PDA

View Full Version : Backpacking stoves

SueJhiker
12-11-2015, 19:35
Can anyone give me advice? I see the MSR Pocket Rocket is a good price and weight, but thought I would throw this out there for anyone that has had experience.

George
12-11-2015, 20:01
very popular, hard to beat canister stove

not as deluxe/ heavy/ expensive/ easy to use as the jet boil (probably the 2nd most popular canister choice

I have/ have used both - no longer use either, have used fuel tabs for many years now

Hosh
12-11-2015, 20:10
Snow Peak Giga, no piezo

Slosteppin
12-11-2015, 20:27
The Pocket Rocket is a good stove for the price and relatively light weight. OTOH, the Jetboil includes the pot and a pretty good windscreen and it boils water much faster.

poustinik
12-11-2015, 20:48
I just got my MSR pocket rocket. Tested it out last night with some Knorr's red beans and rice for dinner. Very simple to use - and the red beans and rice were delicious!

cmoulder
12-11-2015, 20:56
I just got my MSR pocket rocket. Tested it out last night with some Knorr's red beans and rice for dinner. Very simple to use - and the red beans and rice were delicious!

If you get a chance, try Vigo red beans & rice with some kielbasa and Tabasco sauce....:D

Feral Bill
12-11-2015, 21:21
If you get a chance, try Vigo red beans & rice with some kielbasa and Tabasco sauce....:D Sounds delicious. I'll have to make some soon. On my Svea.

Wise Old Owl
12-11-2015, 21:21
Hmm been a while...

Camping Backpacking Hiking Compact Lightweight Titanium Folding Micro Stove (Maple Fire) 1.5oz
Ion Micro Titanium Stove (same thing)
Olicamp Kinetic Ultra Titanium Stove = 1.7oz ALMOST UNAVAILABLE
Snow Peak LiteMax = 1.9oz
Soto Wind Master is 2.3oz
MSR Microrocket = 2.6oz
MSR Pocket Rocket = 3.0oz
Optimus Crux Lite = 3.3oz

MSR Titan Kettle = 4.2oz (0.85L)
Snow Peak Trek 700 Titanium cooker = 4.8oz (0.7L)
Optimus Terra Solo = 5.6oz (0.6L)

cmoulder
12-11-2015, 22:11
Also, BRS-3000T (http://www.amazon.com/BRS-Ultralight-Camping-Outdoor-Cooking/dp/B00NNMF70U)(fire maple relative) @ 25 grams... tight (small!) flame pattern but with impressively nice low flame control and very cheap. Surprisingly good quality.

saltysack
12-11-2015, 22:52
Lite max has served me well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rocketsocks
12-11-2015, 23:42
I like my pocket rocket, but think it should be at a cheaper price point if they want to stay competitive. the market is flooded with other stoves.

squeezebox
12-12-2015, 00:02
Cheap Chinese canister stoves. under $10

rocketsocks
12-12-2015, 00:30
Really not much to em, female thread, needle valve...and a pot stand.

HooKooDooKu
12-12-2015, 02:21
The complaint you will see about the pocket rocket is that your pot is unstable... especially since the pocket rocket leaves your pot sitting on there fine points.

I have liked the SnowPeak Lite Max much better. It is $20 more than the rocket but worth it. It folds down smaller, is ever so slightly lighter, and the pot supports lie flat giving the pot a little more stability.

I pair the Litemax with MSR Titan kettle, making for an ultra light setup without resorting to alcohol stoves. But I mostly do long weekend hikes where I don't have to worry much about conserving fuel. As I coIntemplate a JMT thru, I'm thinking about using my Jetboil SOL to conserve fuel.

It sounds like Jetboil is about to come out with perhaps their best combination... sounds like they are going to combine the light weight of the SOL with the performance of their minimo stove and call it the micromo.

Vegan Packer
12-12-2015, 04:18
I have an MSR Micro Rocket, which has been flawless. It's well made.

On the other hand, that BRS 3000T looks great. I only do Freezer Bag Cooking, and I have a 550ml pot. Something like that looks like it would be a nice way to save some weight while doing my water boils well. Pretty much all of the write-ups and reviews that I see are very positive. It's also very inexpensive. Any idea of how well it handles the wind?

