tosses around a lot before I fall asleep, I could order a shorter wider bag and get exactly the right fit. Their prices aare as good as you're going to get for down and a quality piece of equipment, and they also have a meter so you ccan see the price and weight change for each feature you add or remove. I could see the weight go down and price go up as I increased the down fill number, and decide that wider is worth it but the lighter weight was not worth breaking my budget. I wish all gear came with that sort of customization option.
I had it last month on a night that went down to just above freezing and I slept quite toasty (with a thermarest neoair pad),. It clearly would have been fine if it had been colder, and I woke up too hot in the morning. I guess the more experienced around here think this is obvious, but I really didn't quite believe something so light would keep me that warm until I experienced it. The ability to leave it open on one side also helps when you *are* too hot. One really nice thing about getting a quilt instead of a bag is you can also use it as a wrap while sitting around reading or whatever before you sleep, much more easily than a bag.

JaketheFake
12-10-2015, 20:19
This is close to a question I've had. I've been looking at silk liners, mainly to keep my bag, actually an EE 20dg quilt cleaner and also for that better nights sleep, as I prefer the feel of silk against my skin. But I keep thinking, why not just get silk long underwear, save weight, and also have that layer for other use. Is there any reason this isn't as effective for the purpose, something I'm not thinking about? Also, on silk undies, if I do this I'd want a top that can be worn on its own if necessary and I've seen silk that is too sheer to be worn by a woman that way. Any info on silk that isn't so sheer?
And for what it's worth, I agree with the EE quilt recommendation. It is my favorite piece of gear so far. One really nice thing about EE is how you customize your bag. As a shorter person, a side sleeper, and someone who tosses around a lot before I fall asleep, I could order a shorter wider bag and get exactly the right fit. Their prices aare as good as you're going to get for down and a quality piece of equipment, and they also have a meter so you ccan see the price and weight change for each feature you add or remove. I could see the weight go down and price go up as I increased the down fill number, and decide that wider is worth it but the lighter weight was not worth breaking my budget. I wish all gear came with that sort of customization option.
I had it last month on a night that went down to just above freezing and I slept quite toasty (with a thermarest neoair pad),. It clearly would have been fine if it had been colder, and I woke up too hot in the morning. I guess the more experienced around here think this is obvious, but I really didn't quite believe something so light would keep me that warm until I experienced it. The ability to leave it open on one side also helps when you *are* too hot. One really nice thing about getting a quilt instead of a bag is you can also use it as a wrap while sitting around reading or whatever before you sleep, much more easily than a bag.

As I said, one questions lead to something are greater significance. I spent some time on their page going through the different options. I am 6.2 and I was wondering if the XLong would be the best bet versus Long. The weight difference is not significant. EE's web site does recommend a base layer, so I think your silk base layer thoughts make sense.

Pastor Bryon
12-10-2015, 21:11
I use an EE quilt with a S2S liner and am very pleased with how it works. I use a silk liner in warm weather, and have the reactor for colder weather. I like the versatility the quilt brings. The EE can be cinched and snapped on the bottom and then with the straps going around pad (neoair) it is almost identical to having a bag.

I do pack them separately as part of the purpose of the liner is to keep my funk from invading the quilt.

johnnybgood
12-10-2015, 21:44
You may also take a look at Hammock Gear Burrow 20* Quilt . The long version is 19.8 oz. , standard being what I have comes in at a meager 17.1 oz. I pack a silk liner separately, basically for the purpose of having as an option. Generally I don't use it but also see the point others mentioned regarding funk control .

Hosh
12-10-2015, 22:55
I agree I'm showing my Igneo bag to be 35.5 and a long and wide EE to be to be about 23 ounces which is 12.5 less ounces. That's an eye-opener. That is what I was referring to 14 ounces on my previous post (the delta between Igneo and EE). Plus if I Scotto the liner that's an additional 14 ounces.

A long, wide EE quilt is much bigger than a comparable REI long mummy bag. Is is also a lot smaller pack size, EE = 7x12 REI = 8x17. I switched to quilts several years ago and near looked back. They are far more flexible than unzipping a sleeping bag.

saltysack
12-10-2015, 23:09
Ditch that liner...waste of weight...I recently sold the same one on eBay. I personally didn't feel any warmth gain from mine...plus I got tangled up too often...PITA...April a 20* bag should be plenty. I winter hike with a 15* with a good base layer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just Bill
12-11-2015, 11:09
The sea to summit liners are oh so tempting... But the reality is that the ratings should be cut in half.
I used to use them too, even advocate for them a bit as a nice thing to have to supplement a bag in spring and then replace it come summertime... but since using quilts more often the need for a "summer sheet" is gone, so it's utility as a (minor) supplement to a sleeping bag is lost.

If cleanliness is your concern- the lightest liner you can find will do the job.
If you're looking for warmth- you get much more versatility from a set of baselayers for the weight.
You can wear your baselayers if needed, not so for the liner, and functionally they perform the same task at night.

If you want a balance of both- the old wisdom of keeping a "sleep set" still works best.
You'll always have something dry to put on in an emergency as well.

Since playing more with the quilt stacking ideas raised by Enlightened Equipment; I'm beginning to like that as a very good solution for AT hikers too.
A 40-50* summer quilt at a pound, and a 20-30* quilt at a pound and a half can get you to 0-10* when used together for early starters.
Then you can send home the summer quilt after you clear the worst of the cold, then swap the 3 season for the summer quilt mid hike.
Come Maine Junction or when you choose, summer quilt can head home and 3 season can join you for the whites and maine.
This system can be had for under 3lbs and for about the cost of a higher end winter bag... saving a good $300-$500 from a typical gear up list.

Fer those with mattress stickiness or cleanliness concerns- a silk liner as described earlier is a good choice to add for little weight or bulk.