PDA

View Full Version : Yet another request for a gear list critique.

Puddlefish
12-11-2015, 21:25
Northbound, beginning mid April, from Springer. Prior experience: Three season hiker, average 20 miles a week on the trails in town, plus a 3,000 footer each week somewhere in NH. Just an occasional two or three day camping trip. Camping has never really been my thing, since I can just do the hike, and sleep at home in comfort. 5'10" 193 lbs. Have lost 40 pounds over the last three years, and will likely loose a few more before April. I plan on avoiding shelters/huts whenever it's legal to do so.

Here's the list. (http://lighterpack.com/r/cdawl9)

Items marked with an * are not yet purchased, but are being considered. Some of the item weights are a bit fuzzy, since for example, the tent hasn't yet been delivered. I'm specifically wondering if I should add a 50 degree quilt to the mix. It would be fairly easy/cheap to sew one (out of argon 67/2.5 Climashield Apex), which could then be used for the summer when the bag gets sent home.

A few things I'm married to, like the boots. I've had some for years, and am currently breaking in a second pair (low rise this time) for eventual summer use. I also have a new set of insoles on order for the old pair. I've had some good use out of my rain gear.

A few things I'm already dubious of, like the kettle which is squat, when the rest of the cookset is tall, so doesn't nest well. The Zlite pad wasn't much fun to sleep on, on a wooden floor.

Trying to strike a good weight/cost/comfort compromise.

Give me your thoughts, no need to pull your punches, I'm pretty hard to offend.

somers515
12-11-2015, 21:49
I'm no expert but the squishy yoga mat caught my eye as something you could easily cut. I love my tarp-tent notch by the way. I only use some tyvek as my tent footprint to help make it last longer and even that I might cut out for a thru-hike.

Can I ask just out of curiosity - 51, thru-hiking the AT, how'd you get so lucky to be able to get the time off? Enjoy your hike!

Puddlefish
12-11-2015, 22:28
I'm no expert but the squishy yoga mat caught my eye as something you could easily cut. I love my tarp-tent notch by the way. I only use some tyvek as my tent footprint to help make it last longer and even that I might cut out for a thru-hike.

Can I ask just out of curiosity - 51, thru-hiking the AT, how'd you get so lucky to be able to get the time off? Enjoy your hike!

The yoga mat was something I had lying around the house, was thinking I could carry it the first few weeks when it was coldest, then ditch it. Alternatively I could pony up the cash for one of the self inflating thermarests, and lose both the yoga mat and the uncomfortable Z lite.

Did the whole career climbing rat race thing, became the winning rat. Once the kids graduated college, and the alimony ended, I dumped it all, and currently live on a tiny pension. I live simply, I'm responsible for no one but me, I'm quite content. Possibly TMI... but thanks, I hope to enjoy it!

Slo-go'en
12-11-2015, 22:30
The only thing I'd change is the Matt. Use a Neoair or similar and don't look back. Zlites only work for 20 year olds. It will be warming up quick in mid April so don't worry about the bag rating. Just add a silk liner if anything. Your base weight is about as low as it can get without shelling out big bucks, as I'm sure your well aware of. I typically leave the house with about 18 pounds base in the spring, geared up about the way you are.

cmoulder
12-12-2015, 00:37
Ditto on the sleep mat. Get something inflatable.

The pack and sleeping bag are pretty heavy. A zpacks pack and an EE quilt could lop off about 2.5-3 lbs.

CarlZ993
12-12-2015, 14:24
I'd also recommend ditching the yoga mat. There's nothing wrong w/ the Zlite sleeping pad. I've used one for years. Once the NeoAirs came out, I switched to them. The NeoAir Xlite is great!! Light, comfy, & pretty tough (no leaks/flats yet). I got it in fall of 2012 & used it exclusively since (2013 AT thru hike & all my other hikes since as well).

I didn't see any rain jacket listed (wind shirt, umbrella, rain kilt, & mitts). I wouldn't trust myself w/o a rain jacket. I've never tried a rain kilt yet. I'll have to do that sometime to see how well it works.

I prefer a dedicated headlamp w/ 2 or 3 AAA batteries over just a button light. Personal preference for me.

Good luck on your hike.

Puddlefish
12-12-2015, 14:55
Thanks much everyone. I'm now looking at the inflatable Neo-air large torso Trekker (15 oz.) with an inflation sack (another 3 oz or so.) The extra 5 inches of width would seem to give more sleeping options, and I don't mind putting my feet up over the pack to sleep. The inflation sack could probably double as a pack liner, it looks fairly huge.

I kind of panicked about spending an extra $150 on the Zpacks to save 19 oz. I've been training/practicing with the Osprey loaded at 20 pounds for about a month, and have found it quite comfortable. At this point, it would be spending an extra $315, so that's not realistically happening.

