PDA

View Full Version : ULA catalyst

sethd513
12-13-2015, 19:47
What's the max weight range you have pushed this bag to and for how long? Since the "limit" is said to be 40lbs I'd like to see if any have pushed past it. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MuddyWaters
12-13-2015, 20:27
my bad, thought circuit.

imscotty
12-13-2015, 20:51
My Catalyst I've carried up to 35-38 pounds total weight. At that weight I found the pack shoulder suspension uncomfortable. I definitely like to keep things below 30.

In terms of durability, I am sure the Catalyst can carry more weight, I just wouldn't want to. Love my Catalyst overall. YMMV.

OCDave
12-13-2015, 20:57
I have started a week long hike with the family with nearly 50 lbs in my Catalyst. I feel the pack handled the weight well. No notable discomfort. With nearly 20 lbs of consumables, the weight dropped quickly; likely less than 40# by day 3 or 4.

My primary concern with overloading the pack was the potential of damaging it. I handled it gingerly, fearing I might be straining the seams. Again, the pack handled the load without issue.

sethd513
12-14-2015, 17:52
My concern is also the seams and what they will take

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coffee
12-14-2015, 18:31
I owned a Catalyst briefly before I decided it was more pack than I needed and switched to a Circuit. If I recall correctly, I tested the Catalyst with over 40 pounds and it carried well. But it had too much volume and I don't really need to carry that much weight. I have 2200 miles on my Circuit and the pack is almost like new and I've had low-mid 30s in it many times. If that's any indication I'd be confident in the Catalyst at 40+.

TUNEDVWGTI
03-17-2016, 11:22
On my PCT thru I averaged in the 30 pound range comfortably with my catalyst. In the Sierras with the ice axe, spikes, and bear can, (it was a really high snow year), I had up to 45 pounds. It held it well enough, but was pushing it...

Just Tom
03-18-2016, 16:46
I owned a Catalyst briefly before I decided it was more pack than I needed and switched to a Circuit. If I recall correctly, I tested the Catalyst with over 40 pounds and it carried well. But it had too much volume and I don't really need to carry that much weight. I have 2200 miles on my Circuit and the pack is almost like new and I've had low-mid 30s in it many times. If that's any indication I'd be confident in the Catalyst at 40+.

I was tempted to get a Circuit over a Catalyst because the Catalyst does seem very large, but my base weight is stuck in the 15-to-20 pound range that ULA states is Catalyst territory.