PDA

View Full Version : Baxter???

Fireplug
12-16-2015, 01:00
What's everyone's thoughts on how to handle Baxter State Park. I heard only 10 permits allowed per night to camp. What will someone do if they arrive and the 10 permits are taken?

Don H
12-16-2015, 09:00
Will you be a thru-hiker?
If so North or South bound?
What you need to do to make a reservation depends on these answers.
By the way there are 12 sites at the Birches, the site set aside for thru-hikers.

http://www.baxterstateparkauthority.com/hiking/at.htm

elWiesel
12-16-2015, 09:21
Just gave the big thread about Baxter a quick once over, things look pretty bad.
Being NOBO in the high season I think IŽll be patient, keep to the rules and improvise if necesarry (if I make it that far).

colorado_rob
12-16-2015, 09:22
All sorts of other options, for example, my wife and I simply reserved a regular lean-to, $30/night, sleeps 4, you can get others to share the cost as we did (another couple. Or is it $60/night and our portion was $30? I'm getting O.L.D. This only works, of course, if you know when you'll get there. We knew when we left Monson, allowing ourselves 7 days in the 100-mile, which we did easily. Lots of folks don't like setting a deadline like this, but we're comfortable with it just so we would have zero chance of a hassle when we got there.

Another option is that when you get to the ranger station, there is a daily shuttle to Millinocket to the AT lodge, around 3:30-4pm. Take that, stay a night in the Hostel, take the shuttle back the next morning, climb the Big K, then the shuttle back to Millinocket. We saw a ton of folks doing this when we finished this October.

This is all assuming the 12 spots are gone, which is probably the best option. when we passed by the signup, only two names were on the list, so we could have done that easily. It was a Wednesday, by the way, September 30th.

MuddyWaters
12-16-2015, 10:02
Or you camp at abol and get a spot the next day.
Or , as has been happening, ranger finds you a spot in a campground, but thats part of the problem....

squeezebox
12-16-2015, 10:33
Sounds like you just need to be flexible, follow the rules, and don't throw a tantrum if you don't get your way.

peakbagger
12-16-2015, 11:15
Sounds like you just need to be flexible, follow the rules, and don't throw a tantrum if you don't get your way.

Hard to beat that as a good summary. Last summer on two days before labor day, the Birches had open slots. There is also a state campground located about a 1/2 mile from the park entrance and a camp store just across the street at Abol Bridge so if you want to roll the dice with the Birches compared to making reservations in Monson in advance you may end up spending a night outside the park along nice section of the Penobscot river and then you can go sign up for the birches slots in the AM. I expect there will be additional assistance to hikers entering the park though Abol bridge based on last year issues.

Fireplug
12-16-2015, 11:20
Thanks guys. Good advise

BirdBrain
12-16-2015, 12:05

Tried to PM you so as not to attract ire by my agreeing with your reasonable assessment. Your mailbox is full. Putting this thread on ignore before it degenerates. Therefore, I will not see your responses here.

Fireplug
12-16-2015, 22:56
Tried to PM you so as not to attract ire by my agreeing with your reasonable assessment. Your mailbox is full. Putting this thread on ignore before it degenerates. Therefore, I will not see your responses here.
Not sure why I only have one PM in my inbox

squeezebox
12-17-2015, 00:37
Seems to be the 2 biggest problems are 1) A hiker insisting their friends and family summit with them. despite reservations. 2) weed & alcohol.

rocketsocks
12-17-2015, 08:02
Seems to be the 2 biggest problems are 1) A hiker insisting their friends and family summit with them. despite reservations. 2) weed & alcohol.
Is it possible that's only one problem...entitlement.

wannahike
12-17-2015, 09:17
I was reading a trail journal where the couple started hiking from Abol after midnight and then signed in and started up Katahdin around 4am. They did leave one pack at the Birches lean to but never camped in the park.

swjohnsey
12-17-2015, 09:40
Worry about it if you get there.

colorado_rob
12-17-2015, 09:43
Is it possible that's only one problem...entitlement.

Funny, I thought this was a thread where someone was seeking logistic information in BSP....

Aren't there plenty of other thread where curmudgeons (AKA pseudo-cyber-hikers) can drone on endlessly about how rude today's AT hikers are???????????????? Like about two dozen other, essentially identical threads????????????????

And what the heck is wrong with family and friends joining us for our Katahdin summit????????????? The mind boggles.