I intentionally went with the more weatherproof synthetic bag, not wanting to be driven off the trail, or waiting about for the down to dry. I still might spend the $60 on materials and build a one pound synthetic quilt for the summer. That will make up for the increased weight on the pad.

I've been training the last month with the Osprey, adding a few pounds each week. I'm up to 20 pounds so far, and it's still quite comfortable, even at the end of the day.

Puddlefish
12-12-2015, 15:14
I'd also recommend ditching the yoga mat. There's nothing wrong w/ the Zlite sleeping pad. I've used one for years. Once the NeoAirs came out, I switched to them. The NeoAir Xlite is great!! Light, comfy, & pretty tough (no leaks/flats yet). I got it in fall of 2012 & used it exclusively since (2013 AT thru hike & all my other hikes since as well).

I didn't see any rain jacket listed (wind shirt, umbrella, rain kilt, & mitts). I wouldn't trust myself w/o a rain jacket. I've never tried a rain kilt yet. I'll have to do that sometime to see how well it works.

I prefer a dedicated headlamp w/ 2 or 3 AAA batteries over just a button light. Personal preference for me.

Good luck on your hike.

Thanks.

I'm one of those annoying side/back/side/front toss and turn sleepers. I felt like I was sleeping on a very thin bumpy balance beam with elbows, knees and the occasional shoulder draping over the nice warm mat onto the cold floor. My hips particularly dug right through the Z lite onto the shelter floor. Maybe my problem was more with the shelter floor than the mat. I'm going to pop into my local outfitter and try out some inflatables before I make a final choice.

I'm hoping not to be moving around at night very much, as in pee bottle in the tent not moving. I figure I can always buy one on the trail, if my habits change.

Thanks

cmoulder
12-12-2015, 15:38
The Neoair Trekker torso/wide (47" x 25") weighs 13.04 oz on my digital scale. Lower legs and feet on the pack doesn't bother me one bit. I use the Instaflator which weighs 1.45oz, but unfortunately they are no longer made. Glad I bought an extra one when they were still available.

Although the Trekker weighs 5oz more than the Xlite, it is well worth it for a good night's sleep!

MamaBear
12-12-2015, 16:22
Looks good! Seems like you've already made some changes as suggested by other posters. You have a similar gear set up to what I hiked the AT with last year, and worked for me.

I've got one of the Trekkers, too, and as a side sleeper/tosser/turner, the extra loft was nice to have. It was nice to adjust the loft easily with more or less air in the thing.

The Osprey is a good bag - lot of them out there and mine just needed cleaning and it is ready for more miles.

I did end up buying a 40 degree quilt and sending my 20 degree sleeping bag home. Both were down and I never had a problem keeping them dry. The quilt was definitely the way to go in the summer, and yes, it was a pound lighter than my sleeping bag!

I also prefer a regular headlamp. Really helps at the beginning and end of the AT when there is less daylight. Also the red light feature is nice if you happen to end up staying in a shelter, less annoying to your fellow hikers.

You questioned hat and/or buff on your list. Take both. You can always send the hat home, but the buff is still useful when it gets really hot. Dip it into a nice cool stream and wear it wet on your head or around your neck to keep you cool. I'm from NH, too, and some of the heat combined with the humidity was pretty rough.

Good luck - sounds like you're just about ready to go!

MamaBear
12-12-2015, 16:25
One more thing. Umbrella. I saw you had one your list. I have one too, love it. Still using it - used it a few weeks ago on a Bond traverse when it started icing on us. Do you have a way to attach it to your pack? It is very easy to do with two small elastic cords with cord locks. That way you can hike with it hands-free and still use your poles.

Puddlefish
12-12-2015, 16:38
This air tap pump kit (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004NBF9Z8?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00) looks like it might work even better than the dedicated pump sack.

I hadn't considered the red light idea as a camping thing. I used to use one when sailing as it didn't destroy one's night vision. I suppose it's only polite not to destroy the night vision of anyone else who might be around at night. One more thing to research!

Thanks

Puddlefish
12-12-2015, 16:47
One more thing. Umbrella. I saw you had one your list. I have one too, love it. Still using it - used it a few weeks ago on a Bond traverse when it started icing on us. Do you have a way to attach it to your pack? It is very easy to do with two small elastic cords with cord locks. That way you can hike with it hands-free and still use your poles.

Oh, I knew there was something I'd forgotten! I have a perfect setup on my hydration pack. I'll have to putter around with the Exos. Will try the cord/locks idea.

CoconutTree
12-12-2015, 17:03
Looking at the clothing worn category, it looks you are hiking in your undies. That's hardcore! :)

I would add a rain jacket to the mix, you should expect some cold, windy, rainy days and maybe some snow flurries. I would take that before taking a fleece top.

