PDA

View Full Version : MREs (Meal Ready to Eat)

ATmutt
12-15-2015, 10:34
Hi, all!!
I am a US Army veteran, planning to thru hike the AT starting next March/April. I am experienced with eating MREs & I would prefer to use them as my main food source on the trail. My plan is to purchase 10 boxes before I leave, compress the meals down so they're lighter & more compact, & have someone mail them to me along the way.
HERE'S MY PROBLEM:
I can't find a decent website to get them at a reasonabe price! I've found boxes of 12 being sold for $40, which is great--but its only that one type of box, with the same meals in it. I should be able to purchase different types of boxes so that I'm not eating the same meals over & over again...can anybody point me in the direction of a good place to purchase bulk MREs at a decent price??

Tuckahoe
12-15-2015, 10:59
Do yourself a favor and reconsider your plan to thru-hike on MREs. They are great for what they're intended, but way to heavy for hiking.

You will be looking at 13 to 26 ounces per meal and you can do better with DIY, off the shelf groceries, or commercial hiking meals. Additionally, there will be a lot of trash weight carried along as well.

swjohnsey
12-15-2015, 11:02
I'm a Army veteran, also. Sounds like a bad plan both the MRE and the mailing. MREs are expensive and so is mailing. There are lotsa better choices. To get adequate calories you need at least three a day, that's something like $2k in MREs.

Starchild
12-15-2015, 11:52
Another vote to reconsider, they are heavy to carry and that also ups the cost of mailing. I also remember a military study where it went into how much extra weight cuts in to miles per day so while it may be a economical solution to feed the many troops in the field, it is not a good fit for a thru hike 'mission'.

Many opportunities to obtain food as you go, will be lighter and add variety which equated to higher morale, most likely cheaper. Overall better fit for this mission IMHO.

Charlocity2
12-15-2015, 12:08
I've sampled some and found some components that are diamonds in the rough and not heavy, for example, chocolate peanut butter and pound cake. But the entrees...I consistently hear veterans talk about how backed up they get in the field on a steady diet of MREs. I don't think you want that on a thru-hike mission.

MuddyWaters
12-15-2015, 12:18
Let us know how it works out.....
Gonna take a huge pack

perrymk
12-15-2015, 12:21
I have no idea if these are good prices or not: http://beprepared.com/mre-meals/mre-combos-cases.html

bemental
12-15-2015, 12:29
+1 for ditching the MREs. Heavy. Expensive.

You must have not been a grunt, because I would rather eat corn-flecked poo than eat another MRE.

Also, how does one become "experienced" at eating crappy food that doesn't require any preparation other than heating (and who has the luxury to do THAT).

peakbagger
12-15-2015, 12:38
To answer your question, EBAY is the best source for complete meals in cases. Watch the shipping. If you insist on using these types of meals the FSR (first strike rations) are better as they come pre field stripped. They rarely come up for sale anywhere and when they do they are pricey. With regular MRES, there is quite a bit of extra packaging that you are paying to ship and dispose off. Much as the spoons are nice, you don't need a new one every day and that goes for the rest of the accessory kits. As the AT is Leave No Trace, the vinyl pouches and foil packs that the actual food comes in do not burn clean and the resultant burnt foil and vinyl (that you need to pack out) takes up space and weight to carry out.

That said, this is expensive way to hike the AT, they will work but are the wrong "tool" for the hike and heavy. There are plenty of resources on AT food including the articles on the home page. You can have a quite a varied menu by buying stuff from stores and possibly supplementing maildrops with repackaged bulk dehydrated veggies which can be bought in #10 tin cans. A few varieties of veggies with knorr/lipton meals is great option.

If there are particular items in MREs you like, like the Lemon poppyseed cake of the Hoah bars, there are websites that may sell singles. They wont save you any weight but may act as comfort food if you are so inclined.

