PDA

View Full Version : My lightweight gear list (sub 10 pound base)

CoconutTree
12-14-2015, 12:36
AT NOBO Mid-April Gear List:
http://lighterpack.com/r/469qnl

Thought i would share my planned gear list for my 2016 hike. This will be my third long distance hike, planning to hike from georgia to harpers ferry starting mid-april. I am recovering from some knee problems, so i am strongly motivated to reduce weight. What works for me won't necessarily work for others. Still it is fun sometimes to see what others carry.

Much of this gear i used on a 6 week section hike this year, and surprisingly, isn't that different than what i carried on my 99 thru hike. Note that many of the weights are estimated and might have missed a few things, so the total base weight is a rough approximation. Maybe add a pound to get a more realistic number, so 8+1=9 pounds.

I placed an asterisk for the gear that will be new for this trip, only 5 items. Everything else i used on this year's section hike.

Comments on my thought process:

shorts with mesh liner - i use this just because that is what i have always used, there might be something lighter or quicker drying

black diamond hiking poles - noticed that gossamer gear has lighter poles. if i ever buy new poles i'll try those next.

rain gear philosophy: the poncho is to keep me dry. the rain shell (jacket, pants, gloves) are to keep me warm when needed. the rain shell is my primary way to keep warm while hiking when i need more than a wind shell. poncho also keeps pack dry and i can take off my pack under my poncho to access gear or for a snack break. overall i find i enjoy rainy days much more with a poncho.

poncho - currently have a sea2summit model, but it is a little too big and it is bright orange, not my favorite color. planning to make one using roy robinson's pattern, sized down to a more normal size.

wind shell - i carry this in addition to a rain shell because it is comfortable over a much wider temperature range. it also is more comfortable for sleeping in and part of my standard sleep wear. wind shell provides insect protection. wind shell is also more durable for everyday use than the waterproofing used in rain gear.

wool sleeping socks - quilt smells better, can wear hiking in an emergency

warm clothes - these are primarily intended to keep me warm at camp. i plan to keep mileage on the low side, so can't rely on hiking to keep me warm all day and don't want to go to bed early to keep warm. they might get some use hiking, but not much. if the down clothing gets wet, my alternative is to get in bed.

down pants - i used army surplus field pants liners on this year's section hike. they were great, but more than twice as heavy as the down pants, so i am planning to upgrade.

uniqlo down jacket - used it on this year's section hike and it was great. there are a few lighter options out there, but this seems good enough. i tried on 2 montbell models, but did not like the loud crinkly fabric they used.

silnylon tarp - i used a plastic drop cloth this year, same as my 99 thru hike, and it only cost $2. silnylon is maybe just slightly lighter. main difference is should pitch tighter for less flapping in the wind and be stronger in storm conditions. cuben tarps are significantly lighter, but have not found a commercially made tarp that has the features i want: mild catenary curves for a tighter pitch and long for extra rain protection. making my own seems like a big project. still thinking about this. also, cuben is really expensive and not very durable.

down quilt - for a mid-april start, i wanted to be prepared for a 20 degree night. i think a 30 degree quilt with some warm clothing would work, but feel better with a 20 degree quilt. Not much difference in cost or weight. My warm weather option is a 50 degree synthetic quilt that i used last summer. For a colder weather trip i can stack the quilts.

pad - used z-lite this summer, and mostly was happy with it, but occasionally found myself wanting something softer. next year will use full length 1/8" gossamer gear pad, with additional layer of z-lite for torso area. i am a side sleeper and do fine with narrow pads, so will cut it down to 14" wide (really). i will also cut the 1/8" pad into 2 pieces, one sized to be a sit pad. it is possible i will ditch the z-lite and get an inflatable pad, but i hope not.

kitchen - pretty standard setup

pack - my 3rd homemade pack. performed well on my section hike this year. the 70d silnylon (2.3 oz/yd^2) is ideal. Very simple design for a very light pack.

camera - canon s95: great image quality for a light weight camera.

soumodeler
12-14-2015, 15:10
Just a note: If you ever wanted to get a cuben tarp made to your specs, email Joe at ZPacks and talk to him. I've ordered several things from them and they were always more than willing to customize it to my liking. They will probably make a fully customized tarp for you if you ask.

