PDA

View Full Version : Hiking Trail near Cabelas in Hamburg PA

denimlabels
12-14-2015, 22:22
I was talking to my local auto parts guy today and we were talking about some local trails. He mentioned there was a steep glacial rock trail somewhere out behind the Giant Cabelas superstore on 78 West in Hamburg PA. Anyone hiked it or have any information on this trail?

kayak karl
12-14-2015, 22:25
talking about Pinnacle Peak ? We hike that every year then go shopping before Christmas.

denimlabels
12-15-2015, 00:10
Is it possible to start at point A and do Pinnacle Peak and Blue Rock boulder field in the same day and return back to point A?

kayak karl
12-15-2015, 07:23
Yes. did it in the rain 6 hours. somebody else should be able to give miles. we camped a blue something campground.

Lyle
12-15-2015, 07:32
The trails from Blue Rock Campground up to the Pinnacle and back down from Pulpit Rock are not what I would call behind Cabelas, not even all that close. I've hiked this loop many times, but usually would do a side trip to Windsor Furnace Shelter for the night. It could be done as a day hike. There are a couple different routes you can take to the Shelter to avoid backtracking. This loop, however, is several miles north of Cabelas.

capehiker
12-15-2015, 08:15
Is it possible to start at point A and do Pinnacle Peak and Blue Rock boulder field in the same day and return back to point A?

Yes. Park at Windsor Furnace parking lot. There's a map there that shows you how to do a loop or you can just do an out and back. Bring lunch for a great view at Pinnacle. This is not behind Cabela's as Lyle points out. There is a 1,100' steep climb out of Port Clinton, which is the closest point to Cabela's, but that is neither fun nor exciting. It downright sucks. LOL.

denimlabels
12-20-2015, 22:03
Thank you for the info. Couldn't make it out there this weekend. Will let you know how it went when I get out there in the next few weeks. Im not so much worried about the 1,100' climb up as the 1,100' climb back down at the end of the day.

tdoczi
12-21-2015, 11:50
The trails from Blue Rock Campground up to the Pinnacle and back down from Pulpit Rock are not what I would call behind Cabelas, not even all that close. I've hiked this loop many times, but usually would do a side trip to Windsor Furnace Shelter for the night. It could be done as a day hike. There are a couple different routes you can take to the Shelter to avoid backtracking. This loop, however, is several miles north of Cabelas.

i suspect we're talking about two different places near each other with a very similar name. my reading of this thread is there is a trail behind cabelas to a place called "pinnacle peak. roughly near, but not really, cabelas is a spot on the AT called "the pinnacle." i dont thionk these are the same spot.