PDA

View Full Version : Handling of money on trail

Bubblehead
12-16-2015, 13:19
I'll be hiking half of the AT beginning this April. I have a question concerning carrying money with you on the trail. Is it best to carry a debit card with you on trail and a little cash? A lot of cash? I'm interested in getting numerous opinions on what's the best way of keeping cash/debit cards on the trail. Thanks...:banana

BirdBrain
12-16-2015, 13:42
A debit card and a small amount of cash. Replenish cash during debit card purchases. Not all areas accept all types of cards. Plan accordingly. Some services and/or purchases require cash. Regardless of strategy or level of planning, inform your bank of your plans. Some banks lock people out if they think purchases look funny based on algorithm or opinion. I carry a twenty, a few ones, and a card. I replenish cash as needed. I donate change to cups at registers. Some campsites require a specific fee. A common fee is $8. Plan accordingly as you approach these locations. I provide exact amounts so as to replenish their ones. It is not like they have a bank nearby all the time.

Odd Man Out
12-16-2015, 14:23
I carry an ATM card with no credit card logo to get cash from ATM's. I carry some cash, but not too much as most things can be chargeded. I don't like to use a debit card that has a VISA/MC logo as it can more easily be used if lost or stolen than an ATM card (useless without a PIN). I have to ask the bank for one and when I explain my reason they always say "that's a good idea". I also have a couple of credit cards. Call the company and tell them your plans so it is less likely a charge will be rejected as suspicious transaction (although it has still happened to me). I tend to carry the cash, ATM and a credit card in a wallet. Although I don't really need the wallet while hiking, I just have never been able to get used to not having it in my pocket. I have tried keeping it in my pack and I find myself worrying about it all day, so I have just given in and always keep it with me. I will however stash a spare credit card in the bottom of the pack as an emergency backup. Credit cards are set up to make cash withdrawals from ATM's (with a PIN) for emergencies, but the interest rate on cash advances are ridiculous so that is just for emergencies.

Cotton Terry
12-16-2015, 14:25
+1 for what BirdBrain said. The only thing I would add is that, for protection, I'm going to have a debit card specifically for my thruhike. I'll probably maintain about $200 in it and my wife will monitor the balance and add as necessary. If I have a need for a high value purchase (e.g., equipment replacement), I'll let her know to add more $$.

Additionally, many of the retailers on the trail are small mom & pop businesses operating on a thin net profit. I intend on paying cash at these locations.

BirdBrain
12-16-2015, 14:43
Great tips above. +1 on the mom & pop profit line. That is an off trail consideration as well. I deal in cash with those people locally as well. I like the dedicated card concept. I am stealing that idea.

bigcranky
12-16-2015, 15:04
Debit card, maybe $100 in cash at any one time, mostly small bills so I can buy a snack, pay for a hostel, or tip a driver. I would get more cash at the grocery store when resupplying to avoid ATM fees. Credit card stashed away for emergencies.

illabelle
12-16-2015, 15:25
Don't forget about cash for shuttles. Depending on where you're going, those can easily be $30, $50, or more.

CarlZ993
12-16-2015, 16:24
I carry an ATM card with no credit card logo to get cash from ATM's. I carry some cash, but not too much as most things can be chargeded. I don't like to use a debit card that has a VISA/MC logo as it can more easily be used if lost or stolen than an ATM card (useless without a PIN). I have to ask the bank for one and when I explain my reason they always say "that's a good idea". I also have a couple of credit cards. Call the company and tell them your plans so it is less likely a charge will be rejected as suspicious transaction (although it has still happened to me). I tend to carry the cash, ATM and a credit card in a wallet. Although I don't really need the wallet while hiking, I just have never been able to get used to not having it in my pocket. I have tried keeping it in my pack and I find myself worrying about it all day, so I have just given in and always keep it with me. I will however stash a spare credit card in the bottom of the pack as an emergency backup. Credit cards are set up to make cash withdrawals from ATM's (with a PIN) for emergencies, but the interest rate on cash advances are ridiculous so that is just for emergencies.
I used a similar strategy (maybe more cash on hand). My spare CC also included a couple of $20s, different debit card (DC), & a US Passport Card (2nd form of photo ID). My 'main' CC, ID, DC, & money was carried in my neck wallet that never left my side.

Coffee
12-16-2015, 17:01
Cash is king ... I carry around $200 and get uncomfortable with under $100. I like to pay small businesses in cash. They appreciate saving the credit card fees. I do have a fee free ATM card that I carry as well to replenish the cash from time to time.

4eyedbuzzard
12-16-2015, 17:11
I think 100 to 200 in cash is probably sufficient, avoid only having large bills as small stores and post offices don't always have lots of change. As to credit/debit cards, it is good to have two different ones. Cards can get compromised for a variety of reasons and often take a few weeks to get replaced. Also let your bank or credit card company know in advance where you will be using it so they don't deny a transaction or charge based upon an unusual location/pattern. Make sure all cards won't expire. Carry a second form of ID if possible as well.