CoconutTree
12-14-2015, 17:50
Thanks. I had talked to ZPacks about making a flat tarp, but in the end decided i really wanted catenary cut. I never asked if they could do that, but that might be worth looking into.

Sandy of PA
12-14-2015, 20:41
What are you going to do when the bugs start eating you in New Jersey?

CoconutTree
12-14-2015, 21:38
Well, only planning to go to Harpers Ferry, but hypothetically if i was in jersey and bugs were bad, first i would try a combination of shell clothes and deet. If that wasn't enough, i would look into bug nets. i have used the sea2summit pyramid at 3 oz, and there are other options if that isn't enough.

sparky2000
12-23-2015, 10:30
Fire? Are you a wood burner - lighter or matches only.
F/o? small furnace cat or larger units?
Gas canister? From the small to the large.
None of the above - don't cook?

solobip
12-23-2015, 16:00
Alcohol stove.

CoconutTree
12-23-2015, 22:36
sparky, huh?

Back to the gear list, i am contemplating swapping the 8oz down jacket with a synthethic jacket. This is to help when hiking on cold, windy, rainy days. I own a 16oz synthetic jacket, but lighter would be to use a 12oz army field jacket liner. It looks like i can modify it into a vest with detachable sleeves, which is more useful for hiking than a full jacket.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/105555-DYI-Synthetic-Vest-Made-from-a-M65-Field-Jacket-Liner-Final-weight-8-2-oz

CarlZ993
12-23-2015, 22:59
Nice ultralight list. Unfortunately, all my suggestions will add weight instead of reducing it. I'd substitute a dedicated headlamp for the squeeze LED light (I'm showing my personal preference here). Ex: the Black Diamond Ion light (2 X AA batteries) would be about ~1.6 oz. I swap out the Sawyer Mini for the Sawyer Squeeze for the filter (faster flow rate; disclosure: I like & use AquaMira drops). That would add about an oz. I'd add a home-made pot cozy. Probably add ~1.2 oz or so on a solo pot but it might save you some fuel weight over time. I'd consider a more cushy sleeping pad. If I wanted a close-cell foam pad, the Ridgerest would be my choice for comfort, the Z-Rest for compactness.

Good luck on your hike.

CoconutTree
12-23-2015, 23:39
Carl, thanks for the feedback. i think all those substitutions sound reasonable. I hiked 6 weeks this summer and i'm not sure if i ever used my light, so a coin light seems like more than enough. sawyer mini IS slow, but not slow enough to bother me. the homemade pot cozy might happen at some point. i like the ridgerest as one of the layers for car camping and winter backpacking, maybe i will switch to that if i decide the z-rest isn't comfortable enough.

i have used chemical water treatment before, but i really like to stop beside a cool stream and quench my thirst there, not wait for the chemicals to work. i find myself carrying more water when i use chemical treatment to help compensate for the waiting.

CarlZ993
12-24-2015, 20:11
Carl, thanks for the feedback. i think all those substitutions sound reasonable. I hiked 6 weeks this summer and i'm not sure if i ever used my light, so a coin light seems like more than enough. sawyer mini IS slow, but not slow enough to bother me. the homemade pot cozy might happen at some point. i like the ridgerest as one of the layers for car camping and winter backpacking, maybe i will switch to that if i decide the z-rest isn't comfortable enough.

i have used chemical water treatment before, but i really like to stop beside a cool stream and quench my thirst there, not wait for the chemicals to work. i find myself carrying more water when i use chemical treatment to help compensate for the waiting.
Unfortunately, I must get up several times a night so a headlamp is something I need regularly. Again, good luck on your hike & I hope Santa brings you some new gear. :)

Malto
12-25-2015, 12:03
sparky, huh?