Traveler
12-17-2015, 09:49
And what the heck is wrong with family and friends joining us for our Katahdin summit????????????? The mind boggles.

Nothing, presuming you and your family and friends access and use the park in accordance with the rules.

MuddyWaters
12-17-2015, 09:54

The biggest problem is showing up without arrangements for stays, or travel out the park, expecting that rules will be bent to accomodate for them, and their families, because by God, they are a thru hiker. Or a poser with a fat belly...whatever.

The second biggest problem is flaunting the rules in place in other regards.

As was said, its an entitlement mentality.

egilbe
12-17-2015, 10:20
I was reading a trail journal where the couple started hiking from Abol after midnight and then signed in and started up Katahdin around 4am. They did leave one pack at the Birches lean to but never camped in the park.

Thats a long day.

squeezebox
12-17-2015, 10:30
So what are the regulations about getting Baxter reservations if you are not a Nobo thru hiker, let's go with Baxter's definition of thru hiker as starting 100+ miles south. I'm under the impression it takes weeks. It's difficult to know when you're gonna hit Baxter weeks before. And Baxter seems to not want to take time to make those arrangement for you, you friends and family. Hooking up for a ride home seems to be in there too. It appears for an individual hikers it's easy enough but with friends and family it becomes much more difficult.
Just thinking.

Don H
12-17-2015, 12:10

You could be up there for sunrise, which would be pretty cool.
I met a hiker coming down at about 8 am he did that, said the views were great. By the time I summited it was raining with almost zero visibility.

Slo-go'en
12-17-2015, 12:40
So what are the regulations about getting Baxter reservations if you are not a Nobo thru hiker, let's go with Baxter's definition of thru hiker as starting 100+ miles south. I'm under the impression it takes weeks. It's difficult to know when you're gonna hit Baxter weeks before. And Baxter seems to not want to take time to make those arrangement for you, you friends and family. Hooking up for a ride home seems to be in there too. It appears for an individual hikers it's easy enough but with friends and family it becomes much more difficult.
Just thinking.

The park allows thru hikers to show up and stay at the Birches without reservations because it's not practical for thru hikers to do so. Baxter is under no obligation to make arrangements for your friends and/or family and why should they?

There are a number of places your friends/family can stay just outside the park, like Abol Bridge campground. Getting a ride out is no problem, you use the phone at Abol Bridge campground, but no doubt shuttle drivers are there every morning during the busy season anyway.

peakbagger
12-17-2015, 14:45
Just thinking.

Its pretty simple

Call the park office from Monson and ask for the reservation desk
Tell the staff person what night you are looking for and preferred campground and type of accommodation
They will either tell you a place is open or suggest alternatives which to most thru hikers would be Abol campground in place of KSC.
Supply them a valid credit card number and you have reservations and can avoid all the worry about getting in the park.

I generally suggest booking two nights as you are covered for two summit attempts in case the weather is poor the first day

You are all set but do note there are no refunds

This can also be done on the web but I encourage hikers to call.

Shuttles out of the park have been offered by the AT Lodge in Millinocket, a private entity and is not run by BSP. I would encourage hikers who plan to use this service to verify what the rules are and costs for this service prior to ending up in the park.

The park in the past has tried to fill unreserved sites with thruhikers if the Birches fills up but I expect this may change and that this role may be taken over by ATC/MATC. Its important to note that the park only works with cash as there is no way to process credit cards due to lack of cell service.

For families or friends wishing to meet or hike up the mountain with thruhikers, the reservation process is the same for those who plan to stay overnight, otherwise for day use they need to get a day use pass for the Katahdin Stream campground. Maine residents can book these passes well in advance but out of state guests have to wait until 2 weeks prior to the date (please verify this as I am doing this from memory). With the exception of holiday weekends there are usually passes available for those who insist upon driving up to the gate without one but its bad idea to depend on it. If the hiker is just being picked up and the driver is not planning to hike or park for an extended period at the trailhead, a day use pass is not needed but this can be problematical as its rare that a thru hiker will know exactly when they are getting down.

Some folks driving in have abused this exemption in the past and have decided to throw an impromptu extended party at the KSC parking lot without a day use pass. I suggest that a far nicer place is the roadside facility just south of Togue Pond gate as there are picnic tables and good place to swim plus far more picturesque.

BillyGr
12-17-2015, 22:37

Thats a long day.

