PDA

View Full Version : AGG Ultralight rain jacket and Kilt questions

linus72
12-15-2015, 13:48
Naturally like any hiker (and with a kinda weak back so weight matters) I'm always looking to lighten my load and upgrade my gear when I have a little cash to burn. I have a great 2 year old rain jacket from REI that's fully waterproof and hasn't let me down ever, and a Patagonia Houdini which is not fully waterproof but does keep off light rain. The jacket is 12 oz and the Houdini about half that. I often find myself debating which one I should bring on a trip. I get rained on a lot on the trail, and usually the rule is when I bring the houdini it rains too much for a non fully waterproof jacket, but the weight is amazing. WHen I bring the fully waterproof rain jacket, it barely rains.

Enter the AntiGravity gear fully waterproof rain shell with pit zips thats only 4.8-5.2 oz http://www.antigravitygear.com/shop/rain-gear/ultralight-backpacking-rain-jacket-with-pit-zips/ . $99 is a great price for those features and weight. I find this to be a perfect answer to the question and the other two are in great shape and I could easily sell over on bearfoot I bet. Does anyone have any feeback on this product?

I also bought some marmit precip pants on sale a while back but i've never used them as they seem like i'd sweat buckets in them and usually when it rains i just get wet from the waist down and change in camp. The Antigravity gear pants are half the weight almost of the precips and about 10 bucks less, so those are appealing and I'm also intriqued by the kilt.
http://www.antigravitygear.com/shop/rain-gear/antigravitygear-rain-kilt/
Any thoughts on either of those? I'm not sold on a bottom rain layer yet other than gaiters as I don't really mind my legs getting wet on a short section hike.

If anyone has any of these and has any experiences positive or negative and recommendations or would not recommend them lmk.

God knows I just upgraded my 1 year old trekking poles to collapsible ones because they too were lighter, took up less room and were on holiday sale. Maybe I have a problem!

saltysack
12-15-2015, 15:30
Check YouTube...fire in my bones reviews it I believe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

capehiker
12-15-2015, 15:56
I had the AGG rain jacket 3 years ago. It was a piece of junk, and I felt it was made to fit into the ultralight category and being functional was secondary.

HeartFire
12-15-2015, 16:03
LightHeart Gear has great rain gear (http://lightheartgear.com/index.php/rain-gear) - will never wet through

MuddyWaters
12-23-2015, 09:57
silnylon is very clingy when wet and coated with condensation on the inside.
Being unbreathable, it will be wet with condensation.

This allows cold rain to wick the heat out of you fast witn no insulating air layer
This is why shoulders are cold when it rains, no air gap under jacket.

You want a rainjacket to have some body stiffness so it doesnt contact and cling to you all over,and has an air layer underneath to keep you warm.

You can get away with silnylon in hot weather, when you dont need it. I wouldnt consider it most of the year.

No raingear keeps you dry, except a poncho maybe in an arid environment. Its function is to keep you warm.