Back to the gear list, i am contemplating swapping the 8oz down jacket with a synthethic jacket. This is to help when hiking on cold, windy, rainy days. I own a 16oz synthetic jacket, but lighter would be to use a 12oz army field jacket liner. It looks like i can modify it into a vest with detachable sleeves, which is more useful for hiking than a full jacket.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/105555-DYI-Synthetic-Vest-Made-from-a-M65-Field-Jacket-Liner-Final-weight-8-2-oz

Is there really a need for the scenario you describe? It can imagine ever hiking with my insulation layer and rain. If it's raining it's warm enough (for me) to wear a base layer and rain jacket or wind shirt at the most. Even in colder temperatures it is extremely rare for me to hike with an insulation layer. So, in this case down would be the right answer unless you plan on sitting around in the rain without shelter.

CoconutTree
12-25-2015, 13:48
Is it overkill? Maybe. My base layer is a thin merino wool tshirt. Using that and my rain shell, with wind and rain, at about 45F seems ok, but even then if i want to stop i have to add a layer. I had days like this on the AT in late may of this year.

If it was low 30s and windy and rainy, as it might be in april, i am thinking it would be more of a struggle to stay warm. I'm sure i could get by, but it would be nice to have the option to warm up without worrying about getting the down wet. I try to be a bit conservative about staying warm and not to go overboard in trimming ounces in that category.

Another option is a heavier base layer, but i beleive that would be more heavy and less warm if i really needed the extra warmth.

hayshaker170
12-27-2015, 12:05
Disclaimer: I am a newbie section hiker.

But I noticed you listed 1oz for your alcohol fuel bottle. I would think you would use that much fuel in one day. I am using a home made Fancy feast stove this year and was planning to carry an 8oz flip top bottle of alcohol.

CoconutTree
12-27-2015, 12:28
Real hikers only need an ounce of fuel. Just kidding. 1 oz is the weight of the empty bottle. I did not include weight of food, water, and fuel in my base weight.

hayshaker170
12-27-2015, 13:28
Ah, ok that makes sense.
By the way, you could save .4oz on the spoon by switching to Sea to Summit long titanium spoon which I weighed at .3oz. That should take you to the next level. :)

bemental
12-27-2015, 14:38
My concern with your sub-10 base weight is that it doesn't include things you'll actually be taking :P

Malto
12-27-2015, 21:45
Is it overkill? Maybe. My base layer is a thin merino wool tshirt. Using that and my rain shell, with wind and rain, at about 45F seems ok, but even then if i want to stop i have to add a layer. I had days like this on the AT in late may of this year.

If it was low 30s and windy and rainy, as it might be in april, i am thinking it would be more of a struggle to stay warm. I'm sure i could get by, but it would be nice to have the option to warm up without worrying about getting the down wet. I try to be a bit conservative about staying warm and not to go overboard in trimming ounces in that category.

Another option is a heavier base layer, but i beleive that would be more heavy and less warm if i really needed the extra warmth.

I just got back from a weekend hike that was quite wet with temperatures between 38 and 50 deg. I hiked with very thin base layer and wind shirt on the colder day. Even with just a super lightweight base layer and a wind shirt I had to unzip to keep from overheating. I don't see how you could hike with an insulating layer under a rain jacket and not overheat. Then you will either sweat it out or take the layers on and off anyway. I think it is unrealistic to think a clothing solution in the conditions you describe will work while both hiking and when stopped. But as always CYOW.

Connie
12-28-2015, 06:46
No tarp stakes?
Here are tent stakes for your consideration. https://www.geargrams.com/list?id=22878

CoconutTree
12-28-2015, 16:55
I just got back from a weekend hike that was quite wet with temperatures between 38 and 50 deg. I hiked with very thin base layer and wind shirt on the colder day. Even with just a super lightweight base layer and a wind shirt I had to unzip to keep from overheating. I don't see how you could hike with an insulating layer under a rain jacket and not overheat. Then you will either sweat it out or take the layers on and off anyway. I think it is unrealistic to think a clothing solution in the conditions you describe will work while both hiking and when stopped. But as always CYOW.