Is it? Would be about 20 miles (assuming one gets a ride after coming down)? Still not easy, but for many who have been doing similar distances a number of times...

egilbe
12-17-2015, 22:58
20 mile days in Maine and NH are long days. Katahdin is the single largest elevation gain on the AT. The hike from Abol bridge to KSC is pretty nice. I wouldnt want to climb Katahdin in the dark. It scares me in the day, but i get vertigo and am a bit afraid of heights.

peakbagger
12-18-2015, 06:01
Hiking to the summit from outside the park and back out in 24 hours is possible and even done in the winter. Taking the AT adds mileage. The folks I have read of typically take the right at the entrance hiker entrance and take the Abol Pond trail (an old logging road) then up the perimeter road to the Abol campground and then up the Abol trail and back again. Northbounders should be in good enough shape for this hike but it will still be long hard day and plan on a rest day the next day.

Unfortunately, some folks claim they are going to do this and then decide when they come off the mountain that they are incapable or unwilling to follow through with the plan and become one of the "those thruhikers" that require special attention from park staff. That attention may range from finding the hiker a legit campsite at the last minute or getting hauled out of the park for stealth camping.

The far better alternative is to make reservations in Monson or spending a night outside the park at Abol Bridge and grabbing a spot at the birches in the morning. The store at the bridge has plenty of food for a short term resupply.

Starchild
12-18-2015, 08:54
Such complicated bureaucratic solutions which could be easily solved by spacing another AT shelter about a mile from the Birches. Possibly multiple shelters with limited capacity each (make the Birches smaller). The distance apart from each other would cut down on the crowded feel of thru hiker community, and the staggered start for the climb up Katahdin would also limit the number at the summit at a time and also stop the problem of trying to find the thru hikers last minute reservations. All without adding a complex system of reservations which may or may not be filled and are not easy for the thru hiker to make. The more thru hikers who are pushed to make reservations the less spots available for the public and the residents of Maine, and this also will lead to many reservations going unfilled due to uncertainty of when one will arrive.

Also to add the phone service at Abol Bridge is not reliable, cell service is sketchy but possible and we all know how that can go trying to give a credit card number over a phone that keeps cutting in and out.

egilbe
12-18-2015, 08:56
keep adding all these modern conveniences to a wilderness area and pretty soon, its no longer a wilderness area.

Traveler
12-18-2015, 09:13
keep adding all these modern conveniences to a wilderness area and pretty soon, its no longer a wilderness area.

Well said.

chiefduffy
12-18-2015, 10:30
Just thinking.

If you are not a thru hiker(by Baxter's def.) , you should have a pretty good idea of when you need a campsite. The BSP website has a running chart of campsites available by date. Make your reservations and adjust your schedule slightly if necessary. Hundreds of section hikers do this every year. If you call the BSP Headquarters, they are VERY helpful, as are the rangers in the park. The problem is accommodating thrus, because of the limited number of campsites available on short notice.

kennajm
12-22-2015, 11:50
Baxter was easy. I thought the same things then I got there and it was no problem whatsoever. We had 11 people in the Birches and they had spots available at KSC. It will be a longer day but Abol is definitely an option. The folks running Baxter were nothing but great while I was there and it was an all around positive experience from the time I showed up until the time I left. Don't sweat it and enjoy your hike.

Sir Setsalot
12-28-2015, 19:49
The birches are not the only option for camping for thru hikers. The Birches are only available to thru hikers on a first come first served non reservation basis. You should know when you get to Monson, before entering the 100 mile wilderness, approx. when you will arrive. call the BSP and make a reservation for another campsite. There may not be any available but it is an option. Even if you make a reservation and arrive 2 days early stay at ABOL campground or adjust your miles.

rickb
12-28-2015, 22:08
Duplicate post

rickb
12-28-2015, 22:09
Baxter was easy. I thought the same things then I got there and it was no problem whatsoever. We had 11 people in the Birches and they had spots available at KSC. It will be a longer day but Abol is definitely an option. The folks running Baxter were nothing but great while I was there and it was an all around positive experience from the time I showed up until the time I left. Don't sweat it and enjoy your hike.

Is it possible that the month and day you finished impacted the site availability at KSCG?

RockDoc
12-29-2015, 01:58
If you plan well enough you can reserve a spot at Katahdin Creek campground, and have a bunch of other hikers camp with you at your spot. That's what we did last time. The other time I stayed in the Birches shelters and my friend and I were the only ones there (July, 2007), each with a hut to ourselves.

Just go for it. It will sort itself out OK if you follow the rules and do nothing stupid.