Christoph
12-12-2015, 08:17
I was (and still am) happy with my pocket rocket. I think I only saw a handful of others on the trail tho. Seems almost everyone had the jet boil. Both are very good stoves.

Tuckahoe
12-12-2015, 08:31
I am trying to find out opinions on the best backpacking stoves to buy. and I know this has probably been discussed before. How do I find a thread for that?

You posted this in another thread of yours, and I thought it would be more appropriate to address the question here.

I am assuming your question is limited to cannister stoves and with that thought I would simply say those stoves are all the same. Folks will quibble over features, pot stand positioning, and tenths of an ounce of weight -- everyone has their favorite -- but in the end there is no best, all of the cannister stoves are the same.

hikerhobs
12-12-2015, 08:59
Don't have no experience with canister stoves, I use esbit fuel tabs works great for me.

Kaptainkriz
12-12-2015, 09:11
I have both a BRS-3000T and the oilcamp clone of the MSR pocket rocket. The MSR is a little better in the wind, the little triangle windbreak keeps it lit better. The BRS stand is much smaller and does not mate well with heat exchanger pots.

I have an MSR Micro Rocket, which has been flawless. It's well made.

On the other hand, that BRS 3000T looks great. I only do Freezer Bag Cooking, and I have a 550ml pot. Something like that looks like it would be a nice way to save some weight while doing my water boils well. Pretty much all of the write-ups and reviews that I see are very positive. It's also very inexpensive. Any idea of how well it handles the wind?

cmoulder
12-12-2015, 09:14
>>>but in the end there is no best, all of the cannister stoves are the same.

So a BRS3000T+MSR Titan Kettle is the same as a MSR Reactor? :confused:

Some stoves are better than others for individual requirements, locations, seasons, etc.

There are blogs (such as Hikin' Jim's Adventures in Stoving (http://adventuresinstoving.blogspot.com/p/stove-information-where-on-web.html)) dedicated entirely to the differences. He hasn't been very active this year, but the past info is still there.

squeezebox
12-12-2015, 09:44
Also check out Soto, probably at Backcounrty Gear.

Tuckahoe
12-12-2015, 11:54
>>>but in the end there is no best, all of the cannister stoves are the same.

So a BRS3000T+MSR Titan Kettle is the same as a MSR Reactor? :confused:

Some stoves are better than others for individual requirements, locations, seasons, etc.

There are blogs (such as Hikin' Jim's Adventures in Stoving (http://adventuresinstoving.blogspot.com/p/stove-information-where-on-web.html)) dedicated entirely to the differences. He hasn't been very active this year, but the past info is still there.

Apples and oranges. My remarks were limited to canister stoves, as the OP was asking about Pocket Rockets. I purposefully did not reference white gas, fuel tabs, alcohol or enclosed Jetboil type systems.

A lot of folks asking and fretting about stoves get worked up over whether they should use a Pocket Rocket or a Giga Power, when in the end they along with BRS-3000T, Fire Maple and etc. Are indeed the same.

cmoulder
12-12-2015, 12:03
OK, the Pocket Rocket-type stoves... I generally agree on that. It's not like anybody's going to be doing gourmet cooking with any canister stove, especially these with tiny flame patterns. It's a water heater.

BirdBrain
12-12-2015, 12:06
There are a million right answers... and a pocket rocket is one of them. It is all just preferences. If it didn't work, no one would ever carry one. Given my preferences, I don't like them. Therefore, I do something else... that has nothing to do with canisters and the OP.

QiWiz
12-12-2015, 12:13
Lite max has served me well

+1 if you want a canister stove. Pocket Rocket puts your pot up higher and therefore is a more tippy setup than you need or want IMO.

squeezebox
12-12-2015, 12:22
If you are considering a wind screen by the same company consider the wt. of that. For example the Giga power windscreen weighs almost as much as the stove. the AL foil cookie sheet I cut down to fit that big pocket where the pack frame is, it doen't weigh much. 1 oz. maybe? So whatever stove you're thinking about, think windscreen also. Remember do not overheat your canister.