There are times when it is raining and i am a bit damp and start to feel cold and i want to add a layer. If i have a synthetic layer, i can just put it on and get warmed up, and not worry too much about getting it damp. Once i am warmed up again, i can take it off. Having this flexibility is nice.

If i don't have a synthetic layer, i then have to decide do i want risk getting the down wet, or should i just hike faster and stop less than i would prefer. This can lead to bad decisions sometimes. My hiking is generally at a more relaxed pace, stopping whenever something interesting catches my attention. That is why I am out there hiking. If I had to, i can make the down jacket work, but i think it would be more enjoyable for my style of hiking and also provide some added safety with a synthetic layer. At only a 4oz difference, I think the tradeoff makes sense for me.

CoconutTree
12-28-2015, 17:04
hayshaker, what is that fancy titanium stuff?

Connie, the woods is full of tarp stakes. I don't carry tarp stakes for the same reason i don't carry firewood. Also, i sort of enjoy the process of figuring out how i want to anchor my tarp each night. Yes, i am strange in that way.

RockDoc
12-29-2015, 02:13
I know from experience that freezing your ass is a high probability if you start north in early April, depending on the weather.

You are not specific about your warm clothes... I would prescribe a merino wool base layer, from head to toe.
Down coat or sweater yes, but down pants?? OK maybe.

CoconutTree
12-29-2015, 14:55
My gear list has every item of clothing i am taking, that isn't specific?

I could take wool long johns instead of down pants, but that would not save any weight and would not be as warm. I don't need a layer on my legs for hiking. i don't care if they get wet. Why should i carry wool?

When i switch to my summer bag, i plan to use the down pants to extend the rating until it gets warmer. I also like to travel and i am looking for a camping setup that will fit into my carry-on sized travel bag. I think down pants/jacket combo inplace of a sleeping bag might work for that when the weather is warm enough.

Cheyou
12-30-2015, 13:02
How do u charge the battery bank Don't u need a 2A wall charger, charge cables ? I c a stove listed but no wind screen or other cooking tools. Sewing/ repair kit.

thom

Cheyou
12-30-2015, 13:38
How do u charge the battery bank Don't u need a 2A wall charger, charge cables ? I c a stove listed but no wind screen or other cooking tools. Sewing/ repair kit.

thom
I c you changed your list . Warmer quilt is a good idea . Window shrink film works well for a ground cloth. It will b on sale soon .

Thom

CoconutTree
12-30-2015, 16:03
Thom, huh? must be talking about another gear list, mine has not changed since i started this thread

Cheyou
12-30-2015, 16:20
Thom, huh? must be talking about another gear list, mine has not changed since i started this thread
Yes I was on the wrong gear list !! Nice light kit . How do u charge the battery pack ? I need a wall charger for mine . Sorry for the mixup

Thom

CoconutTree
12-30-2015, 17:46
No problem. Camera battery will last a few hundred shots, so it will need a charge about once a month for my level of usage. It needs a wall charger which I will put in a bounce box along with extra guide book sections, cell phone, and whatever else i don't need on the trail.

With 2 batteries, i could leave the charger at home, and swap batteries via mail, with someone at home charging the batteries and mailing them back.

hayshaker170
12-30-2015, 23:53
[QUOTE=CoconutTree;2028359]hayshaker, what is that fancy titanium stuff?

I guess I was fooled by it's titanium color, I guess it's actually 7075 aluminum. I thought I had at least one cool titanium thing, so thanks for ruining it for me. My gear coolness factor was just downgraded. Ha ha!

Dogwood
12-31-2015, 01:54
I recognize redundancy in a rain poncho, wind pants, rain pants, and rain jacket. I'm assuming your rain pants and rain jacket are MB Versalite pants and MB Versalite jacket with your listed wts. These both breathe decently (decent MVTR specs)that they MAY be able to suffice also as wind pants and/or wind shirt. I had a MB Versalite Rain Jacket that I employed as a rain jacket, wind jacket, for sleeping in, easing insect pressure, and for a bit of warmth conservation at times.