There is also a problem with your math. Each case contains 12 meals. They typically have 24 menus in any given year so buying an A and B gets you 24 meals. Each MRE is 1250 calories and therefore you need 3 meals a day for 3750 calories. Thus one case is 4 days worth of food. An entire thru hike is about 150 days, thus you would need 38 cases of MREs. A good source for MRE info is this one http://www.mreinfo.com/mres/. Buried in the site is reference to first strike rations http://www.mreinfo.com/other-us-rations/current-us-rations/first-strike-ration/. They are 2900 calories and designed for one days food so a case of FSRs last 9 days (9 FSRs per box) so you need 17 cases of FSRs if you can find them. They are all no cook mostly finger food. I expect most would get bored of either.

RangerZ
12-15-2015, 12:54
I sometimes take a MRE meal out for the first night, but then I've got them to get rid of and they're getting old. I also cherry pick what I want to take. Not all MREs are great but they're all better than the Ham and Lima Beans in the old MCIs, Meal Combat Indivdual).

MuddyWaters
12-15-2015, 13:07
I sometimes take a MRE meal out for the first night, but then I've got them to get rid of and they're getting old. I also cherry pick what I want to take. Not all MREs are great but they're all better than the Ham and Lima Beans in the old MCIs, Meal Combat Indivdual).

Most are better than lipton sides and spam also

RangerZ
12-15-2015, 13:35
I've always thought that Spam is a positive addition to anything. :banana

MockingJay
12-15-2015, 14:02
I remember walking up on several fire rings while on the trail last year that were littered with someone's leftover MRE wrappers. There's so much trash generated from an MRE that there's no way it's efficient for long distant hiking. Being a former grunt who had to eat MRE's for weeks at a time, I'd exhaust every option available before voluntarily submitting my body to that again. Buy 10 cases of Mountain House meals or Pasta sides or Mac N cheese instead. Your wallet, your back, and your stomach will thank you!

tarditi
12-15-2015, 15:20
I'm also a vet, and have a special spot for MREs and Ranger Pudding.

MRE have poor calorie-to-weight ratio, plus they are expensive. They are great at serving as field rations for troops, fine for "lights out emergencies," and OK for an occasional novelty meal while camping, but I, too, would not recommend building a long distance hiking plan around them.

If you *have* to go the MRE route, you're in a bit of an interesting situation. Real MRE are only made for US Government (DOD, DOI, HLS, etc.). Anything you see that is a genuine MRE on the private market (CL, ebay, etc.) is either older food that was issued to an individual and kept (they're not intended to be resold), or "fell off a truck" somewhere in the supply chain. There are commercial equivalents, of course, some are VERY close to the official meals, some substantially different. Quality, shelf-life, variety, and cost will vary.

Consider heeding the excellent advice offered in the earlier posts - there are better suited options to save weight, money, and get more calories on the trail than a MRE.

Be well.

-Dustin

Mr. Bumpy
12-15-2015, 15:27
If you look about you can easily get just the entrée. I have done several 2-3 week long hikes and often take them. Typically I alternate evening meals and have a wet pack entrée with maybe some bread and cheese one night and a dehydrated something the next. MRE's are heavy but if you are camping at a dry location you can still feel that you had a satisfying dinner. Has anyone mentioned that they are heavy?

Old Hiker
12-15-2015, 16:36
Field strip them down if you insisting on taking them.

Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Meals-Ready--Genuine-Military-Surplus/dp/B005I5ML36/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1450211450&sr=8-3&keywords=mre

Better place in my opinion: http://theepicenter.com/

They have changed their web site somewhat – I can see where they have MREs now. I’ve gotten SEVERAL cases of the Mountain House #10 cans. Some for hurricane prep here in FL and some to break down into meals for on the Trail the first few weeks.

peakbagger
12-15-2015, 17:28
I'm also a vet, and have a special spot for MREs and Ranger Pudding.

Real MRE are only made for US Government (DOD, DOI, HLS, etc.). Anything you see that is a genuine MRE on the private market (CL, ebay, etc.) is either older food that was issued to an individual and kept (they're not intended to be resold), or "fell off a truck" somewhere in the supply chain.

