PDA

View Full Version : JetBoil Burner Comparison

nsherry61
12-15-2015, 14:26
JetBoil screwed up and accidentally sent me a MiniMo burner instead of a MiniMo pot lid.
So, I thought I'd now test JetBoil's claims on burner performance of the new pressure regulated MiniMo burner that is supposed to be hotter and also simmer better.

Setting: My kitchen counter with a big bowl of tap water, a single, partly used 220g fuel cartridge, both a MiniMo and a Flash burner, and both a 1L flash pot and a sumo pot (I think it's 2 L).

Procedures: Bring a carefully measured 2 cups of water to a rolling boil in each pot with each burner turned all the way up, and then turn the burners down to their lowest setting that maintains a flame and see if the water simmers instead of a rolling boil.

Observations:
- MiniMo burner boiled two cups of water in 1:58 in the Flash pot and 1:59 in the sumo pot. Turned down to low the MiniMo burner did a very good job of a very slow simmer. The bubbles came mainly out of the very center of the pot, right over the burner. So, very fast boil and very nice simmer, but, the heat is not well distributed over the entire bottom of the pot. The MiniMo burner "knob" requires 4.5 turns to full open compared to the Flash burner's 1.5 turns.
- Flash burner boiled the 2 cups of water in 4:31, and when turned down, did "simmer" but the simmer was pretty close to a rolling boil and the flame was pretty unstable turned down that low.

Conclusions: The MiniMo burner is over twice as fast at heating water as the Flash burner, and it also simmers at a lower temperature with a more stable flame. The MiniMo burner seems to be such a significant upgrade to the older burner as to almost make any of the other small JetBoil stove systems obsolete.

Further Studies: It would be interesting to compare fuel consumption and burner weight. It would also be interesting to compare the Sol burner with the MiniMo, although, I think the Sol is supposed to be pretty close to, if not identical to, the Flash as far as max output and simmer control goes.

FYI: REI has the MiniMo stove system on sale right now for $89.93 instead of the regular $129.95.

Traveler
12-15-2015, 16:42
Great comparison! I have been thinking about moving in the MiniMo direction for a while, this kind of gets me over the decision point.

cmoulder
12-15-2015, 21:05
This is the same as my observation of both burners... MiniMo is considerably faster, therefore my snow melter of choice.

Simmer doesn't cause me too much concern since I never expect to actually cook with a canister stove, but indeed the MiniMo simmer is pretty darn good. What I sometimes fret about is the reliability of the regulator on the MiniMo, although thus far I have not had any problems after a fair amount of use.