PDA

View Full Version : Good food?

ChuckT
12-14-2015, 12:42
Is there such a thing? I'm now on a (recommended (!) hah) lo-salt diet. So I'm thinking Freeze Dried foods are out of the question. No I have not looked at labeling. Don't have enough nerve, probably lack of character on my part (!).
Seriously though, are there any really healthy Freeze Dried entrees out there?

Hosh
12-14-2015, 13:15
Buy a dehydrator and make your own meals. You can limit the amount of sodium. Search youtube.com for Babelfish5, he has some great recipes, many of which call for salt. Either leave it out altogether or use a substitute.

I store my dehydrated food in a glass mason jar, vacuumed sealed. It will last several seasons in a freezer. Without salt, the shelf life will probably be less.

I was in Wally World and saw a 4 shelf Excaliber for $100.

HawRiverBrewer
12-14-2015, 13:51
maybe a dumb question, but how do you vacuum seal a glass mason jar?

Dogwood
12-14-2015, 13:57
Sure are, lots of different brands, versions, and varieties that include or are "healthier" alternatives. Learn to read labels so you know what's in your food and what is acceptable to you based on how you define "healthy." FWIW, some prepacked meal and ingredient sources I like are Outdoor Herbivore, Mary Jane Farms, and Pack Lite Foods. But, even name brand freeze dried backpacking companies offer varieties that are perhaps acceptable for you such as Low/Reduced salt, Gluten Free, and Vegan/vegetarian selections.

http://outdoorherbivore.com/

http://www.backcountryfood.org/

http://www.packlitefoods.com/cgi-bin/ccp51/cp-app.pl

http://www.outdoorlife.com/blogs/hunting/2014/05/backwoods-gourmet-best-backpacking-meals

If you want to do your own meals from scratch or even buy some of their meals I like some of the recipes here too: http://www.backpackingchef.com/best-backpacking-recipes.html

nsherry61
12-14-2015, 14:13
I totally appreciate the need for, and frustration in, finding pre-packaged low-salt backpacking food. And, for shorter, and/or cooler trips, I can see wanting to maintain a lower salt diet than the typical pre-packaged foods. BUT, I also suspect that when hiking longer hikes and/or hiking in hotter weather, low salt is not necessary and may even lead to problems with electrolyte balance in your body. I would talk to your doctor or dietitian about the need and/or wisdom of maintaining a low-salt diet under sustain, high-activity situations like being on the trail, especially on longer trips and in hotter weather.

ChuckT
12-14-2015, 16:09
Good advice all, thanks. Waiting tests now and physical scheduled for Feb. Doctor says I should last and won't begin to smell till after😊.

Hosh
12-14-2015, 17:20
maybe a dumb question, but how do you vacuum seal a glass mason jar?

Some of the FoodSaver vacuum sealer have a "Canister" option. It's a small hose that attaches to a jar sealer, http://www.foodsaver.com/jar-sealers/?gclid=CPiRzKuj3MkCFYVFaQodU8IFzA&kwid=104978734x1979976970x57127330

It is much better than doing a vacuum sealed bag, especially with hard, pointy pastas.

ChuckT
12-14-2015, 19:18
If memory serves you don't seal a mason jar. You boil-sterilize the jars and the lids, fill the jars with hot stuff, and the lids screw on (they have rubber seals). When the jars cool the air pressure _outside_ the jar along with the partial vacuum _inside_ holds the seal closed.

Hosh
12-14-2015, 19:58
If memory serves you don't seal a mason jar. You boil-sterilize the jars and the lids, fill the jars with hot stuff, and the lids screw on (they have rubber seals). When the jars cool the air pressure _outside_ the jar along with the partial vacuum _inside_ holds the seal closed.

That's right for canning fresh foods either using a hot bath or pressure cooker method. The foods are cooked and the jar creates a vacuum as it cools.

I vacuum seal the mason jars with dried, dehydrated food. By removing the oxygen, the foods will have a longer shelf life.

Vacuum sealing fresh foods, ie tomatoes etc. is incorrect and dangerous.

HawRiverBrewer
12-17-2015, 11:03
in regards to the foodsaver mason jar sealing, does the white plastic "lid" stay on the jars? or do they seat the mason lids?
I assume I would need as many foodsaver "lids" as jars I plan to seal.

ChuckT
12-17-2015, 11:15
I notice Mason jars in a local market in October so they are still available. I recall the lids as being 2-piece, the lid and the retaining ring (threaded section). Each jar needed a lid and both jar and lids MUST be sterilized.
Some lids had a replaceable red-rubber seal others had a bonded white rubberized plastic seal.
When the caps were 2-piece it was possible to unscrew the retainer while the cap and seal stayed in place. BUT once the retainer were loosened the integrity of the vacuum seal would be doubtful.

Starchild
12-17-2015, 14:08
I would suggest asking the good doctor if under thru hiking conditions if the extra salt would be OK.

---

My understanding of the mason jars is that you boil them and the contents with the lid cap on but not the screw part of the lid. This sterilizes everything. Then you screw down the screw lid sealing the sterilized components

Hosh
12-17-2015, 14:23
in regards to the foodsaver mason jar sealing, does the white plastic "lid" stay on the jars? or do they seat the mason lids?
I assume I would need as many foodsaver "lids" as jars I plan to seal.

The Mason jar is comprised of 3 pieces, the jar, a flat steel lid and a threaded steel ring. The white foodsaver jar sealer fits over the jar with the flat lid in place. After pulling a vacuum, the white jar sealer is removed and the the threaded steel ring is screwed on. You can reuse the jar sealer and only need one of each size, regular and wide. I find the wide jars are easier to pour out the dehydrated contents. We also use this method for flour, rice, sugar etc as it keeps things fresher.

Hosh
12-17-2015, 14:28
I notice Mason jars in a local market in October so they are still available. I recall the lids as being 2-piece, the lid and the retaining ring (threaded section). Each jar needed a lid and both jar and lids MUST be sterilized.
Some lids had a replaceable red-rubber seal others had a bonded white rubberized plastic seal.
When the caps were 2-piece it was possible to unscrew the retainer while the cap and seal stayed in place. BUT once the retainer were loosened the integrity of the vacuum seal would be doubtful.

The retainer ring protects the lid from being dislodged. The lids are very tightly sealed and require a fair amount of effort to break the seal. Many canning recipes/instructions recommend loosening the retainer ring prior to storage as it can trap water and cause the ring to rust.

Hosh
12-17-2015, 14:32
I would suggest asking the good doctor if under thru hiking conditions if the extra salt would be OK.

---

My understanding of the mason jars is that you boil them and the contents with the lid cap on but not the screw part of the lid. This sterilizes everything. Then you screw down the screw lid sealing the sterilized components

If you did this, water would leak into the jars. In a hot water bath, the jars need to be submerged and covered with water. The jars are sealed with the retainer, placed in the hot water bath, cooked and then form a vacuum as they cool. You can hear the lids "pop" as they seal. The lids should be concave for a good seal.