PDA

View Full Version : 2016 Maps

The Wanna Bs
12-11-2015, 21:59
Is there an app and downloadable AT maps that can be used with GPS, much like we used Maprika on our 100 Mile Hike? I hope, I hope.

lkmi
12-11-2015, 22:23
Not sure if this is what you mean, but Guthook's app is brilliant. The app is free; you pay for the maps you want.

The Wanna Bs
12-12-2015, 01:17
So can you get maps of the AT to work with it and will your phones GPS follow along and show you where you are on the trail

The Wanna Bs
12-12-2015, 01:45
So can you get maps of the AT to work with it and will your phones GPS follow along and show you where you are on the trail. Yes. Looks like we can. Thank you do very much!

Bubblehead
12-12-2015, 17:17
I'm getting a new i phone 6s to use on my hike (first smartphone ever...). Gut hook's app looks great, and I'm interested in getting it. That being said, won't the Guthook program use lots of battery power on your phone?....can it be viewed in airplane mode, or if you are in an area with no coverage? Would like to know answers to these questions before I purchase it. If the Guthook program app can't be viewed at all times, seems to me a paper copy, of say the AWOL 2016 Northbound guide would be a better choice... I will be getting a battery charger, probably an Auckey, for my trip to keep my i phone charged...
Any advice would be appreciated...

lkmi
12-12-2015, 17:40
With the Guthook app on an iPhone, you don't even need a cell signal. It works off the GPS.
I put my phone on airplane mode. And, I don't leave Guthook on the entire time I'm hiking.
Instead, I turn it on when I need the info. Then I turn it off (not just close the app; but quit out of it).
With that approach, it used very little power.

All that being said... you should ALWAYS have a non-electronic map - and compass - and know how to use them. Phones can be dropped and they can fail.

I like Guthook because it confirms - or corrects - the info of my location, based on my use of the (paper) map. Plus, it provides lovely things such as how far to the campsite or water source.

And I love AWOL's guide. But he doesn't provide a map. So I bring one.

Bubblehead
12-12-2015, 19:50
Thanks for the info Ikmi.

The Wanna Bs
12-13-2015, 09:32
The app was free. It is the maps that must be purchased.

bemental
12-13-2015, 12:40
I've used Guthooks's app and it does indeed put a "dot-on-map" location for you on the trail, with a line for the trail as well.

You can use it in airplane mode, but you need to switch the GPS on to view your updated location (iPhone). Once back in airplane mode you can still use the app as a guidebook without any extra battery draw for location-finding.

Paired with an AWOL's it's a dream team of AT-specific information.

-----

I will say that I also had my AWOL guidebook digitally, and this go around I plan on taking a paper copy instead. Much easier to page through and actually see what's coming, markup, and overall ease of use compared to using it on a phone/tablet out in the field.

Jeff
12-13-2015, 14:23
I will say that I also had my AWOL guidebook digitally, and this go around I plan on taking a paper copy instead. Much easier to page through and actually see what's coming, markup, and overall ease of use compared to using it on a phone/tablet out in the field.

This is a good suggestion. Other hikers, hostel owners, trail angels are going to make recommendations of all sorts about upcoming issues and you want to write some of those points down.

capehiker
12-13-2015, 17:37
I just downloaded AWOLS pdf version for 2016. The town information has imbedded links so you can click to call for services. Nice touch.

And a +1 for Guthook. I don't even use AWOLS on my section hikes now that I have Guthooks.