PDA

View Full Version : Tags for Thru Hiker Dogs

MountainLaurel
12-11-2015, 13:37
I'll be thru hiking NoBo next Spring and doing at least part of it with my dog. I was wondering if anyone had suggestions for what to put on their dog's tag? I'm definitely putting an email address as a primary contact as I can access it even if something happens to my phone. Here's what I have as of now-

Biscuit
Mom hiking AT NoBo
No medical issues
Email address
Phone Number

I'm getting a tag that has an engraved back option if any more info is advisable. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Sarcasm the elf
12-11-2015, 14:25
I would suggest putting a second phone number of somebody who is back home and can reliably answer the phone if you are unavailable

Change "mom" to "owner." The sentence "Owner hiking AT NoBo" is far more clear.

Ensure that the dog is microchipped as well and that the paperwork with the chip company is up to date so that they can quickly contact you directly.

TexasBob
12-11-2015, 14:30
Carry the rabies vaccination certificate with you and have a rabies tag on your dog. It would also be good to have a certificate with you showing other vaccinations.

TNhiker
12-11-2015, 14:47
Change "mom" to "owner." The sentence "Owner hiking AT NoBo" is far more clear.

along with this---i would put your real name.............and if you have a trail name from past, put that on as well...

thru hikers on trail may know you by trail name, but someone else could be out asking around for you by your real name.............

Hummy585
12-11-2015, 20:57
Being a life long first responder and a dog guy, I highly recommend the interactive Road ID. Available for you and your K9, its a unique ID that has a 24/7 on-line and human monitoring system that you can edit anytime you need to. When we trip to a different part of the world we can add or change contact info, or personal info. Also one can use numerous contacts. I have several. I know of several people who benefited. Check it out at http://www.roadid.com/default.aspx

Hummy585
12-11-2015, 21:00
On a side note, my Brother-in-law was run over and left on the side of the road to die like an animal. He had on a Fixx Road ID, which was how he was identified...http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/8124400/