Old Hiker
12-12-2015, 12:23
Had one pocket rocket after several (number unknown for sure) years where the threads became stripped and I had to buy another one. Never had a response after a couple of e-mails about if that was covered by warranty or not. I figured I had my use, so whatever. Bought 2 more - one for using and one for a backup.

Bought a Jetboil on sale, but I really don't like all the stuff hooked on: strap, cover, etc. Seems fine, everything except my larger canister fits inside, etc. but I went back to my Rocket.

As for tippy? I never had a problem, but I always tried to find a level place or leveled it out with a rock or stick. I have the orange one below (#2):

http://www.amazon.com/MSR-05346-Universal-Canister-Stand/dp/B00453UJMM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1449937102&sr=8-1&keywords=pocket+rocket+stand

http://www.amazon.com/Fire-maple-Folding-Canister-Multifunction-Cartridge/dp/B00NBFB8RA/ref=pd_sim_468_3?ie=UTF8&dpID=31I%2BxFuPu8L&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=1P3WEBF8Z0TM3VH7GZ96

squeezebox
12-12-2015, 12:24
+1 if you want a canister stove. Pocket Rocket puts your pot up higher and therefore is a more tippy setup than you need or want IMO.

Those anti-tip-over legs weigh 1 oz. FWIW.

squeezebox
12-12-2015, 12:29

JohnHuth
12-12-2015, 18:24
I'm now on my second Pocket Rocket - probably got 10+ years out of the first - the tippy-ness never created a spill for me, but you have to be careful. I did get some anti-tip legs eventually.

On the other extreme, my son made an alcohol stove out of a soda can and some other material - he was happy on it for his thru-hike.

sethd513
12-12-2015, 20:35
I have a red bull alcohol stove, msr pocket rocket windboiler and whisper lite. My favorite is the home made red bull stove. Windboiler is fast! but heavy. Pocket rocket is great unless it's windy. And my whisperlite is a cold weather stove. Originally I bought the Windboiler and then to lighten my bag went to the pocket rocket. Eventually alcohol stove.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BonBon
12-13-2015, 00:42
I started with a jet boil mini-mo (a bit on the heavy side but very good stove) and finished up with a beer can alcohol stove someone sent me. After I got the hang of it, I liked that alcohol stove best. But the jetboil was very easy, stable and very fast.

Bubblehead
12-13-2015, 08:35
Hikerhobs,
I see where you use esbit stove and fuel tabs...I just bought mine but have not used it yet. Going on a long section hike in April....Approach trail to HF.... Any words of advice on using the esbit stove...i.e. using, storing, cleaning etc....Thanks....Bubblehead

cmoulder
12-13-2015, 09:30
Search "esbit" and read everything you can. Here (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/112505-Considering-Esbit?highlight=esbit)is a recent thread with some good info/advice. TONS of information here and elsewhere by googling.

I love Esbit in the right locations and conditions, but, like anything else, one should become thoroughly familiar with it before committing to it for a significant trip. But if all else fails, it's easy enough to make a cat can stove and use alcohol... in some places.

squeezebox
12-13-2015, 09:46
I've heard that Esbit stinks.

MuddyWaters
12-13-2015, 10:00
A lot of folks asking and fretting about stoves get worked up over whether they should use a Pocket Rocket or a Giga Power, when in the end they along with BRS-3000T, Fire Maple and etc. Are indeed the same.

Sort of
They will all do the job for most

But....they produce different amounts of CO
Which is important to people that cook in tent in bad weather conditions

That type of discussion isnt found here typically, but is on bpl.

Theres some reliability issues as well. Some metal threads are better than others, some can lock up to cannister with temp change, or gall. Some needle valves dont adjust well. Availability of spare parts at outfitters, etc.

Some like informed decisions, some ignore all the details.

Quite honestly, the reason fire maple and brps3000 are considered acceptable is because bpl people like roger caffin evaluated them and said OK. There are a great many of cheap stoves that are unnacceptable.

cmoulder
12-13-2015, 10:01
I, too, heard that about the smell (and soot complaints) and for a long time put off even trying Esbit, but after giving it a go discovered that, for me, those negatives were vastly exaggerated.

