PDA

View Full Version : Another year of hoping for AT thru-hike

Damn Yankee
12-13-2015, 10:53
Well, last year I applied for Warrior Hikers but unfortunately I wasn't chosen. I reapplied again for 2016 and received an email last week scheduling my interview. Hoping I will get picked this year.

jdavis7590
12-13-2015, 11:14
Good luck brother. I hope all works out well for you and yours.

bigcranky
12-13-2015, 18:02
Hang in there, man, hope it works out this year.

Mountain Mike
12-13-2015, 19:04
Good Luck!

Damn Yankee
12-13-2015, 21:02
worst that could happen is I don't get chosen, then I'll have to fill out the spring and summer with hunting/fishing and hiking

rocketsocks
12-13-2015, 21:16
just keep on tryin' damn yankee, good luck!

Lone Wolf
12-13-2015, 21:20
Well, last year I applied for Warrior Hikers but unfortunately I wasn't chosen. I reapplied again for 2016 and received an email last week scheduling my interview. Hoping I will get picked this year.

what's the criteria? where did you serve?

shelb
12-14-2015, 01:28
How does it work?

cmoulder
12-14-2015, 11:45
Why can't you do it without belonging to Warrior Hikers?

4eyedbuzzard
12-14-2015, 19:49

worst that could happen is I don't get chosen, then I'll have to fill out the spring and summer with hunting/fishing and hiking

Why can't you do it without belonging to Warrior Hikers?I was wondering the same thing. If you have the time and funds to hunt, fish, and hike anyway, why not just go?

Damn Yankee
12-14-2015, 23:22
Truth be told? Living on my VA compensation makes it very hard financially to be able to save enough or have enough expendable funds to make the hike feasible for me. The WH Org. provides the equipment, trail support and help along the trail which will allow me to do it in a timely manner. At 53 and failing health, if I don't do it soon, it may never happen. Also, not only will I be able to hike but it will allow me to raise awareness of the WH Organization which will help support it and allow me the ability to do something with other veterans.

cmoulder
12-15-2015, 08:25
Good luck in your quest.

I hope you were able to find out last year the reason you weren't chosen and have been able to do things to address those concerns for whomever is doing the choosing.

But if you aren't chosen again — for whatever reason — seems to me it would go a long toward developing a positive relationship with the organization if you volunteered to help those who were chosen when they hike the AT sections near where you live.

Maybe you're already doing this, and taking other proactive steps as well, in which case I salute you.

And I hope you see this for the positive message that it is. Accolades are all fine and dandy, but only concrete steps and a "can do" attitude will move you toward your goal.

Decibel
12-15-2015, 08:35
This my explain the program. http://warriorhike.org

Damn Yankee
12-15-2015, 09:29
Last year, I took in a few hikers when they reached Rockfish Gap. Brought them to my home and let them shower(which they really needed, believe me)wash clothes and feed them copious amounts of food. I also met up with the WH in Waynesboro and had dinner and talked with them. I have actually interacted with Sean at various other functions. I will again support a few hikers this year if not on the trail. My VFW Post has also voted to donate some money towards WH.

Diamondlil
12-15-2015, 10:07
Good luck!! Hope to see you on the trail!!

[emoji457]