Defintely make a summer quilt, but if you have never used one, don't get greedy and make it too small. A summer quilt saves some weight, saves some wear and tear on your main bag, and it is a fairly easy project to make.

You list a compression sack for your synthetic bag. Careful with that, synthetic bags don't last long when you compress them.

You don't need deet at the start. Don't really need a towel, maybe a bandana. Unless you are really attached to it, i would leave the watch at home.

Good luck. Hope to be on the trail around that time, so maybe i'll see you out there.

Slo-go'en
12-12-2015, 17:03
I have one of the first generation NeoAir matts. I blow it up full, then lay on it and let some air out until I settle into it a bit. That helps to keep from rolling off of it.

You might want to trade the flip phone for a cheap smart phone and pay as you go data/voice plan. I finally got one for my last trip and being able to access the internet from almost anywhere was really handy.

Puddlefish
12-12-2015, 18:53
Looking at the clothing worn category, it looks you are hiking in your undies. That's hardcore! :)

I would add a rain jacket to the mix, you should expect some cold, windy, rainy days and maybe some snow flurries. I would take that before taking a fleece top.

Defintely make a summer quilt, but if you have never used one, don't get greedy and make it too small. A summer quilt saves some weight, saves some wear and tear on your main bag, and it is a fairly easy project to make.

You list a compression sack for your synthetic bag. Careful with that, synthetic bags don't last long when you compress them.

You don't need deet at the start. Don't really need a towel, maybe a bandana. Unless you are really attached to it, i would leave the watch at home.

Good luck. Hope to be on the trail around that time, so maybe i'll see you out there.

Bah, why does everyone make me wear pants?!... but yeah, I have some convertible ones I like. I have an old Columbia rain jacket that I kind of hate, it's supposed to be breathable, but I end up like a ball of sweat in it. I suppose I could drag it along for a few weeks until the snow forecasts are gone. I'll likely keep the thin fleece for a bit, I find it perfect by itself for a 40 degree day.

The no bugs thing at the start is just hard for me to wrap my NH brain around. I'm just used to the snow melting and ticks/black flies appearing within minutes. But, these are the things that it's good to learn.

Once I have all my gear together, I'll see if I can get away without the compression bag. I was kind of hoping I wouldn't need the lid to the pack. Maybe I can lose the lid and compression bag once I lose the cold weather gear.

I was thinking the watch would be a good alternative to dragging the flip phone out just to find the time and burning it's battery. I've been considering cell phones and plans. I get the general concept of them, I've just never felt the need for one before. In theory it would be nice to use as a GPS, transfer pictures from the camera/transmit them, and that type of stuff. It just seems like a fragile and expensive way to do all of that. I was also thinking of bringing my kindle and using the email/pdf functions to store some data, but I'd probably break it. For that matter, the cheapo watch would probably break too.

All good things to think of, thanks.

Slo-go'en
12-13-2015, 02:02
I carry a cheap digital watch on my pack. It gets enough use and has insignificant weight so it's worth having along.

I got a $20 smart phone and if I loose or break it, no big deal. I wouldn't feel that way about my tablet. I resisted the smart phone for a long time, but was glad I finally got one. I don't think I'd travel without one again.

You definitely need a rain jacket. The Prec you have listed is a popular one. The rain jacket adds a significant amount of warmth when you need everything you got to keep warm.

Puddlefish
12-13-2015, 09:21
I carry a cheap digital watch on my pack. It gets enough use and has insignificant weight so it's worth having along.

I got a $20 smart phone and if I loose or break it, no big deal. I wouldn't feel that way about my tablet. I resisted the smart phone for a long time, but was glad I finally got one. I don't think I'd travel without one again.

You definitely need a rain jacket. The Prec you have listed is a popular one. The rain jacket adds a significant amount of warmth when you need everything you got to keep warm.

Good enough, I apparently need to get out of my day hiker "can get in the car and warm up on the way home" mentality.

Slo-go'en
12-13-2015, 11:48
Good enough, I apparently need to get out of my day hiker "can get in the car and warm up on the way home" mentality.

Or an overnight/weekend mentality. There are plenty of things I'll forgo on a short trip, but on a long duration hike you need to be better equipped for a wider range of eventualities.

CoconutTree
12-13-2015, 12:59
I have an old Columbia rain jacket that I kind of hate, it's supposed to be breathable, but I end up like a ball of sweat in it. I suppose I could drag it along for a few weeks until the snow forecasts are gone. I'll likely keep the thin fleece for a bit, I find it perfect by itself for a 40 degree day.

Even if the fleece is perfect for a 40 degree day, that might not be reason enough to carry it. This is a different way of looking at things. Most days aren't 40 degrees. You already have gear which will cover you on a 40 degree day. Do you really want to carry the extra weight? It might be worth it for you or it might not.