My concern is the unpredictable nature of April into May. Can snow, sleet, rain for 3 days straight, be cool, then a few days later be 80*/muggy/sunny/muddy. What will keep you warm, comfortable and dry on your lower half as you hike in several days of cold possibly freezing heavy rain? Not really feasible hiking in down pants that are part of your sleep system? How about mixing in light wt convertible pants or silk wt bottoms into the mix and doing away with straight wind pants. This way you don't add wt but have less dedicated apparel adding the flexibilty/verstilty thta ypu might want with the April/may weather. I'm not saying to do this necessarily. I'm saying consider it.

Curious as to what model is your wind jacket? Again, I'm not recognizing you hiking comfortably in the Uniglo down jacket. Great for camp but wearing while hiking ehhh? I like your idea of a synthetic jacket maybe something like a lite wt Patagonia Nano Puff. Perhaps even starting with a light to med wt synthetic vest rather than a jacket. Throw a LS light wt shirt w/ a deep chest zip into that combo w/ the merino tee. This covers you in camp too. Likewise the convertible pants and/or silk wt synthetic bottom are worn while hiking and in camp. Have you ever or how often have you worn the shorts, windpants, rain pants together? with the rain poncho? with the Uniglo Down jacket? Not seeing that scenario for your hike very often!

As said Joe Valesco will make you a customized CF tarp perhaps even a cat cut for you. Durability of CF cat traps is a product of several factors.Your usage, construction methods, material selected, etc If you want a well made customized 8 CF cat cut tarp Ron Bell over at Mountain Laurel Designs has done SHWEET CF customized sized tarps for me. Rec MLD highly for a CF tarp!

I'm a tarper and cowboy camper. I have somewhat advanced UL kits. FWIW, and I say this respectfully to you, and this is NOT that huge a deal, but your kit wt still can be trimmed slightly by several ozs quite easily from what I can see. Although possible, especially when I get into the gram weenie zone, I MIGHT consider not bringing along stakes and using what I find. On your hike though, IF you do indeed plan on tarping in the heavy spring rains of the AT, I personally can find it a PITA to find impromptu stakes for my tarp needs in a downpour when a set of 6-8 Ti or Al stakes can be had for 2 oz maybe less. All your call though.

It's my guess you'll have a few nights where it will be so cold you'll be well below the 20* EE quilt rating. Not that big of a deal for tenters w/ the rest of your kit but with a an open A frame tarp configured shelter, and that I'm assuming your cold comfort zone adaptability MIGHT be compromised by you being from San Jose, it is something you might want to give thought to. PERHAPS, head to a AT lean to early on the coldest projected night temps? Perhaps, use the tarp somehow as insulation under or around you in the lean to? Those few extra degrees out of the wind and w/ the barest of extra insulation from the tarp can make a difference in sleep comfort.

CoconutTree
12-31-2015, 17:54
Dogwood, Thanks for the well thought out reply.

The poncho + wind shell (jacket+pants) + rain shell (jacket+pants)combination is not common, but one i find very functional. I think rain shells make poor substitutes for wind shells, and actually even my curent wind shell isn't as breathable as i would prefer. I will use my wind shell almost every day i am on the trail. Rain jacket/pants is too hot, too narrow of a temperature range, and the waterproofing layer is too fragile, for daily use. It is primarily too help keep me warm in cold rainy conditions, and occasionally to supplemental warmth in dry conditions.

If i have a rain shell, why carry a poncho? Aren't they redundant? Poncho works great in the rain, it keeps you reasonably dry, it has some ventilation, and you can access the contents of your pack without rain getting in, it makes it easy to stop and take a break and eat a snack. It just isn't very warm in cold windy rain. Rain shells, provide more coverage for cold conditions, but it is only partially successful in keeping you dry, becoming much less dry the more you use them. You stay much dryer with poncho over the rain shell, and therefore warmer. You'll still get wet eventually in heavy rain, but it helps. You might call this a luxury, but i think the combination is functional enough to justify the weight. Without this combo, you need warmer clothing to compensate.