Dustin

Its interesting to note the location of the major Ebay suppliers, they frequently are adjacent to areas with high number of military bases and they offer recent date codes and are in sealed cases so I expect there are a lot of packages "falling off a truck";). They do get handed out in bulk on occasion after civil disasters and thus make it into the private market. The DOD marks the packages as not for sale, there have been clarifications that its not against the law to buy them, it only against the law to sell them.

Mtsman
12-16-2015, 00:09
I'm a Army veteran, also. Sounds like a bad plan both the MRE and the mailing. MREs are expensive and so is mailing. There are lotsa better choices. To get adequate calories you need at least three a day, that's something like $2k in MREs.

I came here to make this exact comment ^^

But in the spirit of HYOH, If you are x military did you land around a base? Many Surplus stores sell them for reasonable prices and if you are around a big base there is a moderate amount of competition to drive the price down lower. If you are not around a base and still want to use this method PM me and I will look around my location for inexpensive prices and mail them to you at cost.

MuddyWaters
12-16-2015, 01:18
Its interesting to note the location of the major Ebay suppliers, they frequently are adjacent to areas with high number of military bases and they offer recent date codes and are in sealed cases so I expect there are a lot of packages "falling off a truck";). They do get handed out in bulk on occasion after civil disasters and thus make it into the private market. The DOD marks the packages as not for sale, there have been clarifications that its not against the law to buy them, it only against the law to sell them.

Accidentally got into line of cars at a walmart in area after hurricane, without a word soldiers put a box with two huge 24x24 blue tarps, 2 cases of water bottles, and two cases of MREs in the back of my truck. I was just trying to leave walmart.

Im sure some people make multiple trips for free stuff..daily. No problem picking up a dozen cases of mre's.

JumpMaster Blaster
12-17-2015, 17:37
Another Army veteran here (25 years next year when I retire). I sometimes hike with stripped down MREs just because I have them "laying around", but if when I take them out, they're the FIRST thing I eat. Even stripped down (out of cardboard boxes, only taking entrees I'll eat, etc) the weight penalty is high.

When you factor in you having to BUY them, and at an assumed requirement of 3 per day, it's cost prohibitive. I'm section hiking right now, so I can afford to take one or two entrees because I'm going super duper light on everything else.

I'd like to attempt a thru hike in 2017, and you best believe I probably will never carry any full MREs. Even trying to rely solely on prepackaged Mountain House (or Alpineaire, etc) meals are too expensive. As a matter of fact, the only thing I'd use out of them would be the pound cake, peanut butter, cheese, crackers, and the applesauce or similar.

cmoulder
12-17-2015, 17:51
The cost of MH can be cut considerably (and meal size adjusted up or down) by buying the #10 cans and repackaging using a vacuum sealer. Use a kitchen scale for consistent portion measurement and store the repackaged meals in a freezer until you need them.

Mags
12-18-2015, 12:39
MREs are great if you have the logistical support of the modern military. :)

Note that when military personnel are essentially backpacking (with weapons and communication gear!), they take what essentially backpacking meals. I believe Oregon Freeze Dried (the parent company of Mountain House) makes those meals for the military. http://www.ofd.com/government/

Christoph
12-18-2015, 12:55
Like everyone stated, steer clear of MRE's (unless weekend hiking or camping trips). There's so many places (little towns, etc) to grab a good meal from along the way. Not saying to strictly eat Ramen to save weight between town stops, but eat well and carry a little extra in case of mice, etc (yep that happened). The cost/weight on a thru for MRE's alone would be enough to deter me. I've eaten my fair share of em and I'm one of the crazies that actually enjoy em, but I also want to enjoy my 30 pound pack, not one at 60. My pack started at 41 and quickly shed it to around 30 and I enjoyed life a lot better knowing I didn't have to (potentially) carry that extra poundage 2188 more miles.