You have 6 layers for your top: t-shirt, 3 long sleeve shirts, a puffy, a wind shirt. And maybe you'll take a rain jacket as well for 7 layers. Can you wear every layer at once? Do you need 3 long sleeve tops? Pick your favorite one and get rid of the other 2. You could probably get rid of all 3 long sleeve tops if you really wanted to, but that is a little extreme.

For the watch and the phone, only take it if it enhances your hike. If you aren't sure you want them, why carry something across 2000 miles of mountainous terrain? If you decide later you really do want them, you can always buy one. You don't have to start day one with every thing you might possibly want for the next 6 months.

Slo-go'en
12-13-2015, 15:04
For the watch and the phone, only take it if it enhances your hike. If you aren't sure you want them, why carry something across 2000 miles of mountainous terrain? If you decide later you really do want them, you can always buy one. You don't have to start day one with every thing you might possibly want for the next 6 months.

The flip side of this is it's easier and less expensive to get rid of stuff you don't need along the way by sending it home then it is to buy stuff you find you need while on the trail.

JohnG10
12-13-2015, 19:27
Your comment about pulling your cell phone out to check the time throughout the day is interesting.

For me, a watch is only useful if I need to be someplace on time. Like, "the post office closes at 5:00, so I need to hike faster".

But the rest of the time I don't need it. I eat when I'm hungry, and rest or sleep when I'm tired. And I can see when the sun is going down and it's time to start looking for places to make camp - without a sunrise/sunset table.

Try hiking without a watch. It's very liberating :)

egilbe
12-13-2015, 20:11
I use a watch to figure out how far I've gone. It takes so long to hike a number of miles. From how long its been since the last known checkpoint. Other than that, i dont care what time it is, just how far ive travelled.

Heliotrope
12-14-2015, 00:22
I just started using a watch this year. Saves my cell phone battery . But most importantly serves as my alarm so I can start the day early otherwise I will sleep away some good hiking hours. It also useful to help me pace my day because once I get moving morning blends into the afternoon and I lose awareness of how many hours have gone by.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Puddlefish
12-14-2015, 22:13
After thinking about it, I decided to get a cheaper watch. The altimeter/barometer combination is kind of pointless going up and down mountains. I have no intention of doing pressure calculations to actually forecast weather with it. Well, maybe just a few calculations for fun...

I check the time on the trail quite a bit more than I do in real life. Useful for dead reckoning as others have said. It's important to judge my turn back time at times, especially with sunset coming at 4:12 pm.

cmoulder
12-15-2015, 11:02
With the barometric function you don't have to calculate anything; simply take note of the pressure when you arrive at camp and observe whether it goes up or down. Similarly for altimeters (digital ones, anyway) which can be "zeroed" at the bottom of a climb and can track your progress, giving you some idea how much more you have to go, helping to decide whether to press on for a bit or to take that break now. No need to know absolute altitude, although you can re-set that easily enough at the top of a peak of known elevation.

One of the best indicators for rain is the appearance of those high, wispy cirrus clouds (sometimes called "horse tails"), which 19 times out of 20 are followed by precipitation the next day. Of course, you can often check the weather radar on a smartphone. :)

Puddlefish
12-15-2015, 12:20
With the barometric function you don't have to calculate anything; simply take note of the pressure when you arrive at camp and observe whether it goes up or down. Similarly for altimeters (digital ones, anyway) which can be "zeroed" at the bottom of a climb and can track your progress, giving you some idea how much more you have to go, helping to decide whether to press on for a bit or to take that break now. No need to know absolute altitude, although you can re-set that easily enough at the top of a peak of known elevation.

One of the best indicators for rain is the appearance of those high, wispy cirrus clouds (sometimes called "horse tails"), which 19 times out of 20 are followed by precipitation the next day. Of course, you can often check the weather radar on a smartphone. :)

Outside of camp, the main problem is that once you zero it for a known altitude, then the altitude changes are competing with the weather pressure on the same dial. Which means, you'd really need two known elevations for any kind of accuracy, or sit still for 24- 48 hours to get a mean. I have a sneaking suspicion that it would just be inaccurate enough to annoy me. Then again, I'm now intrigued enough, I may buy one just to see how a $45 digital barometer performs.

Of course, if the pressure drops fast enough, you'll probably just notice the visual clues of the approaching storm anyway. The mare's tail clouds predict rain for the following day when the wind is coming from the general east, not so much if the wind is coming from the west, which should be the prevailing wind along the trail late spring and summer. Of course, goofy things happen to the weather among mountains locally.

Yeah, it would be kind of fun to know your relative elevation compared to your destination.

As for the smartphone, I'm going to start the hike without one. But! I'm going to pick out a cheap phone with good battery life and a compatible pay as you go data plan in advance. I can always order it from the trail if I decide that I need one.