For 3 days of freezing rain: Using only poncho, rain shell, merino t shirt and nylon shorts, i should be able to get by, but I admit it would be challenging. Adding a synthetic puffy top makes it much more manageable. I don't think a layer for my legs is that important, while hiking. If i do want to wear the down pants, i am not worried about getting them wet, because the 20 degree down quilt should keep me warm at night without the need for down pants.

The MLD tarps do look pretty sweet. I have been looking more into DIY and now i am actually leaning towards making my own.

I am starting in mid april. You think a few nights will be below 20 then? I think there will be a few nights below 30, but unlikely to go below 20. I haven't tested the lower limits of this setup, but suspect it can handle below 20 if it had to. It is interesting that you think a lean-to is warmer than sleeping on the ground. I always thought it was the other way.

Weather-man
01-01-2016, 22:21
wrong thread

Weather-man
01-01-2016, 22:24
Ha. See my post above. Wrong thread! Oh well

Dogwood
01-02-2016, 19:17
You have thought things out for yourself and that's what's most important. Some of my comment I should have rephrased more as asking rather than telling.

"I am starting in mid april. You think a few nights will be below 20 then? I think there will be a few nights below 30, but unlikely to go below 20. I haven't tested the lower limits of this setup, but suspect it can handle below 20 if it had to."

Determining weather as an absolute, especially since it can be influenced by many things(elevation, exposure, winds, etc) is certainly iffy in unpredictable April. IMO the BEST that can be done is allowing for a range of conditions in April. You're doing that. However, after considering historical avgs, I positively do recommend you take a kit for April, possibly early May nights, that addresses below freezing temps WITHOUT wind chill and wetness factored in that all can rob heat. This is perhaps more important for you as a A frame config. tarper compared to an enclosed tenter.

Tarp specs, set up configurations, CS selection, depth of your tarping experience you bring to the show, integration of other gear in your sleep system, etc definitely factor into your sleep comfort. I really like your 120" ridgeline length for the AT in spring and since no bivy is being included. I assume no excessive front pointing is part of the design. Since your EE Revelation quilt is a long I suspect you're 6ft+. You're going to want the extra ridgeline length. If you haven't made your DIY CF tarp yet you might consider a trapezoidal tarp with the 7 ft width on your foot end and a bit wider on the head end, maybe something about 8 ft. The extra coverage might be appreciated on the wet AT in spring/summer especially if utilizing lean-tos is not a major part of your hike plan. The added wt is quite minimal for the appreciated coverage for the AT. I'm relating this from past experiences. Don't be stupid light. It's the wet east coast AT not San Jose, not the PCT, AZT or even the Sierra. Curious: is your EE Revelation constructed of Down Tek and/or customized with a more weather repellent fabric footbox? These quilt spec questions aren't game changers on the AT but going onto more remote wetter hikes it might be. It's all about finding that sweet zone that keeps changing based on different hikes.

"It is interesting that you think a lean-to is warmer than sleeping on the ground. I always thought it was the other way."

It depends. I could sleep on the ground cowboy camping nestled under or in a grove of thick evergreens or between heat sinking boulders with a thick insulated ground layer of duff or evergreen boughs with an appropriately integrated kit and it be warmer than a drafty older AT lean to in a middle of the lean to position with 4 other damp ATers with wet gear surrounding me. Personally, I like taking the least draftiest position in AT lean tos which is usually a corner position in well built newer non drafty lean tos perhaps upstairs if the lean to is on two levels. I find upstairs in corner spots is usually most out of the wind or the least exposed on the AT. Don't have all the downstairs foot traffic and wet gear to contend with either. NOT all AT lean tos are equal. You might consider which way the rain/wind etc is coming from in relation to their open faces, how many others are in the lean to, what is their awareness like, etc. Sometimes(often?) I find it better to move on and camp away from AT lean tos!

