PDA

View Full Version : Ticks in December!?

The Phoenix
12-14-2015, 21:16
I went for a local hike today and the woods were crawling pretty good with ticks. Christmas is at the end of next week and these dang things are still roaming around looking to suck blood & spread diseases... :confused:

I was driving home and a few little ones were crawling on me. I'm ready for some snow to come, but with the 60 degree weather up here in Southern New England... I'm not sure when that first snow is going to come. I've never been too into the Global Warming hoopla, but ticks in mid-December sucks big time.

If you are hiking up in PA, NY, NJ, CT, MA... be cautious... ticks are still out & about!

sketcher709
12-15-2015, 07:37
This mild weather is a result of el nino, not climate change (global warming) which typically brings the severe cold weather in winter. Hence the change from 'global warming' to 'climate change'.

BTW, even Exxon acknowledges climate change and supports actions to minimize impact of fossil fuels.

Traveler
12-15-2015, 09:19
Ticks survive cold weather very well and are typically active when temperatures are over 30*, which really doesn't have much to do with climatic change as much as it has to do with localized weather conditions or patters.

Sarcasm the elf
12-15-2015, 09:28
To summarize: Ticks enjoy being annoying and will do so whenever they are given the chance.

squeezebox
12-15-2015, 10:17
I asked my Vet a while ago about ticks. He said it takes several days of around freezing weather to knock them out for the season.

Slo-go'en
12-15-2015, 12:07
This mild weather is a result of el nino, not climate change (global warming) which typically brings the severe cold weather in winter. Hence the change from 'global warming' to 'climate change'.

And this "Godzilla" El Nino is the result of unusually warm ocean temps. Air and land surfaces can heat and cool quickly but once the oceans start warming up, they stay warm for a very long time and that is going to be the real issue. Warm oceans fuel strong storms as can be seen by the latest big typhoon to hit the Philippines and what is pounding the West coast now.

Anyway, snow helps the ticks survive the winter by insulating them from the extreme cold. If we do get a week of really cold temps before there is any snow, that should knock down the tick population a bunch.

The Phoenix
12-15-2015, 14:44
Alas, I am now educated in ticks, Godzilla El Ninos, and Exxon's thoughts on climate change :cool:

Thank you for clearing up my confusion!

shawnlakenorman
12-18-2015, 10:24
Alas, I am now educated in ticks, Godzilla El Ninos, and Exxon's thoughts on climate change :cool:

Thank you for clearing up my confusion!
Lol. Climate change. Read a good book years ago by Clive Cussler. That used a resource in the beginning chapter. The world has been going through climate change since the beginning of time. Yes I believe human have an impact in the change with how we live. But animals had an impact in the past before humans were more populated. Dinosaurs had an impact. We will always have climate change.

Sent from my SM-J100VPP using Tapatalk

Traveler
12-18-2015, 10:27
Apparently the last 12,000 or so years that have been relatively stable in terms of climate is changing. Not many dinosaurs involved in that, but an interesting theory.

pauly_j
12-18-2015, 10:40
Humans are massively accelerating climate change. Yes, there has always been a cycle of heating and cooling but people denying that we are messing things up are the biggest problem.

johnnybgood
12-18-2015, 11:05
QUICK !! Grab the wheel , we're headed down a slippery slope .

Don't get me wrong, I hear what your saying ....we just need to stay on course .

TexasBob
12-18-2015, 11:10
Apparently the last 12,000 or so years that have been relatively stable in terms of climate is changing. Not many dinosaurs involved in that, but an interesting theory.

I don't want to argue about what is causing climate change or if it is real but the climate has been variable over the last 10,000 years. Changes in climate where a big factor in the decline of the Cliff Dwellers in the southwestern US. A much more favorable climate in the Middle East led to rise of the great civilizations there in ancient times. Changes in climate caused famine in Europe in the Middle Ages and caused the Vikings to abandon Greenland.

Sarcasm the elf
12-18-2015, 11:32
I don't want to argue about what is causing climate change or if it is real but the climate has been variable over the last 10,000 years. Changes in climate where a big factor in the decline of the Cliff Dwellers in the southwestern US. A much more favorable climate in the Middle East led to rise of the great civilizations there in ancient times. Changes in climate caused famine in Europe in the Middle Ages and caused the Vikings to abandon Greenland.

Not to mention that sea level has risen by over 100 feet since the last glacial maximum (ice age) about 26,000 years ago. Heck, sea level has risen by about a foot since the 1800's.

[I'm not bothering to post links since this is basic textbook info, anyone wanting more details can find it on google in about 30 seconds]

BirdBrain
12-18-2015, 11:37
I asked my Vet a while ago about ticks. He said it takes several days of around freezing weather to knock them out for the season.

I am not a tick expect. I suspect your (pets') Vet is :D. However, I have heard about a "new" tick in Maine. Not sure what it is called or if it carries bad stuff. We call it a winter tick up here. It is doing a number on the moose population. Normally, moose have a bit of a reprieve from the blood suckers in the winter. Not anymore. Many calves don't survive their first winter because of this critter... or so I have heard. I did not hear that from an expert... just Mainer's. If they are correct, ticks run around up here year round. Not sure if the "winter ticks" carry the bad stuff or not. Dog ticks don't seem to be to much of an issue... or so I am told.

Please forgive my careful wording. I am being preemptive before the corrections come in. I am not an expert. I just hear stuff. :D

Traveler
12-18-2015, 11:56
I suspect the vet meant sustained cold weather keeps the ticks from being active. According to insect experts, ticks survive quite well in winter and become active most anytime they have warmth over 30 degrees. Some interesting information from the Portland Press Herald relative to ticks which demonstrates they do well in winter overall:

"While the Portland area experienced 10 days of below-zero temperatures this winter, plus the coldest March in nearly 50 years, according to the weather service, it was not enough to harm the ticks.“There’s not a whole lot that affects them,” said Bob Maurais, part-owner of Mainely Ticks, a tick management and education business. “We’re already getting calls about ticks. The most important thing people can do is to avoid tick habitat.”
Lubelczyk said that what a long winter does do is delay the start of tick season, because ticks tend to be inactive at temperatures below 40 degrees."

lemon b
12-19-2015, 23:03
Last one I plucked off my cat was Middle of November. I don't feel out of the woods until ground is frozen solid. End of December. I've seen a six inch snow cover for a week not do them in for good. They are a tough mini beast were here before us and will be here after we humans are gone

lemon b
12-19-2015, 23:08
IGR's can help. Never let them control my activity.