Doughnut
12-18-2015, 13:34
Another Vet here, Lots of great advice.

For MREs (hurricane or emergency food) check Craigslist, I've got some from there.

I agree they are way too heavy, so maybe one broken down an eat it early in the hike.

Bronk
12-19-2015, 11:08
After a couple of weeks you'll realize that this is lunacy and you'll start buying your food in towns as you go along...then you'll come home and find that you have a couple thousand dollars worth of MRE's in your garage...you'll be well prepared for the zombie apocalypse. Seriously, these things are very heavy compared to what you can buy at a grocery store along the way.

Grampie
12-20-2015, 11:51
During my thru I found quite a few MREs in hiker boxes. This should tell you something.

egilbe
12-20-2015, 12:42
During my thru I found quite a few MREs in hiker boxes. This should tell you something.

Tabasco sauce gone? The spoon is a nice lightweight spoon. Seasoning packets, sugar, coffee, creamer. The rest of it is pretty much trash. Hmmm...free food is free food.

Hummy585
12-20-2015, 21:59
Not sure what your current status is, but if you're still on the payroll (reserves) or maybe another line, one can get some great pricing on pro deals, i.e., Promotive.com, and get a much better quality pre-pack meals, or make your own, or even check out the current sales at REI, etc. The G-Meals are heavy and ain't that great...

double d
12-21-2015, 15:01
You ask a great question below: I would suggest you do a "shake down" hike first, which will most likely be a different experience for you then your military experience with MRE's and of course you can see if you like hiking with them-most likely, you wont. Have fun and good luck!!!

I am a US Army veteran, planning to thru hike the AT starting next March/April. I am experienced with eating MREs & I would prefer to use them as my main food source on the trail. My plan is to purchase 10 boxes before I leave, compress the meals down so they're lighter & more compact, & have someone mail them to me along the way.
HERE'S MY PROBLEM:
I can't find a decent website to get them at a reasonabe price! I've found boxes of 12 being sold for $40, which is great--but its only that one type of box, with the same meals in it. I should be able to purchase different types of boxes so that I'm not eating the same meals over & over again...can anybody point me in the direction of a good place to purchase bulk MREs at a decent price??

WILLIAM HAYES
12-24-2015, 00:31
MRE'S are too heavy to carry go lighter package your bulk food in ziplocks

So There I Was
12-24-2015, 10:06
Some things to consider. I think enough vets weighed in on the MRE thing. We get so used to sucking up extra weight as we Hump on patrols, we don't ever think about the smarter way. When I was at JBER, I wouldn't take MRE's to the field if I could get away with it. Jet boil and knorr pasta sides with tuna or spam was the way I went.

One other thing to remember. You are not force marching. Approach everything with the idea you are going thru "Slo-Go" terrain. I haven't done my thru yet, just sections. But, I can tell you if you try to maintain that 18th ABN standard of 4 miles an hour, you will break yourself off. If you can maintain it, my hat is off to you brother.

War Chief
12-29-2015, 10:52
X2 on what the other vets said. I'm a 20 year 111-series vet planning a NOBO thru-hike for March. Packing MREs never crossed my mind. assuming 3 meals per day, that's somewhere in the neighborhood of 30 pounds in food load. Plus the bulk. I'm humping a MOLLE II ruck and I don't think I could get it all to fit!
That said... In my time in the service, I developed a sick fascination with MREs. I'm planning on having ONE meal of my favorite recipes loaded in each of my resupply boxes, to be eaten immediately upon opening the box. That way I don't have to carry the weight and bulk. Kind of a guilty pleasure.
In my own cost/weight per calorie analysis, I've found lots of lightweight, cheap, enjoyable meal options right off the shelf from the grocery store. So far, my seven day consumables load is under 9 pounds, over 210,000 calories, fits in a USPS flat rate box, and has enough variety to keep me happy. Just my .02.
BTW, thanks for the forum! It's a great read and I've gotten some really handy information here.

cmoulder
12-29-2015, 11:15
>>>>I've found lots of lightweight, cheap, enjoyable meal options right off the shelf from the grocery store. So far, my seven day consumables load is under 9 pounds, over 210,000 calories, fits in a USPS flat rate box, and has enough variety to keep me happy. Just my .02.