However, lots of things that people complain about don't bother me in the least, such as noisy sleep mats and ground sheets, the plastic-y feel of an air pillow against the face, so it's definitely a YMMV thing.

A well-designed Esbit system can be the lightest weight option (except for wood!) for both kit and fuel... again depending upon location, conditions and fuel availability.

hikerhobs
12-13-2015, 11:45
Bubblehead, esbit fuels will burn in any weather conditions and you don't have to worry about anything going wrong with the stove. The fuels do have a little bit of a odor but there sealed and I carry the fuels in a plastic container so you don't smell them, only when the package is open you get a little odor. The fuels do leave a little soot just rinse it off its no big deal. I carry my pot, mug, bowl, fuels, stove, ect in a soft cloth 6-pack cooler that way everything is together. Don't forget to use a wind screen. I been using esbit for more than 15 years it works great for me.

Uncle Joe
12-13-2015, 11:52
A local REI rep who has extensive AT experience uses Esbit tabs as her backup. Makes sense. I like my alcohol stove but thinking maybe I should toss a few in the pack just in case.

hikerhobs
12-13-2015, 12:14
Esbit fuels are also great fire staters

cmoulder
12-13-2015, 12:40
Pictured below is a complete (except for pot lid and cuben stuff sack) Esbit set-up. Without fuel 7.4oz, including lid and stuff sack. Fuel weight is 1 oz per day (1 tab for breakfast, 1 for dinner meal). This is far from being the lightest set-up, but I prefer its durability over that of the beer-can systems.

Open Country (OC) 3-cup aluminum pot, small Ti tray for Esbit, myog Ti pot stand (7g), aluminum wind screen, plastic OC cup for coffee, MSR folding spoon (9g), MSR Lite lifter, mini bic. This set-up will consistently boil 3 cups of water with 1 14g tab as long as the starting temperature of the water is about 55°F or warmer.

Hosh
12-13-2015, 13:11

I bring this, http://www.backcountrygear.com/primus-cartridge-footrest-black.html?gclid=CISWo-Cp2ckCFYOEaQodhn4KUw with my larger pots, ie 1.9 l Evernew.

It's .75 oz's on my scale.

Bubblehead
12-13-2015, 15:34
:bananaThanks for the info Hikerhobs....I've attached a picture of my stove.....I did a lot of research on all stove types before I decided on this one. Haven't used it yet, but will be trying it out numerous times before I start my long section hike in April.http://whiteblaze.net/forum/asset.php?fid=29758&uid=59801&d=1450035065

hikerhobs
12-13-2015, 16:05
Bubblehead, I have the same set-up, just make yourself a wind screen and you'll be good to go.

capehiker
12-13-2015, 17:51
There are two canister stoves I highly recommend. The Snow Peak Litemax and Soto Windmaster. The Soto, paired with an Olicamp XTS pot, is a very fuel efficient combination that rivals Jetboil numbers while being a few ounces lighter than a Jetboil.

I really like alcohol stoves as well. Keeping with fuel efficiency, the Trail Designs Sidewinder Ti Tri with modified Starlyte burner is probably the most fuel efficient set-up in that genre.

bigcranky
12-13-2015, 18:01
I see a huge number of Jetboils on the trail. Finally tested one in 2014, and they are significantly more efficient in fuel usage (like using 1/3 the fuel of our previous canister stove to boil 2 cups of water). Not a big deal most of the time, but we needed it for a hike that summer. I've since bought an additional pot so we can make hot drinks while dinner is in the cozy. Not the lightest, but for us the most useful stove system.

Odd Man Out
12-13-2015, 18:48
There are two canister stoves I highly recommend. The Snow Peak Litemax and Soto Windmaster. The Soto, paired with an Olicamp XTS pot, is a very fuel efficient combination that rivals Jetboil numbers while being a few ounces lighter than a Jetboil.

I really like alcohol stoves as well. Keeping with fuel efficiency, the Trail Designs Sidewinder Ti Tri with modified Starlyte burner is probably the most fuel efficient set-up in that genre.

