PDA

View Full Version : Newbie question

boudreaux76
12-10-2015, 23:28
So I started getting my hike plans in order for the first leg of my section hiking in 2016 (see other post in this section) and have run into a couple of questions I cannot find a definitive answer to (although I have lots of material arriving at my house over the next week or so).

When I am hiking (with the exception of certain national parks, etc.) what are the rules for setting up a tent off the trail? There are a few sections from Springer to Standing Indian that I cant make work in my time frame if I am going from shelter to shelter. I am hoping to be able to do it in 6-7 days (unless some of you who have actually traversed that section think that's impossible) and cant see to make a shelter to shelter work.

GoldenBear
12-11-2015, 00:36
> what are the rules for setting up a tent off the trail?

I regret to say that the most accurate answer is "it depends."

In some national forests you can set up a tent just about anywhere out of sight of the Trail (and even that "out of sight of" is loosely interpreted); in other national forests you shouldn't even THINK of setting up outside of designated areas. Same with state parks, private property, state game lands, trail corridors, state forests, etc. etc. etc.

The part of the A.T. you want to hike along is in the Chattohooche NF and the Nantahal NF.

Looking at these URLs
http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/conf/recreation/hiking/recarea/?recid=62815&actid=51
http://georgia-atclub.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=130&Itemid=708
http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/nfsnc/recreation/hiking/recarea/?recid=48808&actid=51

I could not find any PROHIBITION against camping anywhere on the Trail; but I also found no PERMISSION to do so.
So you may have to contact the rangers directly on this issue.

SkeeterPee
12-11-2015, 01:08
I am not familiar with that section but these 2 links can be helpful.

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/home/explore-the-trail/thru-hiking/camping

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/docs/default-document-library/at_fires_and_camping_rules_inventory_5_28_2014_web .pdf?sfvrsn=0

The last page is GA. It would imply you can camp as I read it.

chiefduffy
12-11-2015, 06:51
In the great majority of places on the AT, you can pretty much camp where/when you want. If not, you will know, it will be marked with a sign or you will have to register (Smokies, SNP, etc.)

Traveler
12-11-2015, 07:04
Either the AT Guide or the AWOL guide books will help you with some of those kinds of issues. For example, you cannot camp outside designated camping areas on the trail in CT and MA. The AT crosses a lot of private property and may have localized camping restrictions due to owner concerns or past history issues.

MuddyWaters
12-11-2015, 07:21
In the area you will hike you have nothing to worry about.
You should have a guide or companion though which gives this kind of info.
No worries. Just start walking and have fun.

You will likely use 99.9% preexisting campsites, and they will be obvious.
Flat land is scarce. Either on top of hills, or in the gaps, is where land flat enough to camp is usually.

For sure, dont limit yourself to the rat boxes.

boudreaux76
12-11-2015, 12:16
Thanks for the info. I just got notification from amazon that the guidebooks are sitting on my front porch. Hopefully that helps.

To the hidden question in that - - is Springer to Standing Indian doable in 6 days? I'm going by elevation profiles and distance calculators, but nothing beats eyes that have seen it and feet that have walked it.

Red Cinema
12-11-2015, 12:52
A good resource here are trail journals (trailjournals.com and/or google it to find people like Yoda who aren't on TJ, http://5millionstepswithkatie.blogspot.com/). Review NOBO journals at the start of their hikes, after a few you'll begin to be able to dial in people you think are sort of like how you hike and how prepared you are.

Thanks for the info. I just got notification from amazon that the guidebooks are sitting on my front porch. Hopefully that helps.

To the hidden question in that - - is Springer to Standing Indian doable in 6 days? I'm going by elevation profiles and distance calculators, but nothing beats eyes that have seen it and feet that have walked it.

Slo-go'en
12-11-2015, 13:29

Um, probably not. You can't actually "end" at Standing Indian. You can end at Deep Gap at mile 85 just before Standing Indian or at US64 at mile 110. So, your looking at doing either 14 miles a day or 18 miles a day on average.

Keep in mind any day you do less then the average you have to make up by doing more then the average on another day. It's pretty easy to get behind in your average mileage due to weather, terrain or shelter/campsite spacing and that can start to add up to some really long days to make up for the slippage.

As a newbie, you should really be thinking in the 10 mile a day average ball park. Typically it takes 3 days to do the 30 miles to Neel Gap. You can resupply there so your not starting off with 6 days of food, just 2 1/2 days worth. Most people spend the night at the Hostel in Neel Gap, but if you don't linger there are a couple of campsites a few miles north of the Gap, after a 700 or 800 foot climb. I like to do those climbs in the morning, not late in the afternoon.

The next good place to end is GA75, the road to Hiawassee at mile 52. It will take 3 days to get there from Neel Gap without pushing too hard. Once past GA75, the trail gets much harder with some serious ups and downs. Most people find the climb out of Bly gap (near the GA/NC) line to be a real butt kicker. Then if you don't get off at Deep gap before Standing Indian, you also have to climb Mt Albert which everyone finds to be a real butt kicker.

MuddyWaters
12-11-2015, 13:55

Yes, for the right person. Ive done that.