CoconutTree
01-02-2016, 21:04
There are certainly no guarantees about the weather.

My initial plan was a 6.5x9.5 silnylon flat tarp, which matches the effective area of my current 7x10 plastic sheet tarp after accounting for the effects of the sheetbend corner tieouts. I used a 6x10 plastic sheet tarp to thru hike the AT in 99, which worked, but was confining in wet weather. Cuben is light enough that sizing up makes a lot of sense, therefore 7x10. That is the flat-tarp equivalent size, with cat curves, the outer dimensions will be 7'8x10'2. I am not planning to do trapazoidal shape. I am 5'11 BTW. The 9 foot ridgeline tarps i often see sold make no sense to me, although you can always toss a rain jacket over your feet or look for natural cover to enhance your shelter.

I ordered the long/wide quilt for extra room to wrap up on cold nights. I am neither tall or wide. A little extra goes a long way. My first homemade quilt was a bit too trim and I will never make that mistake again.

My quilt will have downtek, but as far as i can tell there is no evidence to support the marketing claims that it provides any benefit for the user. My down jacket has a similar treatment and at least it doesn't appear to be harmful. I noticed western mountaineering's bags do not use this stuff.

I enjoy staying in lean-tos sometimes, but it can get a little cramped in bad weather. I rode out a severe storm warning night under my tarp last year on the AT and it was much more restful than it would have been to squeeze into the nearby shelter.

Dogwood
01-02-2016, 23:43
I missed you saying that you did a 99 AT thru. My mistake also that I assumed you wanted a gear review rather than just a sharing of your kit possibly comparing it to others.

I'd say you already know the April-early May weather scenario, lean to scenarios, etc so need to ask or confirm with anyone here about what you've already personally experienced? Hmm? I respectfully ask, have you considerde there are perhaps better places to make ind depth light wt/UL kit comparisons?

You seem to be contradicting some of your words and actions.

"The 9 foot(118 ' or so!) ridgeline tarps i often see sold make no sense to me,...." If that is the case why are you contemplating making your own 7'x10' (120" ridgeline?) tarp?

"...as far as i can tell there is no evidence to support the marketing claims that it provides any benefit for the user." If that is so why does your EE Revelation reflect the use of Down Tek in its choice of insulation?

"I noticed western mountaineering's bags do not use this stuff." Currently they don't but they have considered using it. I totally respect WM for their reasons and design standards in this regard...so much so that I have satisfactorily owned four different model WM sleeping bags. IMO, WM takes a different design approach in conserving down loft/warmth in their sleeping bag designs. Whether one recognizes that as a more or less valid design is up to personal opinion. 1) their sleeping bag temp ratings can be a bit conservative in the first place so slight loss of loft/temp rating may not be as critical as other generously temp rated sleeping bags in general wide spread conditions 2) WM, IMHO, WM has choice quality down from all the WM bags I've seen cut open to examine the quality of the down. IMO, not all down quality is equal across a wide selection of spec parameters! 3) WM, at least in large part, approaches down loft conservation by offering several different high quality high thread count shell fabrics with very good quality DWR treatments 4) you're comparing quilt design with high end hooded sleeping bag design. It's a slightly different animal IMHO. 5) For the most part I recognize a quilt choice of options to be wider in scope than sleeping bag options. Hence I see hydrophobic down a slightly more common option with quilt choices than sleeping bag choices.

I currently have two EE quilts. Pleased with all my WM sleeping bags and EE quilts. Different gear for different conditions.

FWIW, I have an FF Swallow UL 900 fp in untreated down that I also thoroughly have been pleased with. This sleeping bag also has a excellent quality Pertex Endurance UL shell with a quality DWR treatment.

CoconutTree
01-03-2016, 10:02
Sorry for the confusion, not my intention. Started the thread saying this will be my third long distance hike and that i thru hiked in 99. The "Ultra light hikers forum" on whiteblaze is the wrong place to discuss and compare lightweight gear for hiking the AT? On my 99 hike I started mid may, and never had weather under 40 in that spring. April weather will be a new experience.

