PDA

View Full Version : Pot lid / skillet

squeezebox
12-12-2015, 10:42
How successful have you been with using a pot lid as a skillet? What worked and what was a disaster? I'm considering cutting down a TFal 8" skillet from 9 oz to maybe 6. Probably not for hiking but maybe for a bicycle trip. No doubt the curved edge of a real skillet would be better than a straight edge of a pot lid. I still want as light as reasonable on a bicycle also.
Thanks!

Maui Rhino
12-12-2015, 15:12
My SP 900 and 1300 have the skillet lids. They work okay, but to be honest, I've only used it to cook trout on the JMT. I also have a Coleman Max skillet/mini cup lid that I found at the thrift store. It fits inside my SP900 perfectly for baking. Used it last week on an overnighter into Haleakala Natl Park to bake chocolate chip muffins. Yum!

If you're looking for just a lid, check out the titanium 4 Dog Night lids. I have one for each of my SP pots, as well as for the GSI Minimalist. They're so much better than what I was able to fabricate myself. I almost never carry the skillet lids anymore.

http://fourdog.com/snow-peak-titanium-lids/

SWODaddy
12-12-2015, 16:35
I've had great success with the Primus "Li Tech" pot sets which use a fry pan lid. I've even made small omelets with the larger set (on sale now at sierra trading post BTW). The whole kit is a little big unless you're cooking for a group, but I've taken the fry pan by itself numerous times when I wanted to do something special.

The small set is my go-to backpacking kit. I've used it multiple times to make egg sandwiches using English muffins for breakfast. Total weight is 10oz, which isn't bad.

I also have an Evernew 1.3L non-stick Ti pot/fry pan lid combo and sadly, the metal is just too thin for the fry pan to be useful.

saltysack
12-14-2015, 10:54
My SP 900 and 1300 have the skillet lids. They work okay, but to be honest, I've only used it to cook trout on the JMT. I also have a Coleman Max skillet/mini cup lid that I found at the thrift store. It fits inside my SP900 perfectly for baking. Used it last week on an overnighter into Haleakala Natl Park to bake chocolate chip muffins. Yum!

If you're looking for just a lid, check out the titanium 4 Dog Night lids. I have one for each of my SP pots, as well as for the GSI Minimalist. They're so much better than what I was able to fabricate myself. I almost never carry the skillet lids anymore.

http://fourdog.com/snow-peak-titanium-lids/

How did you do the muffins.....not sure if my sp 600 is big enough.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maui Rhino
12-14-2015, 12:03
I used an instant muffin mix (just add water). I put the Coleman mini-skillet inside my SP900, on top of a coil of aluminum flashing about 1" tall. I then placed two foil muffin cups inside the Coleman, and filled them about 1/4 to 1/3 full. My stove for this trip was a CHS-U inside a DIY cone windscreen. I poured in an ounce of fuel, and lit it. After it burned out, I had two half-circle muffins that were fully cooked. The bottom 1/8" of each muffin was a little burnt, so on the second batch, I used a little less than an ounce of fuel. A couple of KFC butter packs, and I had a delicious breakfast.32957. While I didn't take pics of the muffins, here a shot of my cone, SP900, with the 4 Dog Night lid I was talking about.

Find a metal cup that fits inside your pot, and you're golden. A cut-down muffin tin would work too.