QHShowoman
12-16-2015, 18:34
+1 for what BirdBrain said. The only thing I would add is that, for protection, I'm going to have a debit card specifically for my thruhike. I'll probably maintain about $200 in it and my wife will monitor the balance and add as necessary. If I have a need for a high value purchase (e.g., equipment replacement), I'll let her know to add more $$.

Remember that most hotels will require a hold on some sort of credit or debit card, which means those funds will be unavailable until 24-48 hours after your stay is paid for in full.

sliverstorm
12-16-2015, 19:37
Remember that most hotels will require a hold on some sort of credit or debit card, which means those funds will be unavailable until 24-48 hours after your stay is paid for in full.

Yeah, I figure stuff like this is an argument for carrying it all- a credit card, debit card, & cash. Cash is king far from civilization, but debit & credit cards both have good uses too, and weight 5 grams each :)

Alligator
12-16-2015, 23:03

Additionally, many of the retailers on the trail are small mom & pop businesses operating on a thin net profit. I intend on paying cash at these locations.If you have online banking you could probably do this quicker yourself from a smartphone, but whatever you are more comfortable with that works for you.

Rain Man
12-17-2015, 00:23
Agree with most comments above. I'd carry more than $200 cash, and do. Do inform your bank of your trip plans.

And for Pete's sake, carry some change. I've been to more than one Coke machine in the middle of nowhere (or at a place closed after hours/on weekends) that didn't take bills or give change. Sooooo nice to sit and have a cold soft drink on a hot day! Especially compared to sitting and staring at a machine while dripping sweat and swooning for one that's right in front of you, ... but you don't have any change. Been there, done that. Both ways.

Casey & Gina
12-17-2015, 01:11
Carry a huge wad of cash. And a big knife. ;)

MuddyWaters
12-17-2015, 05:26

For a credit card.....
A debit card can take much, much longer. Like WEEKS.
Which is why you never use a debit card at a hotel when checking in.
At some hotels the hold may be $100 per day, which is on top of the actual charge you pay. You can easily have several hundred dollars tied up for two weeks. The credit back delay is not the hotel, its the banks.

There is also little reason to use a debit card for anything most of the time. Fraudulent activity with it can expose you to liability, and you get nothing out of it. A credit card protects you and can rebate you part (1-2%) of the credit card fees that are built into everything you pay for today. Sometimes small stores or hotels do require a minimum purchase or add fees for credit cards. You can get cash from both at ATMs.

rocketsocks
12-17-2015, 06:07
Carry a huge wad of cash. And a big knife. ;)first national fist

Traveler
12-17-2015, 07:20
If anyone is concerned about carrying a lot of cash, send it along to me and I will tend to it.

Coffee
12-17-2015, 07:23
Not applicable to hiking but never use debit cards for gas either. I once had a $150 hold places on a debit card that didn't come off for an extended period.

As as for change, most vending machines seem to take dollar bills. Change can be pretty heavy. I donate my change to tip jars before leaving a town.

bigcranky
12-17-2015, 07:49
You'll need roughly $5000 for the hike. Just get it all in small bills and carry it in your pack. Post a photo of yourself and your pack before you leave. :)

Heliotrope
12-17-2015, 10:42
You'll need roughly $5000 for the hike. Just get it all in small bills and carry it in your pack. Post a photo of yourself and your pack before you leave. :)

I carry all of my cash on trail in a locked Halliburton case, along with an Uzi and two body guards. And a Doberman.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Uncle Cranky
12-17-2015, 10:48
On the trail I usually carry a debit/credit card and don't carry much more than $40 to $60 cash. In town it's easy to get cash back at a grocery store when making a resupply. In a small burgs without a major chain grocery that has a Post Office just use the card and purchase one postage stamp and they will give up to $50 cash back.

Uncle Cranky
12-17-2015, 10:50
On the trail I usually carry a debit/credit card and don't carry much more than $40 to $60 cash. In town it's easy to get cash back at a grocery store when making a resupply. In small burgs without a major chain grocery that has a Post Office just use the card and purchase one postage stamp and they will give up to $50 cash back.

steve0423
12-17-2015, 10:58
I carried around $100 cash and a debit card in my “hiker wallet” and a separate credit card hidden in my pack in case I lost the wallet. I also used the “cash back” option whenever possible to avoid ATM fees.
I made it from Springer to Port Clinton before my bank temporarily blocked my card while I was replacing my shoes at Cabelas. My wife tells a funny story about her conversation with the bank rep who wanted to know when I’d be traveling through additional states and what was my scheduled return date.

