PDA

View Full Version : What type of hiking boot?

SkeeterPee
12-14-2015, 23:11
Questions I am not asking
boots vs shoes?
Which shoe to buy?

Those seem to pop up all the time.

I am more interested in what type of boot to buy. Then I will go a bunch on and see what feels good.

So far I have hiked/backpacked in regular running shoes or trail runners. Even on 24F morning, I have been fine with shoes. But I suspect in colder weather, perhaps with cold rain or snow, that those type of shoes may be cold. From my running days, I remember my feet being very cold when I would take a 1/2 mile warm up walk before starting to run.

So I am looking to add a boot to running shoe/trail shoe options.

Given AT type trail backpacking, would I need a hiking boot or a heavier backpacking boot style. I know if if you have snow/ice, you need something for traction. in past I have used yaktrax, but those do not seem sturdy enough given the rocks I have seen hiking on the AT. Will either type boot work with crampon and micro spikes?

What are the criteria to choose between the lighter vs heavier boots?

Enigma
12-15-2015, 00:01
Vasque Summit

SkeeterPee
12-15-2015, 00:18
Looking at that particular boot, it seems like a heavy duty boot vs lighter boot. Would you be willing to share why you recommend that style?

Sarcasm the elf
12-15-2015, 00:23
First off, what sort of winter conditions are planning to get into?

These are my winter boots (upside down apparently, all are waterproof or gotetex. The scarpas are my usual winter backpacking boot around Connecticut, they are full leather/non mesh but fairly lighter than something like an Asolo, they pair well with a heavy wool sock, are very comfortable (to me) and are light enough that my feet don't overheat when hiking yet warm enough that my feet dob't go totally numb if I'm hanging around camp for a little while in the single digits. The Sorels are used for much colder slogs or for more sedentary pursuits and are very warm but much heavier, I use them for snow shoeing and I'd grab them first if you asked me to do something subzero that wasn't overly challenging physically. The Salewas are primarily for ice climbing or for more technical stuff that I am only a novice at, they're more comfortable but less warm than a full plastic double boot.

Skarpa Kailash
Sorel Conquest
Salewa Pro Gaiter

Enigma
12-15-2015, 00:30
The Vasque Summit is a slow clunker of a boot in some eyes, but one of the most durable and with gortex. It will not let you down, but it may slow you down from running. If you are going to carry a winter load but not alpine...it is a good tough boot, just over ankle. It will last. When weather and pack warms and lightens respectfully.... Lighten boots as well if you choose.

Sarcasm the elf
12-15-2015, 00:32
Going back to your question, for winter I personally would only consider something that was waterproof or goretex. The skarpas I show above are at the lighter end of full leather boots which is why I like them. I did some winter trips in lighter hiking boots that were part leather part mesh and they did not perform adequately (I got bordeline frostbite on one trip with them.)

SkeeterPee
12-15-2015, 00:46
This winter I may backpack some days after Christmas if I get my home projects done, or later in feb/march I have some vacation I need to take or loose. So a week or couple long weekends are likely I would probably backpack in the MD or PA areas so nothing like the white mountains yet. But I want to be prepared for bad weather.

Hangfire
12-15-2015, 04:44
If you are anywhere near an REI go and try out every boot that fits your need, and if you are a member you can take em back if you don't like em. I'm pretty sure I tried on every pair of boots they carry trying to find the right one, in the end I found something that worked.

squeezebox
12-15-2015, 10:41
I had a bad time with asolo 520, blisters within a mile. My Lowa renagade do better for me. But that's my feet , not yours. Of course good foot care, and gaitors.

Traveler
12-15-2015, 14:07
I had a bad time with asolo 520, blisters within a mile. My Lowa renagade do better for me. But that's my feet , not yours. Of course good foot care, and gaitors.

Shows how individualized these issues are. The Asolo 520 have, for me, been a great boot requiring little to no break in. Conversely, I had a hill of problems with the Merrill Moab shoes, gave me blisters right away between the toes of all places. The idea of trying on all the boots you've a fancy to try rings pretty good, only you can tell what boot is going to work for you by fit.

Venchka
12-15-2015, 14:29
Be sure and have the exact socks you plan to wear when trying on boots. When you think you've found the right boot in the right size, go up half a size. I've learned that the hard way.

Wayne

Uncle Joe
12-15-2015, 14:39
I like my Keen boots but reach for my La Sportiva Wildcats trail running shoes most of the time.

Hosh
12-15-2015, 15:15
If you are anywhere near an REI go and try out every boot that fits your need, and if you are a member you can take em back if you don't like em. I'm pretty sure I tried on every pair of boots they carry trying to find the right one, in the end I found something that worked.

+1 or find a store with a competent boot fitter. Our downtown Denver REI store has an employee who has toured many shoe factories and is extremely knowledgeable. Every manufacturer has unique characteristics in their construction and design.