I've considered getting a Soto to go with my Olicamp XTS pot. Good to knew they pair effectively. I now use the XTS with an eCHS alcohol stove. It is just as efficient as a Starlyte in a cone, but almost twice as powerful, cuts boil times in half.

sliverstorm
12-14-2015, 01:53
To earlier comments, I too had trouble with a Micro Rocket being unstable because the pot supports were not a flat surface but rather pointed. Switched to a snowpeak giga. Not the fastest ever (which i most accutely experienced while melting 2L of snow) but happy with it. Frequently take as a backup to my buddy's Jetboil.

Rmcpeak
12-14-2015, 14:26
MSR Windburner has been awesome for me this Fall on several cooler temp hikes with lows into the 20s overnight. Easy to operate with cold fingers, no liquid fuel, etc. I use a Caldera Keg in the summer. I am not extremely experienced, no thru hike yet, but I like the heavier canister setup in the cold when I really want something warm to eat/drink fast and don't feel like messing around and it's damn dark out and I want to get in my bag.

Mudsock
12-14-2015, 20:46
Toaks makes a small capillary hoop stove that sold for $7.95 at Neel Gap. The guy in the hostel demonstrated it. It blooms virtually instantly and is very well made. The weight is less than an ounce. With a hardware cloth pot stand and a foil windscreen, it would make a good kit. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TaO7pETVeno

Mudsock
12-14-2015, 20:47
Toaks makes a small capillary hoop stove that sold for $7.95 at Neel Gap. The guy in the hostel demonstrated it. It blooms quickly and is very well made. The weight is .7 oz. With a hardware cloth pot stand and a foil windscreen, it would make a good kit. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TaO7pETVeno

CarlZ993
12-15-2015, 11:48
For a upright canister stove, I really like the Soto Windmaster stove. It is the most wind-resistant canister stove that I've seen. The burner head is concave instead of convex in design. The burner head has a little lip around the rim to help with the wind. The pot support is removable from the burner head for storage & transport. Soto also came out with another stove of similar design w/ the folding pot supports affixed to the burner head (Amicus). I have it on good authority that Santa Claus is bringing me one for Christmas. I'll test it & compare the differences, if any, between the two.

pauly_j
12-16-2015, 04:44
I have a Coleman F1 stove for short camping trips (I use an alcohol stove for longer ones generally). It's never let me down and is lighter than a pocket rocket.

So There I Was
12-16-2015, 11:47
I started with a Pocket Rocket and moved to a JetBoil in Alaska. I cannot say enough good things about the JetBoil. It even worked well at just under ~6000ft. Though, that is more of a fuel factor than stove factor.

But, I will tell you the last time I was at the store I was in a discussion with a few other folks. They were moving from JetBoil to MSR. Two of them were going with the Wind burner, a third was going o the Reactor. I think I will stay with the JetBoil for a while longer.

FlyFishNut
12-16-2015, 21:40
Don't remember what my thought process was when I chose the MSR SuperFly over the PocketRocket - I believe I was looking at the more stable surface and wider burn pattern.

But I've had it now for 4 years and it has performed like a champ. It also simmers well, not burning food and making it stick to the bottom. I have no reason to upgrade, as it does everything I need it to.

MuddyWaters
12-16-2015, 23:59
I see a huge number of Jetboils on the trail. Finally tested one in 2014, and they are significantly more efficient in fuel usage (like using 1/3 the fuel of our previous canister stove to boil 2 cups of water). Not a big deal most of the time, but we needed it for a hike that summer. I've since bought an additional pot so we can make hot drinks while dinner is in the cozy. Not the lightest, but for us the most useful stove system.

Jetboil sol ti fuel = 0.15 oz per 2 cup boil
My cannister setup = 0.18 oz per 2 cup boil

Jetboil boil time = 2 min 15 sec
My boil time = 7.5 min

Jetboil sol ti weight = 9.9 oz without cannister
My setup = 2.35 oz without cannister

Jetboil cost = $130
My cost = $30

Jetboil is a great product for windy environs, or when need fast because sharing among several people. Or for people that buy i-phones. I.e. they just want something that works great and doesnt need tinkering. To make regular cannister more efficient, use windscreen and turn heat to low, so you arent wasting it by generating too much unabsorbed heat.