People have done it in 1-2, not average people though.

Likely no for you if you have to ask.

boudreaux76
12-11-2015, 14:55
Um, probably not. You can't actually "end" at Standing Indian. You can end at Deep Gap at mile 85 just before Standing Indian or at US64 at mile 110. So, your looking at doing either 14 miles a day or 18 miles a day on average....

I was thinking of the Standing Indian campground on 1448 (I think??) I had heard about as a good ending point 2016, and starting point 2017.

I see 75 on the map - but is 76(Dick's Creek) a good spot? That makes for a 70 mile hike. I'll just have to find a way to get there the next year when I dont have the wife waiting anywhere I want in the car to pick me up.

LittleRock
12-11-2015, 16:22

I did that exact section in 6 days a few years back (keep in mind that I was 25 years old). Here are my notes from that trip:

Day 0: Parked at USFS 42, hiked up to the AT Southern Terminus plaque on top of Springer for a picture, camped at the Springer shelter. I didn't count this day as an actual hiking day since the shelter is only 0.2 mi from the summit, and I didn't even get to the parking lot until 4 pm.

Day 1: Springer Shelter to Gooch Mtn Shelter (15 mi) - Tough first day. First 10 miles weren't too bad, but the climbs up Sassafrass Mtn and Justus Mtn near the end of the day were not to be underestimated. Note that there is also a good camping area at Justus Creek, about a mile south of Gooch shelter.

Day 2: Gooch Mtn Shelter to Blood Mtn Shelter (13 mi) - I was worried about the big climb up Blood Mtn at the end of the day, but it actually wasn't that bad. The biggest problem was water. I passed on flowing water at the bottom of Blood Mtn and all the sources on the way up were dry. Luckily it started pouring about 30 min. after I rolled into the shelter. Also not sure but Blood Mtn shelter may have been torn down since my hike. Alternatives are to stop 1 mi south at Woods Hole shelter or hike 2 mi (steep!) further down to Neels Gap and stay at the hostel there.

Day 3: Blood Mtn Shelter to Low Gap Shelter (13 mi) Trail wasn't too tough, but it rained pretty hard all day and the combination of high winds and slick trail made this not a very fun day for me. Only tough part was the mile from Tesnatee Gap to Hogpen Gap - it was a steep one!

Day 4: Low Gap Shelter to Tray Mtn Shelter (15 mi) Easy first half of the day - knocked out the first 7 mi to Blue Mtn shelter by 11 am. The rest was a butt whoopin'. 8 miles of steep down, steep up, steep down, steep up. Took me until 5 pm to get To Tray Mtn shelter and I passed out on the floor for about 15 min. when I got there.

Day 5: Tray Mtn Shelter to Plumorchard Gap Shelter (15 mi) Dick's Creek Gap felt like it would never get there. Hiked straight from Tray Mtn Shelter and it still took me until 2 pm. Took a nice long break, probably too long because I got hit by a thunderstorm on the last mile. Stupid me tried to outrun it instead of stopping and putting on my rain gear and my pack got soaked. Luckily, Plumorchard Gap Shelter ended up being the nicest shelter in GA. Triple-decker! There was a church group there and they gave me the top level all to myself so I could dry out my gear.

Day 6: Plumorchard Gap Shelter to Standing Indian (14 mi) - Started out with a nice easy 4 mi and a selfie at the GA/NC state line. After that the next mile up to Courthouse Bald was arguably the toughest of my entire trip. Very steep, and the trail suddenly became quite uneven and rocky after crossing into NC. But I was also rewarded with great views from Courthouse Bald and beyond. Stopped at Muskrat Creek Shelter for lunch - it was a complete dump so I changed plans and decided to camp up on top of Standing Indian Mtn instead of staying at the shelter. Best idea ever! Standing Indian shelter was another mouse-infested dump, but the camping area on top of the mountain had gorgeous sunrise and sunset views. This campsite was so awesome that by the next morning I'd already decided to come back and hike another section. (Five years later, I've now done 7 sections and hiked over 600 miles of the AT.)

Day 7: Hiked 2 miles back down to the forest service road at Deep Gap, wife picked me up at the parking lot. I also didn't count this day since it was just backtracking.

saltysack
12-11-2015, 19:03
I was thinking of the Standing Indian campground on 1448 (I think??) I had heard about as a good ending point 2016, and starting point 2017.

I see 75 on the map - but is 76(Dick's Creek) a good spot? That makes for a 70 mile hike. I'll just have to find a way to get there the next year when I dont have the wife waiting anywhere I want in the car to pick me up.

If you want to stop at standing Indian campground head down Kinsey creek trail at deep gap..lil over 2 miles down I believe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

QiWiz
12-12-2015, 12:18
In the area you will hike you have nothing to worry about.
You should have a guide or companion though which gives this kind of info.
No worries. Just start walking and have fun.

You will likely use 99.9% preexisting campsites, and they will be obvious.
Flat land is scarce. Either on top of hills, or in the gaps, is where land flat enough to camp is usually.

For sure, don't limit yourself to the rat boxes.

+1 No worries. AWOL guide will be helpful