For a tarp, I think 9' is too short, 9.5' just long enough for my 5'11 frame, and 10' more reasonable when a light weight material is available. Also if the tarp is longer on the ridgeline than the sides, then the effective length is less than ridgeline length. If i was one of the taller hikers on the trail, even 10' might be too short. Stomach sleepers will also need a bit more length and side sleepers a bit less length. I am a side sleeper so that helps.

I use down tek because it was the default choice. No other reason. :)

lonehiker
01-03-2016, 10:30
Not taking your puffy is anathema to many (if not most) on these forums.

CoconutTree
01-03-2016, 11:49
huh? I am taking a puffy.

rainydaykid
03-10-2016, 18:06
Sorry for the confusion, not my intention. Started the thread saying this will be my third long distance hike and that i thru hiked in 99. The "Ultra light hikers forum" on whiteblaze is the wrong place to discuss and compare lightweight gear for hiking the AT? On my 99 hike I started mid may, and never had weather under 40 in that spring. April weather will be a new experience.

For a tarp, I think 9' is too short, 9.5' just long enough for my 5'11 frame, and 10' more reasonable when a light weight material is available. Also if the tarp is longer on the ridgeline than the sides, then the effective length is less than ridgeline length. If i was one of the taller hikers on the trail, even 10' might be too short. Stomach sleepers will also need a bit more length and side sleepers a bit less length. I am a side sleeper so that helps.

I use down tek because it was the default choice. No other reason. :)

I'm 5'11, and I've used an 8" ridgeline for years with no issues. I have a homemade tarptent design that uses a ridgeline clipped around a tree and mosquito netting on both ends, and I can fold in the front and rear for warmth in winter.

I'll post my gear list here soon, 10.5lbs base, good to 20 or so.

rainydaykid
03-10-2016, 18:07
mean 8' ridgeline lol

GreenBlaze
03-11-2016, 16:04
camera - canon s95: great image quality for a light weight camera.

Agree 100%. I started with a Canon SD630 back in 2006 and was blown away at the quality. Eventually upgraded to the S95 which was amazing (and still is), and now I own the S120 which is spectacular and small. I'm still debating carrying it with me because I know my iPhone 6S+ can't touch it and neither can my GoPro.

AngryGerman
04-12-2016, 13:40
What are you going to do when the bugs start eating you in New Jersey?

Sandy; wash w/lemongrass soap and use lemongrass essential oil to keep the bugs away. A .03oz vile is all you need of lemongrass oil to refill once in a while. Bugs absolutely hate lemongrass and they also hate tea tree oil. I also wash my clothes in a natural un-scented soap along with all my hiking gear being sure to keep perfume smells away as well.

I hike in the Adirondacks and Maine and this has been my recipe for success over the years and I have not been disappointed. I meet a British couple at Abol Bridge a few years ago and when I saw them at Jo Mary Road(quitting the trail already) they were covered head to toe in bug bites. This couple used all the bug sprays, DEET and Permithian(not spelled correctly) that they could find to include head nets and still got mobbed.
How did the Native Americans keep the bugs away? LEMONGRASS!
At the end of our conversation the British couple asked why I had no bug bites and the bugs weren't swarming me I informed them of the miracles of lemongrass.

zelph
04-12-2016, 20:36
Some items in this guys list of items might be helpful to some:

9 Pound – Full Comfort – Lightweight Backpacking Gear List

http://www.adventurealan.com/comfort-lightweight-backpacking-gear-list/

Shonryu
04-12-2016, 22:12
I didnt read all of the comments but I dont think I saw any mention of a trekking umbrella. You can get them off of Amazon, Gossamer Gear, and Zpacks and they weight 8.1oz. Then ditch the poncho. This will eliminate you getting cold from rain because it wont be touching anything except for below your waste. Lots of options for making it work hands free since you use polls.