PDA

View Full Version : Tomtom Trailhead Parking POI files?

Don Newcomb
12-11-2015, 09:44
Not specific to AT. Does anyone know of a downloadable Tomtom format Points of Interest (POI) file for trailhead parking areas in the eastern US? Tomtoms are generally easy to use but selecting a random point on a rural road as a destination is not something that's easy on a Tomtom.

Wise Old Owl
12-11-2015, 21:15
Sorry for not replying sooner, I was hoping someone would dig up the information, that I have posted many times in the past. The real issue is the ATC (Conservancy) has moved the data many times over the years. I have spoken to the webmaster by phone about this... its their data. It is by far the best I have found... at one time it was broken up into shelters, trail, and parkinglots... I have no idea now as I have it all on Google Earth as KML not POI. I have learned how to stuff it into a Garmin and it works... even when the Garmin complained.

Here you are I hope it works out, there may be a learning curve.
http://appalachiantrail.org/home/explore-the-trail

lilricky
12-15-2015, 10:47
Don, I've created quite a few POI packages for Garmin gps's, when I get home from work tonight, I'll find out the difference between Garmin's and Tomtom's formats and hopefully put something together for you.

Don Newcomb
12-16-2015, 09:49
I appreciate the interest. Of course, one way would be to just enter the geographic coordinates off the map but that's not very amenable to easily changing plans. I find it interesting that I can easily download a POI file for all known cemeteries but not for trailhead parking areas.