I'm interested! What is on your menu?

I've done the Kraft Ezy-Cheezy macaroni things with pepperoni added and that makes a pretty darn tasty, calorie-dense and filling meal if I'm really hungry.

Tipi Walter
12-29-2015, 12:21
When I was in the USAF (U-Laff??) we didn't have MRE's and instead had C-rats and in-flight meals. Sometime in the 1990's I was souvenired several MRE's for a backpacking trip and found them to be way too salty for my tastes. Inedible almost. It seems Dustin and JumpMasterBlaster know what they are talking about.

Here's a better option:
Option 1: Cook up big meals at home like stews or spaghetti with sauce and dry them at your leisure. Put in ziploc bags and Voila! You have your own MREs.

Option 2: Buy favorite foods in cans or cartons and dry these at home---it's what I'm doing right now to prepare for a January trip.

http://www.amys.com/images/uploads/products/thumbnails/000511.jpg
This is my go-to backpacking dinner of late---vegetarian chili with veggies.

http://www.amys.com/images/uploads/products/thumbnails/000561.jpg
This is another current fave.

http://pnf.blob.core.windows.net/images/box_images/Light-Sodium-Butternut-Squash-thumb.png
Or get 10 or 12 cartons of Pacific soups and go wild at home . . . with the dryer.

https://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/Backpack-2014-Trips-152/24-Days-in-the-Cold/i-6SGC3K6/0/L/TRIP%20152%20005-L.jpg
Here's some dried butternut squash soup ready to be ziplocked.

Tipi Walter
12-29-2015, 12:24
I've found lots of lightweight, cheap, enjoyable meal options right off the shelf from the grocery store. So far, my seven day consumables load is under 9 pounds, over 210,000 calories, fits in a USPS flat rate box, and has enough variety to keep me happy. Just my .02.
BTW, thanks for the forum! It's a great read and I've gotten some really handy information here.

War Chief brings up a good point---When you're on the trail the easiest thing is to stop worrying about food and get what's available at the next resupply grocery store. Let the store determine your menu. There are hundreds of things a backpacker can carry from a store. Oatmeal is high on my list. Carry a P-38 and even a few canned items if you want.

jefals
12-31-2015, 16:48
Just received an order from hawkvittles.com. these are single serving, boil in bag meals, and they have a wide selection. I got 13 different meals, avg. weight is 4.78 ozs. Most items were 5.95.

One Half
01-10-2016, 00:10
Just received an order from hawkvittles.com. these are single serving, boil in bag meals, and they have a wide selection. I got 13 different meals, avg. weight is 4.78 ozs. Most items were 5.95.

Let us know how they taste

lemon b
01-10-2016, 10:51
ATmutt, you won't be the first Vet to make the ration mistake. Back in 78, 2nd summer out I started out hauling c-rations. Looking back I think it was more a case of becoming taste neutral. Would eat anything. What I discovered was that hikers can actually come up with some pretty tasty stuff on trail. Of course, losing weight in the pack is always welcome. I've tried MRE's and have yet to find one I really like and the packaging is just a pain in the behind.

Obiwan
04-10-2016, 08:54
What I do use is the peanut butter/cheese pouches and the crackers

Both are very convenient

TwoSpirits
04-10-2016, 09:47
What I do use is the peanut butter/cheese pouches and the crackers

Both are very convenient
Agreed. I saw the very tail end of the C's, and have seen the MRE's evolve. There actually are some MRE's that edible now, although I still wouldn't take them on a long hike. But when field stripped, there can be some useful and convenient components. Crackers & peanut butter are a good example. The thought of the jalapeño cheese makes me gag at home, but when out hiking it hits the spot. Go figure.