English Stu
12-17-2015, 12:33
Cash is king as has been said. If you are not from the US get two good ID. A bank looked at my GB passport as if I had just made it and smiled at my UK driving licence; took them around the back to show everybody for future reference. In some of those small towns and distant States my strange ID and seemingly dodgy accent aroused suspicion. Trying to get some cash from a drive thru bank completely freaked me and them.

kayak karl
12-17-2015, 13:03
I carried a debit card and had an auto transfer of $100 a week. If I lost card there was never more then $200 on it. If I needed more I did a one time transfer. Cash back in stores and post office was the best for pocket cash

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Miner
12-17-2015, 13:17
Have 2 cards and always have enough cash to be able to get what you need from town in case you were robbed, card gets damaged, or card cancelled by bank due to fraudulent activity. It takes time to get a replacement sent to you on the trail.

Don't carry them all together for the same reason. All it takes is one theft to leave you in dire straits. I carry a debit card in one place, my credit card elsewhere and cash spread out over multiple places including the hidden pocket in my hat. That way I will always have something if the worst happens.

pauly_j
12-18-2015, 04:53
For people carrying cash in their packs, do you not **** your pants when leaving your pack on the trail to get water etc?

Christoph
12-18-2015, 12:41
I only carried around 50 bucks cash. Almost everywhere has a card machine or card reader for their cell phone that I ran into.

steve0423
12-18-2015, 13:44
That $100 cash is a drop in bucket compared to the value of your kit, real or intrinsic. Some people become pretty at ease with leaving their stuff around, some are extremely hawkish. I landed somewhere in the middle, there were circumstances where I’d leave it and some when I would not.

steve0423
12-18-2015, 13:45
For people carrying cash in their packs, do you not **** your pants when leaving your pack on the trail to get water etc?

That $100 cash is a drop in bucket compared to the value of your kit, real or Intrinsic. Some people become pretty at ease with leaving their stuff around, some are extremely hawkish. I landed somewhere in the middle, there were circumstances where I’d leave it and some when I would not.

StubbleJumper
12-18-2015, 22:40

No, I don't worry about it one bit. On a day to day basis, I accept the risk that I could be robbed in the city or on the trail. If I am carrying even $300 or $400 and get robbed, it's not the end of the world. That modest sum of money is easily replaceable and that type of theft is only a nuisance (just like your pack getting torn would be a nuisance, or a bear shredding your tent would be a $300 nuisance). Protect yourself against BAD circumstances, like death, serious injury or catastrophic financial loss. But don't sweat the small stuff.

When I hike I usually carry between $200 and $800 dollars, depending on where I am hiking and the likely availability of cash machines. I like to have lots of small denominations for hitchhiking so that I can offer gas money to people who pick me up and give me a ride. If you are only carrying 20-dollar bills, you probably won't want to offer gas money, but if you have two or three $5 bills and a bunch of singles, you can put some small stuff in your pocket as you approach the trailhead and then you are well positioned to offer a modest contribution for gas.

Trail Ponderer
12-18-2015, 23:05
I like to carry a credit card and some cash usually under $100. I keep that on my person at all times, not in my pack. I can see where it might be a good idea to have a backup cash stashed elsewhere just in case like some have said previously. I prefer to use mail drops for my supplies and have placed cash in the mail drops.

xnav
12-19-2015, 07:53
Some park showers only take quarters. It's a bummer to be short some change and looking at a coin box that only takes quarters.

evyck da fleet
12-19-2015, 11:03
I usually took out about $200 in cash maybe once a month and carried about half on me with my driver's license(ID) credit card and ATM card. I'd have less than $100 socked away in my pack in someplace like a spare clothes bag or first aid kit in case I lost my hiker wallet. The ATM is useless without the PIN, the credit card has fraud protection and the spare cash is worst case scenario in case I have to get to town to call the credit card/bank to report the cards are stolen and wait new new ones to arrive.

I probably carried more than most but it was more so I wouldn't have to worry about getting cash in town and wouldn't be inconvenienced if a credit card machine was down at a restaurant/hostel. And in the unlikely event theft does occur I'm either going to be thankful my gear is still there and I'm only out the cash or not notice an extra $50 if I had to replace everything.

BillyGr
12-19-2015, 19:56
That $100 cash is a drop in bucket compared to the value of your kit, real or Intrinsic. Some people become pretty at ease with leaving their stuff around, some are extremely hawkish. I landed somewhere in the middle, there were circumstances where I’d leave it and some when I would not.

The only thing being that in the places where people would generally leave a pack 99 of 100 people won't know what it is worth. On the other side approximately 100 of 100 people would know what cash is worth.

BillyGr
12-19-2015, 19:57

The only thing being that in the places where people would generally leave a pack 99 of 100 people won't know what it is worth. On the other side approximately 100 of 100 people would know what cash is worth.

redseal
12-20-2015, 13:47
Here is my strategy. Works well for me. I carry my ID, credit card, ATM card and less than $100 I used credit card whenever possible. I carry it all in a tyvek wallet.

Puddlefish
12-20-2015, 17:31
The only thing I have to add is be cautious with lightweight/tyvek wallets. When I first got one, I quickly noticed that cards/licenses tend to just slide right on out of them at the most inconvenient times.

My license officer? I imagine it's right where it always is, in my driveway.