PDA

View Full Version : Storing Sawyer Filter

Brad L
12-16-2015, 15:11
I understand not to let a Sawyer filter freeze, questions is how are you storing it during your hike? In a zip bag, open in pack meshing or other means? This is my first post and TIA for the input.

Uncle Joe
12-16-2015, 15:14
During my hike it goes into a cinch sack in my pack. I've yet to take it below freezing, though.

squeezebox
12-16-2015, 15:18
Run a capfull of bleach in 1 pint of water when you get home to keep it clean for longer storage.

soumodeler
12-16-2015, 15:22
I keep mine in a ziploc on the outside of my pack in the mesh pocket during non freezing weather. When it is cold enough to freeze, it goes in my pants pocket to keep it from freezing.

SkeeterPee
12-16-2015, 17:06
I have it in ziplock and inside the sleeping bag with me at night to keep it from freezing. Surprisingly not a problem even though I shift sides several times, I just move it. I then keep it in a jacket pocket when awake in camp, or in a pants pocket if it is too warm for the jacket while hiking. By then it is usually warming up quick. I have not been out yet where it is cold all day.

Odd Man Out
12-16-2015, 18:41
I'm partial to plastic grocery bags for organizing gear. I keep the filter and other water treatment stuff in a bag in an outer pouch of the pack. Have not hiked in freezing temps yet so not worried about the filter freezing. If that was a concern I'd probably keep it in my pocket.

HooKooDooKu
12-16-2015, 19:38
If I expect temps to go below freezing, I take my SweetWater filter.
If temps might go near freezing, I take a sandwich ziplock bag I place it in during the night to keep with me in my sleeping bag (my bag as a pocket that's just the right size).
Othersize, I have a small mesh bag I store it in along with the tubing I use to create a gravity feed system using the Sawyer.
I should probably back flush it with distilled water when I get home, but so far, I just use tap water and haven't had a problem.

Then again, since they are only $20 at WalMart, I also buy me a new one at the start of each season.

SkeeterPee
12-16-2015, 22:02
Squeezebox has the instructions correct for post hike. Backwash with tap water, then put 1 cap bleach in the bag for an hour, and push some through the filter.

A couple other things that can be helpful is to get a 64oz bag so it it easier to get a couple quarts of water for camp. Sometimes if I don't camp near water, i'll filter 2 liters, then fill up the 16oz bag and 64 oz bag to filter later at camp. That enough for dinner and breakfast and get to next water the next day. In low water areas, you can scoop up some water in a ziplock or bottom of a small water bottle kept as a scoop.

Someone mentioned a gravity feed system. it is something I will plan to experiment with next year. you can use a hole punch on the corners of your dirty water bags and punch holes so you can hang a bag from a tree. also useful when you get home and are drying the bags after the bleach treatment.